• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Careers Got Blamed for a Mistake at Work that I Didn't Do

Lovecraft

Bluelighter
It's not that I don't ever make stupid mistakes, but this one is so unlikely given the steps and processes I take to get my tasks done. To make this error, it would have either meant that I had an Altzeimers type of lapse or someone else did it either to fuck with me or by accident. And as much as I don't like to think this way, the most likely scenario is that someone was purposefully trying to sabotage me.

I feel like I have to take the blame because I have zero material evidence to corroborate the fact that I didn't do it, other than what I explained above, about the way I structure the steps in my day and how it makes a mistake such as this virtually impossible coming from me. But then I don't want my boss to think I'm shrugging off how serious of an issue it is....which it is.

Tell him that you both understand the severity of the issue and the necessity to determine the cause as well as know it could not have been you, and had it been, you would have reported it immediately.

Tell him that you both understand the severity of the issue and the necessity to determine the cause as well as know it could not have been you, and had it been, you would have reported it immediately.

This is the best way to go about it.

In addition, you could ask who blamed you for the mistake, showing that you know for a fact that you did not make this mistake.

I'm not sure I'd ask who blamed you, that could come off as trying to get yourself out of something. You could ask to help him figure out what did happen, however.

That I don't do my job because I'm on Bluelight the whole fucking day hahaha!

A lot of workplaces have protocols in place to prevent small mistakes from becoming big ones. Perhaps this would be a good opportunity to ask for a committee meeting to assess the workflow pattern and the culprit will become obvious. If there aren't workflow protocols, suggest it and be the big hero to the boss.

I've had to deal with colleagues sabotaging my work but since there are several layers involved in the protection of accuracy with my present employer, there's little problem with that. Sure, it feels a little creepy at times that your work is being looked over at one or even two higher levels, but we never have accuracy issues and I haven't heard of a single incident of professional sabotage and I've been there almost 10 yrs.