Fast heart rate during first weeks of cycle

Jaredborgetti

Bluelighter
I have a resting heart rate of 40 BPM, on the first weeks of my cycle, especially if its a big one, it jumps up to 70-80, and it starts leveling off as weeks go by, ive only ever used test and equipoise, i've read this is pretty normal but I have not found a convincing explanation of why this happens

AAS cause the upregulation of beta-receptors in the nodes which control pulse induction in the heart. This tends to increase heart rate. AAS also stimulate centres in the brain which increase heart activity via the vagus nerve, as well as increasing adrenal activity, and then indirectly by boosting thyroid activity. They also cause an increase in salt/water retention (via angiotensin), blood plasma volume, and (over time) red blood cell concentration. All these things tend to either increase heart rate or blood pressure, and can mess with pulse conduction.

Last edited:
I understand. Anything that can be done about this? And how dangerous is this? I find it very distressing since sometimes on the first weeks of a strong cycle im unable to even exercise since my resting heart rate is so high to begin with I tire really fast. Im assuming this means AAS also increase the risk of sudden cardiac death.

I understand. Anything that can be done about this? And how dangerous is this? I find it very distressing since sometimes on the first weeks of a strong cycle im unable to even exercise since my resting heart rate is so high to begin with I tire really fast. Im assuming this means AAS also increase the risk of sudden cardiac death.

A heart rate of 70-80 is still seen as within normal range for most people, >100 is tachycardic.. If anything 40 bpm might be seen as bordering bradycardic in general population, exceptions being extremely fit athletes.. Most lifestyle practices might not be without some element of risk AAS also, that's why we always advocate a low as dose as possible combined with time off, at least equal to time on...
Generally a combination of factors are present to present deleterious cardiac changes over the longer term, low dose, time off, eat healthy, and exercise to stack the odds more in your favour...

Yeah as GF says, a HR of 70-80 is normal - it shouldn't distress you, and 40 is abnormal (pretty rare, even among top athletes). If you're finding the sides from your cycle difficult in the first weeks, try starting out at a low dose and gradually taper up over the duration of the cycle.