View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Olanzepine to end a bad trip

hoffsteader

Bluelighter
I'm planning on taking some shrooms with a friend next weekend and he seems to be a bit nervous since it has been a long time for him and his last trip was a bad one. I'm wondering how effective it would be to carry some emergency Olanzepine on me in case he or I have a bad trip?

Olanzepine, being an antipsychotic, will kill the trip in its tracks. However, IMO benzos are a better first line of defense, because a solid benzo dose will just knock he intensity way back and greatly reduce anxiety, without the messed up side effects of antipsychotics, and benzos still allow a bit of a chance to gradually come down and integrate. However, if benzos are not an option, it's better to have something. better yet, bring both, and try a benzo first and if there is still danger, use the olanzapine as a last resort. IMO antipsychotics are overkill except for when people totally lose the plot and become a danger to themselves or others.

Exact.

Alprazolam is your best option, because it hits fast and is a decent anxiolytic. Diazepan sublingual will also do the job well.
1mg-2mg of Alprazolam (sublingual) or 10mg-20mg of Diazepan (sublingual) are the correct doses for your purposes.
We took 2.5mg of sublingual diazepam before starting the psychedelic journey as a vasodilator and to undo the initial anxiety a little. It works like a charm.

I have risperidone, which is also an antipsychotic, but I have never needed to use them. They are only necessary in extreme cases because the side effects of this kind of medication is terrible.

DocLad

This will work for sure and the person will more than likely end up sleeping. But you most definetly feel shitty the next day. Anti-psychotics feel dirty IME and the residual effects are undesirable. It's much better to use a benzo as a first line of treatment for a bad trip. They will calm you down pretty quick and it might be enough. That way you can at least sit back a contemplate the experience.

I mellowed myself out a couple times on LSD trips that we're heavy dosage twas stuck in a loop, anxiety etc... It helped me comedown a bit and i enjoyed the rest of my trip.

Yeah, one time relatively recently I was on 4 hits of LSD and 1 hit of AL-LAD, a bump of 3-MeO-PCP, and AMT at a music festival, and some stuff happened that threw me off, and I felt the Fear building... it eventually became a panic attack, a feeling of existential terror that I couldn't reason my way out of. It was horrific. Fortunately I had some etizolam (a benzo) on hand, and I tried dosing 2mg. Unfortunately in my haste and panic I dosed from my other identical-looking bottle, which was DOC. Which of course made me panic even more. But 20 minutes after I dosed the actual 2mg of etizolam, it lessened the trip intensity (though I was still tripping BALLS) and my terror loop was totally gone, I felt super euphiric and ended up tripping for another solid 24 hours and had a great time. An antipsychotic would have put me out, made me feel like shit, and I wouldn't have gone on to have an amazing trip. Antipsychotics are only for when people have a break from reality and start trying to hurt themselves or others, or are otherwise totally out of control and have become a danger. The point of my story was to say that even in the case of a stupidly massive dose of psychedelics and a feeling I wanted to die to escape from, a benzo worked great.

It's worth noting that olanzepine has been linked to an increased risk of diabetes in addition to making you feel like a total zombie for several days after taking it. I've used it as a trip killer before and while it is effective for this purpose I would only use it again as a last line of defense. Typically, a short acting benzo will do the trick with far less side effects. Do bring it anyway as having an "off button" can remove a lot of anxiety about facing the unknown. Also, if you do need to use it take the lowest possible dose that you can. I've had one pill of Olanzepine that is the highest dose produced for nearly a decade now. I still keep it in the box just incase a newbie has problems as I wouldn't take it myself because I don't want to be a zombie for days afterwards and have never felt the need to take anything stronger than 1mg of xanax for kill a trip going south.

If at all possible ride the trip out without aides. I find working through so-called bad trips to be far more rewarding in the long run than killing them.

Olanzepine, being an antipsychotic, will kill the trip in its tracks. However, IMO benzos are a better first line of defense, because a solid benzo dose will just knock he intensity way back and greatly reduce anxiety, without the messed up side effects of antipsychotics, and benzos still allow a bit of a chance to gradually come down and integrate. However, if benzos are not an option, it's better to have something. better yet, bring both, and try a benzo first and if there is still danger, use the olanzapine as a last resort. IMO antipsychotics are overkill except for when people totally lose the plot and become a danger to themselves or others.

Yeah antipsychotics are awful, zyprexa being among the worst. (I take 50mg seroquel often to sleep but that is quite a low amount.)

I work in a hospital pharmacy.
After investigating what would be the best antipsychotic if I had to use it to kill a trip, I would definitely go with Risperidone flash of 1mg.

DocLad

I've had bad trips and wanted to end them completely but i seem to tolerant to most antipsychotic, I remember eating like 20 invegas or so with no difference. I would need like a few chlorpromazines of 100 to end a trip. but keeping some olanzapine around could be usefull, for others anyway...

I think the best thing would be for him not to partake at all. Being nervous because your last trip was bad isn't exactly the best mindset to be in when tripping again - it's almost a self fulfilling prophecy.