Bluelight

Thread: Jackson Cosko - doxxing for Democrats

1. Collapse Details
    Jackson Cosko - doxxing for Democrats 
    Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Thumbs down
    I think we all pretty much agree doxxing is evil, and those who do it should be held to the maximum available penalty. In this instance, a career intern for democrats has been busted for it:

Jackson Cosko, who calls himself a ?Democratic Political Professional? with cybersecurity expertise, is accused of multiple crimes for allegedly doxxing Republican Senators during the Brett Kavanaugh/Christine Blasey Ford hearings.

The United States Capitol Police arrested Cosko, saying he allegedly ?posted private, identifying information (doxing) about one or more United States Senators to the internet,? a statement said.

According to Legistorm, he worked for U.S. Sen. Maggie Hassan (D-NH) and previously worked for Sen. Barbara Boxer (D-CA). He previously worked or was an intern with the office of Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-CA, according to Fox News. A September 2018 letter from Sheila Jackson Lee (D -TX) identified him as a staffer for her office at that time. Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee is a member of the U.S. House Judiciary Committee. (A different person working for Hassan was the intern suspended for shouting F*** you at President Donald Trump recently.)

According to Roll Call, on Monday, October 1, 2018, ?Majority Leader Mitch McConnell?s home addresses in Kentucky and Washington D.C. were added to his public Wikipedia page.? The site added that, during the Senate Judiciary Committee hearing involving Brett Kavanaugh and his accuser Christine Blasey Ford, ?the personal home addresses, home phone numbers, cellphone numbers and email addresses of Sens. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Orrin G. Hatch and Mike Lee, both R-Utah, were added to the public Wikipedia pages from what appeared to be an IP address connected to the Capitol.? The information was then sent to thousands of people through an automated Twitter account that tracks Wikipedia account changes from Congress.

The complaint says that the Wikipedia page for U.S. Senator 4 was also edited to add statements such as, "He dares call for an investigation of ME?!?!?!?!" and "I am the Golden God!" and "Also It's my legal right as an American to post this info" and "We are malicious and hostile." Other statements said "send us bitcoins" and "Wednesday night will be doxxed next."

Accused doxxer of GOP senators allegedly threatened to publish lawmakers' children?s health info

A Democratic congressional aide accused of publishing the private information of at least three Republican lawmakers allegedly threatened to leak senators? children's health information if a witness told anyone about his activities.

Jackson Cosko, who recently worked for Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee, D-Texas, was arrested for allegedly posting the personal information (or "doxxing") of a number of senators including Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., Mike Lee, R-Utah, and Orrin Hatch, R-Utah on Wikipedia -- with information such as their home addresses and phone numbers. Graham, Lee and Hatch's information was published on Thursday.

2. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    he should have just posted it on wikileaks. which reminds me, ecuador is about to boot assange. they cut off his internet in the consulate and wikileaks now belongs to somebody else, but it doesnt seem to have hit the news yet

3. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by tathra View Post
    he should have just posted it on wikileaks. which reminds me, ecuador is about to boot assange. they cut off his internet in the consulate and wikileaks now belongs to somebody else, but it doesnt seem to have hit the news yet
    So you support doxing private, politically irrelevant information (only useful for personal attacks, not whistleblowing in the slightest) as long as it's on wikileaks?

4. Collapse Details

I think tathra mentioned wikileaks tongue-in-cheek, but took a tangent on assange.

I can't believe this guy is 27 and thinks this is acceptable. Though, it appears he is on his fourth or fifth Democratic internship, so...

5. Collapse Details

I agree it's unacceptable to put this information out in a malicious manner, though a part of me believes people should know the locations of their senators. If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.

6. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    I agree it's unacceptable to put this information out in a malicious manner, though a part of me believes people should know the locations of their senators. If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.
    Are you serious... You shouldn't have privacy,
    and be safe, in your own home, as a senator? Who the hell would want to be a senator?

7. Collapse Details

@SheWasLvl18: you mean like famous people get located easily in public or public officials should have even less of a private life than famous people do?

8. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by SheWasLvL18 View Post
    If you're a public servant you shouldn't have the same privacy rights if those rights allow you to hide information or hide physically from the public, IMO.
    In a sense, if you are a gov't official, your name is known and you count on local recognition to get you elected into office. However, you then move into the public office, with the public address. And keep your personal life separate. Always.

It's a job. They have a publicly known address to speak with them regarding their job. That office is available to whomever fills the job next, with an address and phone number to be reached at.

Personal lives matter. It's why we don't work out of our homes. Someone takes issue with how you do your job, they should take it up where you do your work, not at your personal residence with your family and children in witness.

9. Collapse Details

I have a question.

If a person who is a Senator or anyone else has their personal contact details up in public on the internet (like a white pages directory), is taking that info and putting it up elsewhere "doxing" or is that just being an arsehole?

Or is the term "doxxing" referencing finding details ie address etc and making them public actual doxing?

I thought doxing was a little more like blackmail or extortion, that's not that much fun to deal with.

Either way, the internet is a tool for various seedy behaviours, definately a dog act to do.

Over here the ancient form of communication used by early man known as the POST was used as a scare tactic during the last election (state or national I dobt remember which) with various govt wannabes being sent death threats on paper.

That seemed to hit home harder as did the dead rats dropped on their front door.

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    In this incident he got the info off House computers.