• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids 30mg codeine a day for pain - will I get addicted?

arielseamermaid

Greenlighter
Hi all,

I have come here as every google search just spills out rehab listings.

I currently take between 15 - 30mg of codeine 5-6 times a week for severe endometriosis, its one of those things where its chronic and really fucking painful.

I am concerned about my codeine intake, will I get addicted if I carry on taking it at this level daily?

And is being addicted worse than being in pain?

I wish I could just smoke MJ but its not legal where I am so....

Hi there arielseamermaid

Is it over the counter codeine you are taking or prescription codeine and does the product contain any paracetamol?

You can become addicted to codeine if you take it every day at the dosage you take. However as codeine is the weakest of the opiates, and you are taking such a low dose. Addiction would take longer than say, someone on a higher dose of a more potent opiate.

Also at this dosage the withdrawal symptoms would likely be mild, but still potentially unpleasant. Regular use of codeine may eventually cause: Constipation, Reduced sex drive, Irregular periods, Tension and muscle twitches, Needing to use more to get the same effect (tolerance) and Dependence on codeine both biochemically (physical dependance) and psychologically (addiction)

It's very difficult to say whether the pain of your condition exceeds the downside of addiction and WD, as pain perception is different for everyone.But as you stated the pain is "really fucking painfull". So it sounds like the risk of taking the medication is less than the benefit you get from the pain relief.

If your product contains acetaminophen (paracetamol) Then this can have a negative impact on your liver. Even though you are well within the Daily recommended max dosage (max 4g) of paracetamol if you are taking the 8/500mg tablets. It's still not good to take paracetamol every day.

The fact is that if you use codeine every day for pain relief. it will become less and less effective and you will need to take more to get pain relief. This is the biggest risk. Especially if there's paracetamol in what you'r taking.

Have you ever been to a pain clinic? Perhaps they can offer you a better medication for pain relief.