• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Reasons why/or anyone else who feels terrible combining Benadryl, Klonopin Melatonin?

Mycophile

Bluelighter
This kind of goes with my other thread.

I've discovered that a number of different things I stupidly take or do to myself make me feel horrible and like I need 12 hours of sleep to feel even REMOTELY rested, but one on the top of the list is to take benadryl/diphenhydramine (even just ONE pill, not sure the mgs, but I know 2 pills is the prescribed dose OTC for allergies) on top of a nightly dose of 1-1.5mgs of Klonopin and 3 & 3/4mgs of Melatonin.

I always need Melatonin to sleep, and usually Klonopin as well by prescription, cause for some reason I just can't stick to a normal sleep schedule and drink too much coffee when I'm awake (which is mostly at night). Time and again I revert to a nocturnal schedule, and resort to sleeping pills to knock me out, but at least when I am on a REASONABLY decent schedule I do not need benadryl to put me to sleep. Basically, I am socially jet-legged all the time as if I was living half way across the world, feeling good at night and exhausted during the day, which only works cause I mainly work at night, except one day when I have to get up at 8AM and thats when I'm reminded of how off my schedule is...

Klonopin and melatonin together without the benadryl can still make me feel shitty, but not ALWAYS, but if I throw even ONE benadryl in it's like I wake up feeling sick and weak as hell.

Is this just basic common logic that I'm combining 3 downers so of course it makes me feel terrible and that's all that it is, or is there something specifically toxic about the combination of benadryl and Klonopin?

I'm guessing it's just that I'm combining ANY 3 downers, and I need to stop the benadryl.

What I'm trying to tell myself is that it's better to just get less sleep or no sleep at all for a day or even too WITHOUT the benadryl and then go to sleep early, but when it's 6AM and you have to get up at 8 it's hard to avoid taking something you know will put you out, but that's what I know I have to do.

I mean my brother takes benadryl nightly but DOESN'T take Klonopin or Melatonin and says he feels fine the next day, so I think it's clearly the combo, but I've never heard anyone else report that they've felt like death warmed over and they couldn't wake up for 12 hours after taking benadryl on top of Klonopin and Melatonin.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

For what it's worth...I don't take klonopin but I do drink every night and take 50mg Benadryl and around 2.5mg melatonin. I've never had the issues the next day you've described. I've also taken the above with temazepam many times in the past and never noticed any difference.

I am a chronic insomniac and I always used to flip out about getting enough sleep until I decided to just quit worrying about it. Eventually you'll sleep. An obvious solution would be to cut the nightly caffeine. And if the coffee consumption is more just a habit, try switching it out with decaf. And do you really need the Benadryl to knock you out? You could try cutting the Benadryl and taking a lower dose of melatonin. Seems counterintuitive, but less is actually more effective. After cutting the caffeine, if you still have problems with sleep onset, there are other meds that can help with that like Remeron (another med where less is more) or Ambien, although combining Klonopin and Ambien is probably a bad idea.

I am a chronic insomniac and I always used to flip out about getting enough sleep until I decided to just quit worrying about it. Eventually you'll sleep. An obvious solution would be to cut the nightly caffeine. And if the coffee consumption is more just a habit, try switching it out with decaf. And do you really need the Benadryl to knock you out? You could try cutting the Benadryl and taking a lower dose of melatonin. Seems counterintuitive, but less is actually more effective. After cutting the caffeine, if you still have problems with sleep onset, there are other meds that can help with that like Remeron (another med where less is more) or Ambien, although combining Klonopin and Ambien is probably a bad idea.

I agree that cutting down on caffeine is the best idea so I'm about to start working on that over the weekend since I have a week off work.

That is the most important thing IMO, along with also getting on a good sleep schedule.

The only times I really need bendaryl are Thursday nights since Friday is the one day I have to wake up early since I usually work at night, or if I mess up and take Kratom or Adderall too late at night.

Basically, my body is always jet legged cause I go to sleep too late and wake up too late since I can usually get away with it cause I usually work at night, but then that one day I can, or sometimes other days if I want to fall asleep earlier, it becomes an issue, and that's the only reason I ever feel I need benadryl.

Adding in Ambien would certainly be worse for me. That stuff is just terrible IMO and makes me feel knocked out.

I wouldn't take less Melatonin, I respond to it well, just not the benadryl.

I agree that just not worrying about sleep is the best thing to do and dealing with getting less for a day if necessary rather than more on a drug, cause in reality I feel better on 6 hours of sleep without the benadryl than freaking 10 hours on it.

When I can't fall asleep and think of taking it I try to remind myself that with sleep it's not always quantity but quality and tell myself I'll feel better if I don't take it.

I think it's not a specifically negative interaction between Klonopin, Melatonin and Bendryl, and more that it's just 3 sleep drugs, and that's a lot of crap that's going to knock you out and probably not feel great the next day.

Benadryl makes me feel like shit sometimes. Try cutting that out. Sleep hygiene is really important too