Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

South Africa's top court legalises private use of cannabis

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
South Africa's top court legalises private use of cannabis
Al Jazeera
September 18th, 2018

South Africa's highest court has legalised the private use of marijuana, upholding a lower court's ruling that found the criminalisation of cannabis was unconstitutional.

In delivering the Constitutional Court's unanimous verdict, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo on Tuesday declared the law banning marijuana use in private by adults "is unconstitutional and therefore invalid".

"It will not be a criminal offence for an adult person to use or be in possession of cannabis in private for his or her personal consumption," he said in Johannesburg.

The court also ordered parliament to draft new laws within 24 months to reflect the order.

However, the judgement did not specify the amount that can be used by an adult in private use.

Read the full story here.

Nice!

When are you guys going to have pot stores? Would make for great tourism industry. Lots of jobs and $

When are you guys going to have pot stores? Would make for great tourism industry. Lots of jobs and $

Assuming you're referring to the situation in Canada, not South Africa: the first stores will be opening on October 17th. Not all the provinces will have brick-and-mortar stores right off the bat but most will. Some provinces will have only privately-run stores, some will have only government-run stores, and some will have both. Here's a summary of the policies for each province. My guess is that demand is going to far outpace supply for a while, but you can bet new stores will be built mighty quickly once the money comes rushing in.

Well, yeah, as the Chief Justice of South Africa said, "[banning the private use of marijuana]...is unconstitutional and therefore invalid". Is this, then, not the case for any and all private drug use?

I mean, I'm no legal expert, but the wording of the judgment sets a precedent, and I reckon it's basically over in South Africa.

Assuming you're referring to the situation in Canada, not South Africa: the first stores will be opening on October 17th. Not all the provinces will have brick-and-mortar stores right off the bat but most will. Some provinces will have only privately-run stores, some will have only government-run stores, and some will have both. Here's a summary of the policies for each province. My guess is that demand is going to far outpace supply for a while, but you can bet new stores will be built mighty quickly once the money comes rushing in.

Was referring to SA but that is great to know :D

Well, yeah, as the Chief Justice of South Africa said, "[banning the private use of marijuana]...is unconstitutional and therefore invalid". Is this, then, not the case for any and all private drug use?

I mean, I'm no legal expert, but the wording of the judgment sets a precedent, and I reckon it's basically over in South Africa.

They'll reword it so that it's totally OK to control heroin, etc.

In the event they let all drugs become legal; this is no big major victory; SA is not close to production countries of heroin, cocaine, etc. Drugs should not be dirt cheap hence this is a small battle in the grand scale.