Bluelight

Thread: Colonizing Neptune

1. Collapse Details
    Colonizing Neptune 
    Performance Enhancing Drugs
    Homeless & Anonymous
    Earth
    I enjoy this guy's technology series. It's obviously hypothetical, but interesting nonetheless

2. Collapse Details

Neptune is my favourite planet

yay for Neptune

3. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    Cool! Interesting ideas there. Also interesting to me, an old friend of mine has a really similar voice, and the exact same speech impediment, and is also a genius who studies space. I haven't seen him since we were 18, it would be crazy if this was him.

4. Collapse Details

I'll watch that when I have more time but it looks interesting, I've always loved the idea of colonising gas giants, especially the really hostile ones, ie, cryogiants, Jupiter-type worlds, maybe even hot Jupiters in some far future scenario...

What a view that would be to be in a floating, dynamically stabilised city watching a storm the size of the Earth raging outside. Not to mention the extreme sports that would no doubt come about... no thrill quite like skydiving from the cloud tops into 1000km/h winds, megavolt lightning strikes flickering around you as you descend into the white-blue haze of supercooled methane vapours until you can almost feel the splashes of the phase transition giving way to a roiling, bottomless and dark sea... engaging your slimline thrusters at the last moment as your wingsuit's pressure warning starts to sound, and climbing back upwards into a vast, alien sky...

I could be off here but I think some of the "friendlier" giants might even have human-livable atmospheric pressures and tolerable Gs at certain altitudes... I think maybe Saturn might be one of them. Obviously (presumably) it might still be dangerous to hang about outside due to unpredictable wind speeds (and an unbreathable atmosphere, but that's perhaps a technologically solvable problem). But still, some mindblowing otherworldly settlements could be set up, with horizons that seem unfathomable to humans today.

That said, I do feel colonising gas giants is largely going to be a vanity project, at least at first, due to the immense technological challenges to be overcome compared to a more bog-standard settlement on a rocky world... but one day, hopefully. Probably dedicated, largely robotic industrial complexes like futuristic oil wells to extract hydrogen and helium for fusion reactors would be the logical first step, and luxury sky resorts would come a lot later.

Something else I find pretty fascinating is the prospect that certain extrasolar gas giants have been found to have a very high water content, so it's perhaps conceivable that some worlds would have a recognisable surface ocean... no doubt a fiercely violent sea, and one with no seabed to speak of, but the thought gives rise to a whole plethora of fantastic oceanworld scenarios.I've often thought how cool it would be if some kind of life were to evolve on a gas giant, some kind of floating whale/jellyfish like creature... unfortunately the Fermi paradox being what it is, and the ones in our own system being particular dry giants, this scenario is looking a little unlikely. But who knows what the descendants of humanity will find.

5. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    I would absolutely fucking LOVE to be able to watch Jupiter rise. Seems like for one portion of the day, the whole sky would be filled with swirling psychedelic patterns. And you could watch the transition, as a horizon of it slowly replaced the starry sky.

6. Collapse Details

Homeless & Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Vastness View Post
    I'll watch that when I have more time but it looks interesting, I've always loved the idea of colonising gas giants, especially the really hostile ones, ie, cryogiants, Jupiter-type worlds, maybe even hot Jupiters in some far future scenario...

What a view that would be to be in a floating, dynamically stabilised city watching a storm the size of the Earth raging outside. Not to mention the extreme sports that would no doubt come about... no thrill quite like skydiving from the cloud tops into 1000km/h winds, megavolt lightning strikes flickering around you as you descend into the white-blue haze of supercooled methane vapours until you can almost feel the splashes of the phase transition giving way to a roiling, bottomless and dark sea... engaging your slimline thrusters at the last moment as your wingsuit's pressure warning starts to sound, and climbing back upwards into a vast, alien sky...

I could be off here but I think some of the "friendlier" giants might even have human-livable atmospheric pressures and tolerable Gs at certain altitudes... I think maybe Saturn might be one of them. Obviously (presumably) it might still be dangerous to hang about outside due to unpredictable wind speeds (and an unbreathable atmosphere, but that's perhaps a technologically solvable problem). But still, some mindblowing otherworldly settlements could be set up, with horizons that seem unfathomable to humans today.

That said, I do feel colonising gas giants is largely going to be a vanity project, at least at first, due to the immense technological challenges to be overcome compared to a more bog-standard settlement on a rocky world... but one day, hopefully. Probably dedicated, largely robotic industrial complexes like futuristic oil wells to extract hydrogen and helium for fusion reactors would be the logical first step, and luxury sky resorts would come a lot later.

Something else I find pretty fascinating is the prospect that certain extrasolar gas giants have been found to have a very high water content, so it's perhaps conceivable that some worlds would have a recognisable surface ocean... no doubt a fiercely violent sea, and one with no seabed to speak of, but the thought gives rise to a whole plethora of fantastic oceanworld scenarios.I've often thought how cool it would be if some kind of life were to evolve on a gas giant, some kind of floating whale/jellyfish like creature... unfortunately the Fermi paradox being what it is, and the ones in our own system being particular dry giants, this scenario is looking a little unlikely. But who knows what the descendants of humanity will find.
    Nice post. I think you'll enjoy his video and many others from the series. Really discusses a lot of these topics

7. Collapse Details

Homeless & Anonymous
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    I would absolutely fucking LOVE to be able to watch Jupiter rise. Seems like for one portion of the day, the whole sky would be filled with swirling psychedelic patterns. And you could watch the transition, as a horizon of it slowly replaced the starry sky.
    In other words it would be nice to take a vacation on Europa for a few weeks

8. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    The Dark Side
    Yeah basically. It's so cool that they're working on a mission to send a rover there... 2020 is the target I think I recall? Really excited to see if they find any life in the water there, even if it's something akin to bacterial and nothing more. I really, really want to be able to compare life from somewhere else to life on Earth. All of our assumptions about what life forms are like come from the fact that we've only ever seen one planet's version of life. Even if Europa (assuming it does have life which I'm not, I'm just hoping) was seeded by the same seed as Earth, conditions from the very beginning up through now are going to be different than they are here, so who knows what different paths evolution could take... if a different path was taken right from the beginning, the places it could lead to are pretty unfathomable.