• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Kratom Hepatotoxicity

Jaredborgetti

Bluelighter
Is Kratom liver toxic? There are many reports of liver injury from its consumption and also livertox classes it as a probable hepatotoxin I dont know if these are isolated cases or Kratom is instrinsically hepatotoxic.

Is Kratom liver toxic? There are many reports of liver injury from its consumption and also livertox classes it as a probable hepatotoxin I dont know if these are isolated cases or Kratom is instrinsically hepatotoxic.

I dont want to make a definitive statement(as there are very few absolutes in this life) in regards to hepatoxicity but in my experience of 14-30 grams a day consistently for about 3 years now, i got my liver checked(along with other bloodwork) 2 months ago and mine is functioning well within the proper limits.

I have read of people(including some on bluelight) having liver problems who take(or took) kratom regularly so i dont want to neglect mentioning that, but i dont know if it was the cause or just that it exacerbated an existing condition.

If youd like to explore the current scientific findings of kratom, i highly recommend checking out the published work of Dr. Chris McCurdy of University of Florida.
Hes todays leading kratom researcher and has been researching drugs and addiction for 20+ years.

You can find a lot of his work on pubmed and videos on youtube.

There is a tiny subset of the population that lacks the proper gene expression to break down the alkaloids in kratom, and kratom use is dangerous for these people. If there is an upside to this, it is that you will know fairly quickly if you belong to this group of people (a few weeks, most likely), which will start off with flu-like symptoms before progressing to problems more associated with liver function such as dark urine, jaundice etc. But I haven't read of any cases where these problems didn't resolve themselves upon cessation of kratom use, except for when other substances were involved. Bottom line, I think alcohol or even Tylenol are much likelier to cause liver problems than kratom.

Dr. McCurdy is profiled extensively in the kratom documentary A Leaf of Faith.

I used kratom to get off Suboxone after my doctor retired and I couldn't find an alternate quickly. Since then, I've been using some kratom most days before I can sleep as I have pretty bad muscle spasms in my legs. I don't know exactly how much I'm taking as I don't have a gram scale. I use a rounded teaspoon in a plastic spoon that's a little smaller than a regular teaspoon, down from a heaping teaspoon three times a day.

I have cirrhosis from Hepatitis C. I did the Harvoni treatment two years ago. They didn't know how much improvement I'd get with the cirrhosis from treating me and primarily did it to lengthen my life. Due to end-stage COPD/emphysema, I'd been de-listed from the transplant list as it's thought that I can't survive any surgery. My liver has recovered somewhat, and my last several blood tests have been mostly normal.

That includes while I've been taking kratom, so if kratom was liver toxic, I would probably know by now. It hasn't affected my bloodwork or any of the other tests that I still have at least twice a year--ultrasound, sometimes CAT scan, upper endoscopy. In fact, those test results have improved even after I began using kratom daily. So I feel pretty safe with it. Obviously, it doesn't affect everybody. That's not saying that it's not going to harm some people. BTW, I haven't had problems with my kidneys either before kratom or now, so at least for me, it's pretty safe. The problems with my lungs are mainly from 50 years if hard-core continuous smoking and possibly some years of injecting Ritalin pills. I'd be interested to know if the Ritalin shooting has anything to do with my lung disease, but it probably will only be detected if I'm autopsied. And then I won't care, because I'll be dead!%)