Getting the most out of Whey protein powder

Speed King

Bluelighter
I have been using Whey protein powder for a while with the goal of helping build muscle and taking possibly helping my neurotransmitters.

I have heard that B vitamins help with this, but is there anything better that I can do to get the most out of it?

I really am interested in any neurotransmitter help I can get from it.

Thanks

Why protein will have little effect on neurotransmitters. Staying drug free, clean diet, and plenty of rest will help you accomplish your goals. Whey just helps to supplement your protein intake, and there are better sources of protein anyway.

^That. What are you trying to accomplish in regards to neurotransmitters?

You can take L-Tyrosine, 5-HTP (or L-Tryptophan) and mucuna pruriens if you want a neurotransmitter 'optimization'.

You could also take a supplemental multi-B vitamin with food. There's pretty good evidence for B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9/11, B12 all doing good stuff, from cancer to tendon strength and neurodegeneration.

A very varied diet rich in seeds/nuts, legumes, vegetables, fruits, dairy, eggs, meat, oily fish and whole grains would probably give you all that you need, in a more bioavailable form, which is clearly preferable, but obviously not everyone manages to eat optimally all the time.

Also with the whey since it digests quickly, a lot can be turned to glucose. Mix with food to slow the digestion of it a little to help make it more effective. I put mine in my oatmeal or poured as a shake over cereal in place of milk.

Thank you all for the replies. Afa the neurotransmitters go, since I read on the side of supplement the typical amino acid complex per 2 scoops in my case, I figured I would gain a mental bonus due to the precursers in the protein. I do blend in banana, spinach, kale and other healthy items when I make a drink.
I never considered blending in oatmeal. It seems to help my energy levels also.

Notes made on the regular food items to incorporate into my diet.

If I could, I would take some testosterone in appropriate amounts, but I am not there yet.

Am I gaining anything from supplementing with it? I wont buy anymore if its garbage.

Protein is protein for the most part, you can supplement or eat a chicken breast/meat, eggs, etc. The whey I get is cheaper on a gram or gram basis than any food items at the store so sometimes Ill use it in place of food just from a cost perspective but getting protein from whey isn?t going to benefit you more than other protein sources

Oh its definitely beneficial for eating on the go to get in the protein and calories needed. Add in a bit of fat to your blend to slow the digestion a bit more like maybe yogurt or nut oils. Don't need a lot volume wise. For my oatmeal it's oats+eggs+whey+cinnamon. Good amounts of carbs, protein, and fat but not overly filling.

Also, if you?re looking for more of a replacement comparable to food in terms of absorption/digestion then casein or milk protein is a good way to go and can go with other whole foods as mentioned to mimic the amino acid release of something like chicken. I do that a lot since it mixes thicker and keeps me feeling a little more full