1. Collapse Details
    Brain-to-brain network allows three people to share their thoughts 
    Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    I thought this looked very interesting. Thoughts?

There have been experiments in direct brain-to-brain communication before, but that's now extending to full-fledged networks. Researchers have developed a three-person brain network that lets participants send thoughts to each other -- in this case, to play a Tetris-style game. It used familiar technology, but in a much more scalable format.

The network relied on a combination of electroencephalograms to record electrical activity and transcranial magnetic stimulation to send info. Only one person could both send and receive data, but they also couldn't see the full screen -- that was up to two people who could send thoughts to the receiver. Those two would issue commands to rotate a block by focusing their attention on LEDs flashing at different frequencies, modifying their brain signals. The receiver would not only know whether or not to change the block, but could even determine whether or not one of the senders was playing a trick.

This isn't telepathy by any stretch. It requires external intervention, and can only send one "bit" of data at a time. The technology could scale up to a much larger number of people, though, and it suggests that you could eventually transmit considerably more complex thoughts across groups. That could easily create confusion (not to mention raise serious privacy issues), but it could be useful for both new forms of communication and help scientists learn about the inner workings of the brain.
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/09/30/...rk/?yptr=yahoo

I find this fascinating. Even though it's only the barest start to transmission of data directly from one brain to another, the fact that we have begun such a thing is pretty amazing. Also perhaps terrifying.

2. Collapse Details

Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Homeless & Anonymous
    I think great idea rather than terrifying. As someone with some level of autism, many of my thoughts get 'trapped' inside my head and I'm not really capable of expressing them cogently or coherently - the bus to my language centre is bottlenecked or something Being able to convey my thoughts instantly into another person's head would be such a relief.

OTOH I think that's probably hundreds of years away as, in reality, we know virtually nothing about the brain

3. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    I guess in terms of "possibly terrifying", I was imagining a future scenario where "TV" advertises to you in he form of direct thoughts, and the ability to create actual thoughts in someone (by talking to them inside their own head, basically except more root-level than talking) could blur the line of self.

But yeah, SO many times I've wished I could plug into someone's head to communicate what I'm trying to communicate to them that words can't express adequately. Another thing I hope is in the future is the ability to record and play back memories, in yourself and maybe also being able to share with others.