Bluelight

Thread: 2018 Nobel Prize winners - James Allison (US) & Tasuku Honjo (Japan)

1. Collapse Details
    2018 Nobel Prize winners - James Allison (US) & Tasuku Honjo (Japan) 
    Sometimes current events are guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.

US researcher James Allison and Japanese researcher Tasuku Honjo have won the 2018 Nobel Prize for Physiology or Medicine for their ground-breaking work on manipulating the immune system to combat cancer.

“By stimulating the inherent ability of our immune system to attack tumor cells this year’s Nobel Laureates have established an entirely new principle for cancer therapy,” said the Nobel Assembly at Sweden’s Karolinska Institute.

Allison studied a known protein that functions as a brake on the immune system, and realised the potential of releasing the brake and thereby unleashing our immune cells to attack tumors. He then developed this concept into a brand new approach for treating patients.

Tasuku Honjo discovered a protein on immune cells and, after exploring its function, eventually revealed that it also operates as a brake, but with a different mechanism of action. Therapies based on his discovery proved to be strikingly effective in the fight against cancer.

“The Nobel Prize-winning discoveries made by these scientists has revolutionised not only our understanding of the immune system and cancer, but also the field of cancer treatment,” commented Professor Charles Swanton, Cancer Research UK’s chief clinician.

“Thanks to this groundbreaking work, our own immune system’s innate power against cancer has been realised and harnessed into treatments that continue to save the lives of patients. For cancers such as advanced melanoma, lung, and kidney, these immune-boosting drugs have transformed the outlook for many patients who had run out of options.”

2. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Sober Living
    North & South America Drug Discussion
    fixed up the title a bit for ya

in theory, getting the immune system to attack cancer cells is one of the best treatments we could get, since it would be able to act as a 'vaccine' against cancer too, but how can we be sure it wouldnt result in an auto-immune disorder, with the immune cells attacking non-cancerous cells too? from what i understand there would need to be something distinct about the cancer cells to differentiate them from healthy cells to prevent this, and there not being such a thing is one of the reasons cancer is so problematic

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Current Events and Politics
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Interesting article, I really hope some of these magic sounding cures we always hear about actually eventuate one day.

4. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Cancer scares the shit out of me. I always hope that, if I ever get it, we'll know how to handle it easily by then.

5. Collapse Details

^Known many who have died from it, yeah man, it's a tricky one...but dont worry, the dystopia that is global-warming may ruin us first!

Quote Originally Posted by tathra View Post
    fixed up the title a bit for ya

in theory, getting the immune system to attack cancer cells is one of the best treatments we could get, since it would be able to act as a 'vaccine' against cancer too, but how can we be sure it wouldnt result in an auto-immune disorder, with the immune cells attacking non-cancerous cells too? from what i understand there would need to be something distinct about the cancer cells to differentiate them from healthy cells to prevent this, and there not being such a thing is one of the reasons cancer is so problematic
    Thanks for fixin', Tathra.

Quote Originally Posted by swilow View Post
    Interesting article, I really hope some of these magic sounding cures we always hear about actually eventuate one day.
    ^There is no perfect solution/cure, agree with you both - it's not wise to fly straight toward an overly, optimistic naivete, for sure - although, many cancers are treatable and many treatments have worked but it doesn't make good-news. This, though at least offers some kind of progress - chemo and radium are often, worse than the disease. We shall see.
    Last edited by Asclepius; 09-10-2018 at 00:49.