• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Calling Marijuana Dope

Because of the crime. The horrible, evil soul destroying crime.

VJRnAfc.jpg

My tax dollars went to this shit. Government published this October 2nd

Tom

^The fuck is that shit that better not be happening nation wide. It has already been a mess of a legalization, I happened to be prescribed it now and it seems like there are a lot of mixed messages going on. I think it would support new jobs, the economy, tourism, health care, prison space and freedom for harmless gardeners, all sorts of positive stuff.

If there is brainwashing propaganda going on, it doesn't seem to be impacting me getting baked on chron legally every day. Seems to make other folks hysteric over a weed.

My medical marihuana is still spelt with that "H" - cracks me up. Reefer... anyone know where that originated from? It is not my preference, something about the connotation.

Ganja is a great term for the herb, one of my favourites. As much as I swear I prefer not to refer to chron as good shit though.

Chron or chronic doesn't seem to have stuck though, maybe because of all the strains out now. I use it to refer to potent, very well grown indoor weed that is caked in resin glands and people don't seem to understand that what I mean is I simply want an excellent grow.

I believe it's more of an older generation issue and that's just semantics from what they grew up hearing most often.

Also you'll find some old heads who call dope just showing their age and then there's old assholes who call it dope in a derogatory way to cast a negative shadow over something they so obviously disagree with.

Reefer... anyone know where that originated from?

In railroading, before mechanical refrigeration, "reefer" cars were filled with ice and straw to keep meat and fresh fruit and vegetables from spoiling during shipment. These cool cars were the namesake of the reefer cigarettes that jazz players used to keep"cool".

thumbnail.asp

a Typical Reefer car circa 1920 - 1940

To me, the term dope has always connotes opioids. The opioids in my collection are the only drugs I call 'dope', because they're truly dopey drugs.

For weed, I prefer the term 'wacky tobaccy' or 'Devil's Lettuce' lol

I really don't care what people call it though. Doesn't effect my enjoyment of the plant.

True that, to each their own when calling a weed a weed - David Foster Wallace did this in his phenomenal novel Infinite Jest, calling it Bob Hope (unless people were calling it that but I've never heard weed called Bob Hope before.

People with different brain chemistry can have drastic and different effects from the same drug. If I take an adderall, or anything more than like 50mg of oral meth I'd have a panic attack for sure. I don't really like stimulants, I was fine with good white though. Loved the stuff. The same dose of adderall will mellow someone else out and help them focus or something well I am not them so I wouldn't know. For myself I have racing thoughts, chronic anxiety and a panic disorder. Downers allow me to keep my head on my shoulders and calm me down, relax my body enough to be at ease with myself and focus on a task.

Heroin was a stimulant for me. It energized my mind and enhanced my cognitive abilities, it had a trippy effect I can't explain but involved telepathy with close ones, I was in fucking agony at the time from a severe injury to my thoracic spine; a facet joint was totally fucked, I have been in constant pain for like 7 years but it made it evaporate. I felt like before the injury it was such a good painkiller. These were low doses, like 25mg or so or even less and not iv'd but really pure. It motivated me as I felt normal, and not like an outcast. I had great jobs when I was using it. I was reliable for like 4 years until I wasn't, then gradually I lost everything I had gained and a lot more as well.

I would say that benzos are truly dopey drugs, but I would never say that opioids are truly dopey drugs. If they were, there is no way I would be that functional of an addict, railing lines in the bathroom on christmas morning and nobody ever even found out that I was using except my bro whom I told exclusively and never said a word even while I was still using. Benzos mess me up I never should have got into them for the panic attacks they were so bad though and had gone on for so long. Opiates were overall a spiritual experience, I get they kill a lot of people and I am lucky as fuck and a total dumbass for using it at all. It was the biggest mistake of my life, but I only ever felt dopey when I didn't have dope and was in withdrawal. Within a day I'd be incapacitated and unable to make it to the washroom let alone get money for dope. That is sort of how I quit. It was miserable. I am lucky there were definiitely close calls. Man, that shit is so bad for you.

If you want to call marijuana "dope" you have to say it properly.

"I'm smoking dope bitch! Shit too strong!"

If you say "I enjoy smoking dope" yes you should be slapped.

the whole dope slang can get confusing. nobody really refers to weed like that in my areas of experience, but both crack and heroin were referred to as dope and it would get awful confusing talking to other polydrug users sometimes about who had the best dope.

It depends on the area where you are as well. In the states I imagine that 'dope' has more of a negative connotation than probably the rest of the world. If it is legal though who cares what to call it but we just legalized here and it's not actually legal. It's harder for me to get and I had to link with my old dealer for the top shelf. We don't give a fuck here though I've been high for 14 months straight literally. It sucks though I can't fucking quit, not after 15 years it never stcks there is no point anymore than being a doper. I love smoking dope I don't give a fuck! If you mean heroin though, I way prefer to snort it over any other opiate or way. I've been toking some dope out of my bong all morning and feeling great. Got some indica and sativa, both are pretty dope.

The narrator Joanna Newson I think, she is a musician, there is a line in the work-of-art Paul Thomas Anderson film Inherent Vice where she says "...and he was just about the only doper in the area who didn't do heroin, freeing up a lot of time for them" so yeah like it depends on the area for sure. We call ourselves dopers here, instead of potheads a lot of the time cause it's just funny in our culture to associate weed with harder drugs as everyone knows it's just bullshit now.

In many areas of the west coast it actually refers to meth. In the northeast USA it seems to exclusively refer to heroin, though.

Using the word "dope" to refer to weed is archaic and almost stereotypically old fashioned, IMHO

"That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with Artificial Paradises seems very unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, at the best so monotonous, poor and limited that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves if only for a few moments, is and has always been one of the principal appetites of the soul. Art and religion, carnivals and saturnalia, dancing and listening to oratory -- all these have served, in H. G. Wells's phrase, as Doors in the Wall. And for private, far everyday use there have always been chemical intoxicants. All the vegetable sedatives and narcotics, all the euphorics that grow on trees, the hallucinogens that ripen in berries or can be squeezed from roots -- all, without exception, have been known and systematically used by human beings from time immemorial. And to these natural modifiers of consciousness modern science has added its quota of synthetics -- chloral, for example, and benzedrine, the bromides and the barbiturates.

Most of these modifiers of consciousness cannot now be taken except under doctor's orders, or else illegally and at considerable risk. For unrestricted use the West has permitted only alcohol and tobacco. All the other chemical Doors in the Wall are labeled Dope, and their unauthorized takers are Fiends."

- Aldous Huxley, 1954

I feel like when cops say you got any dope in the vehicle a lot of the time they still mean weed haha. Location depending though like not if you're out of place in the hood and look like you are strung out. Pretty sure they mean heroin then but it's so confusing because now it apparently means meth. In the pacific northwest at least way up here they call dope heroin.

None of it makes sense to me. Why call a drug "dope"? It is condescending, like the drug being referred to has an inherently dopey property that makes the user dumber than the average person. This is not true for any drug you can't generalize that. Weed makes me smarter but less in synch with the modern day world, and definitely slower, not that that's bad, helps me think things through and not be edgy, although it is in my opinion a requirement of my existence at this point. I require pot.

They should see how I look when I'm anything close to 'sober'. Even when I was a heroin addict I was railing lines of pure as fuck afghan #4 in the washroom on Christmas morning. It's a problem when you don't have it or decide you want to try and quit. It's the drug laws that are in place to begin with that are stupid as fuck. Locking people up for having a drug problem that is not actually ever really the actual problem, like the worst thing you could do to someone like that and the dealers in my opinion are not going anywhere. You can't have prohibition in any form of drug use without someone stepping in to rake in the coin. It's like people get bored and go to war with themselves. I guess that could be a way of looking at some addictions as well.

Weed should be called whatever you want to call it but yeah like know what the local slang is obviously or you might end up with a bag of vinegar smelling pale tan chunky rocks and then a heroin addiction trying to cop a bag of green dope.

Last edited:
Ffs get over it.
My old man always called it dope.
I sometimes still do.
It doesnt give me an aneurysm.
It's a fucking name!!! You do realise there's hundreds of slang names for weed right. Why the fuck are you so affected.? People really are that bothered? By a name??
Hilarious.

Ffs get over it.
My old man always called it dope.
I sometimes still do.
It doesnt give me an aneurysm.
It's a fucking name!!! You do realise there's hundreds of slang names for weed right. Why the fuck are you so affected.? People really are that bothered? By a name??
Hilarious.

Speaking of things that shouldn't effect me but do, how the fuck have you had an account for 6 years and only posted 16 times?

That's nuts, dude. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or just confused.

Speaking of things that shouldn't effect me but do, how the fuck have you had an account for 6 years and only posted 16 times?

That's nuts, dude. I'm not sure if I'm impressed or just confused.

I think they execute you in the UK for talking about illegal things now... at least, that wouldn't surprise me. Gotta be 18 to buy plastic picnic butter knives there lol

it depends on who's asking/ calling it dope

Say a parent caught there child high on weed, Have you been smoking dope?? because you look like you have! is a legitimate question. (That's actually what mumma wubb said to me all those years ago)
Dope = weed to the uneducated person

Now if I went up to some of the lads and said can you boys get me any dope, I'd be on my way to buying a bundle

The original term comes from the creation of dopamine in the brain.

We are all really addicted to dopamine and serotonin, various drugs just help us create more of it.

Specifically I've been using marijuana for 6 years to offset my lower dopamine levels. Works wonders at providing my brain with the ability to create more dopamine.

The results are vast, consciously I have enough dopamine to think things through quickly and completely, in a crisis I function far above average and in my current work setting there are dozens of serious crisis that require instant clear thinking.

Unconsciously I also have a far greater pool of dopamine available, this is where all the amazing cures come from with marijuana use. My conscious brain has about 200 inputs a second selected mostly by my unconscious brain. My unconscious brain has about 4 million inputs per second so having a greater pool of dopamine Allows for better mental connections unconsciously as well as consciously.

Given enough "dope", your brain can keep you healthier, some people just have trouble dealing with their own thinking process and fear using marijuana. Luckily with enough dopamine in your brain you can overcome fear

Edit. Because we are pretty sure we all know what we are talking about.

Dopamine is a derived word from combining the name of the ammo acid that is turned into dopamine in your brain.

The original amino acid is called Dopa. It was discovered in 1900ish. It is created in the liver naturally but is also synthetically produced called a few names but levodopa is most commonly used in Parkinson's patients.

It could be that the German doctor named them all after his "Dopen dippin' sauce".

Last edited:
It really has absolutely nothing to do with dopamine.
The best thing I could ever find on this subject, the etymology of 'dope' is here:
http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-dop2.htm
Some very fascinating stuff there and I'd say that answer is about the most well researched answer you'll ever get on this question.
There are so many different threads into history for this term but not one of them is that it is short for (or related to) dopamine. . .
I won't ask you to provide a source though, i know you just make stuff up and declare it fact.