• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

The Dark Side of AA and other 12 step

Mafioso

Bluelight Crew
So I don't agree with all the points made in this video and I also see a high value in group therapy, but I would like to share in the name of awareness and harm reduction. AA and other 12 step programs have helped a lot of people but there are some inherent risks to having unsupervised self-help groups, sometimes attendance required by law.

The video has a lot of negative AA sentiments, which I'd like to look past and focus on the abuse and protection aspect. Although some of the critiques are valid, similar ones could be made about nearly all recovery programs. However, one risk that seems unique to self-governed 12 step groups is the sexual predation that I've heard reported from multiple unrelated sources now. As a 29 year old male, most of these risks never really occurred to me before. Although I don't actively attend 12 step myself, I have casually referred other people to them and hear doctors and other professionals referring people all the time.

I do not believe this makes AA/12 step evil, bad, etc. It is something that needs to be talked about and addressed though.

I'd prefer to keep the conversation focused on manipulation, predation and abuse within AA/NA/12 step groups rather than just a critique of them in general.

these were really interesting.thanks.

i can see all their points but i think its unfair, or certainly in relation to the UK based NA groups I have attended. the culture of forcing people to go and dangers they entail is certainly shocking.

the point about them not being professionals sounds compelling, but the precise reason a lot of people go to A/NA is because professionals failed. without bringing up that nuance i think the argument is dishonest. they aren't there to replace traditional treatment offerings, but to complement them.

Yeah it wasn't meant as a criticism of 12 step groups, just wanted to bring awareness to a subject that I've heard a few people talk about now. Usually younger women in their teens or early 20s. The videos have a very negative sentiment towards AA/NA but the other stories were in hour long podcast that I can't find and from people I've met.