Bluelight

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

The effects of THC versus CBD in pain relief*

More clinical trials have linked CBD to positive results for pain relief than THC.

A 2017 report concluded that there was substantial evidence that hih-CBD cannabis-based products are effective for treating chronic pain. Another, separate study published in 2012 in the Journal of Experimental Medicine, suggests that CBD use can lessen both pain and inflammation. Arthritis, which literally means inflammation of the joints, is another condition that CBD oil may be very effective for. Research published in 2016 in the European Journal of Pain found a dramatic reduction in inflammation and signs of pain, without adverse side effects in rats with arthritis after the animals were given a topical gel that contained CBD for four days.

Interactions between THC and CBD

You don’t have to make a choice between THC and CBD. In fact, it could be wise to combine the two. Researchers have found that cannabis is a synergistic shotgun in the sense that all the compounds in the cannabis plant interact with each other. Although the exact mechanisms for these interactions remain unclear, the most effective cannabis-based pain treatments have been found to contain a combination of both THC and CBD. So, if your laws and regulations allow, go for a cannabis-based product which contains both compounds in good amounts. Just realize that THC can produce altered mental states, which can be dangerous while doing things that require proper hand-eye coordination like driving.

Choosing a strain

There are a large range of high-THC and high-CBD varieties of cannabis that have different medical effects. The sativa strain (cannabis sativa) generally has a higher amount of CBD, whereas the indica strain (cannabis indica) contains more THC. Anecdotal evidence suggests that sativa is more energizing whereas indica is more of a relaxant. This may explain some differences that are not specific to the THC or CBD content and why many people prefer indica for pain relief. If you want therapeutic amounts of CBD, always go for a high-CBD strain.

Conclusion

For pain relief, doctors prefer the CBD varieties of cannabis extract over THC, primarily due to their lack of side effects. Supplements combining CBD and THC, such as Sativix, have shown the best results in adults in clinical trials.

*From the article here: http://nationalpainreport.com/thc-vs...i-8837164.html
    Last edited by mr peabody; 17-10-2018 at 04:18.

2. Collapse Details

Ketamine Infusion Therapy for Fibromyalgia and Rhumatoid Arthritis

Treatment with intravenous ketamine eased pain significantly in a patient with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and fibromyalgia, a case report shows.

The report, “Intravenous Ketamine Alleviates Pain in a Rheumatoid Arthritis Patient With Comorbid Fibromyalgia,” was published in the journal The Journal of Medical Cases.

Patients with RA are at increased risk to develop fibromyalgia. Both disorders disproportionally affect women. RA may be treated with diverse types of medications that target pro-inflammatory cytokines — molecules released by immune cells — including analgesics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories (NSAIDs), glucocorticoids, and disease-modifying therapies.

However, lack of response in some patients and medication-related problems warrant evaluation of alternative treatments.

Intravenous (IV) ketamine has been an FDA-approved medication for nearly 50 years. Ketamine blocks the NMDA (N-methyl-D-aspartate) receptor, which is key in neuronal communication and is involved in regulating pain signals in the brain and spinal cord. Excessive activation of this receptor may cause toxicity, leading to various pain disorders.

By blocking NMDA receptors, ketamine may correct this over-activation. However, ketamine’s therapeutic effects go well beyond its levels in the body, which leads scientists to speculate that it induces secondary changes that result in durable benefits.

A combination of analgesic, immunomodulatory and anti-inflammatory effects have been proposed for ketamine, which makes it promising for treating RA, according to the authors.

This report describes the case of a 49-year old woman with RA whose arthritis did not respond to conventional treatment options and resulted in permanent, extreme pain. She reported joint pain with stiffness in the morning in hands and shoulders, which limited finger and wrist movement and reduced her quality of life significantly.

The patient also had diffuse muscular pain and met diagnostic criteria for fibromyalgia.

"Several treatment options, including physical therapy and conventional medications, did not achieve adequate pain control for either condition, so I decided to use [IV] ketamine as an alternative therapeutic option,” Ashraf Hanna, MD, the study’s lead author, said in a press release.

The patient started a 10-day IV ketamine infusion treatment for four hours per day. The initial dose was 428 mg, gradually increased to 1,063 mg.

She reported decreased pain after the first infusion session, and being almost pain-free after the last session. She also was no longer experiencing RA symptoms, including joint pain and morning stiffness.

Although he noted this is the first published report on the use of ketamine in RA, Hanna considered that “ketamine appears to possess unique immunomodulatory and analgesic properties that effectively reduce inflammation and reduce pain without the use of opioid/NSAID analgesics.”

The authors cautioned that the findings are from only one patient and did not compare ketamine with placebo. However, “we are hopeful that future adequately powered and placebo-controlled clinical trials may confirm that ketamine is safe and effective for the treatment of autoimmune diseases such as RA,” they wrote.

Unlike in the past, ketamine’s effectiveness is now recognized by diverse insurance companies. “We hope to continue to add new Ketamine-compliant insurance companies in 2018,” Hanna said.

“I have provided over 8,000 ketamine infusions and have seen so many incredible successes over the past 5 years. Some of my patients were unable to move a limb or walk, and now they have complete mobility and can walk unaided.” Hanna said.

https://fibromyalgianewstoday.com/20...ra-study-says/

3. Collapse Details

CBD suppository for menstrual pain

A company that makes marijuana products for women — including suppositories designed to target menstrual cramps — is about to see how well they work in treating the symptoms associated with periods. A new study conducted by Staci Gruber, a Harvard professor, will look at responses from 400 women about menstrual symptoms while using the suppository.

While various compounds in cannabis have long been thought to alleviate symptoms associated with pain and stress from menstruation, there hasn't been a lot of research to back it up.
    A startup in Venice Beach, California, is seeking to change that. It has released a line of products — including lotions, sprays, vaporizer pens, and marijuana suppositories. While the new product has been nicknamed a "weed tampon," it's not exactly that. Rather, it is a suppository pill that when inserted into the body, quickly gets absorbed. The suppositories are forming the basis of an observational study of 400 women to see how marijuana-based products affect the symptoms associated with periods.

So far, they've raised $2 million in venture capital funding. The company's THC-containing products are available in Colorado and California, where cannabis is legal for adult use, and will be available in Canada once legalization goes into effect later this month.

The new CBD products, like its new vaporizer pen, are available online and can be shipped worldwide. CBD is a nonpsychoactive compound in cannabis that has been linked to a range of health benefits but cannot get you high.

Though the legality of CBD is something of a gray area, products containing it are widely available in most states, as long as they don't contain THC, the psychoactive component of marijuana responsible for a high. the company says the products are effective because of what's known as the "entourage effect" of the active compounds in marijuana.

"We now know the minute you break this plant apart into its component parts, you lose some of the magic," a spokesperson said. "This is proven out again and again, in study after study, that the entourage effect as we understand it is real."

Putting it to the test

Staci Gruber, a professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and the director of the Cognitive and Clinical Neuroimaging Core and the Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery program at the McLean Hospital in Massachusetts, is using the marijuana suppository as part of the observational study.

The study will be funded in part by Flow Kana, a marijuana grower and distributor that will provide the products to participants.

"What we're looking to do is take anecdotal information and turn it into data," Gruber told Business Insider.

The observational study will survey participating women over a few months, asking them to record what their symptoms are like while using the suppository.

The study is viewed as a first step, with the "holy grail" being a clinical trial that determines how such products compare with a placebo group in relieving menstrual symptoms.

Running a clinical trial, however, can be an expensive and difficult endeavor, especially because marijuana is considered a Schedule 1 drug.

First, researchers must go through a lengthy application process, which can take years, to obtain a permit to conduct a study. And all cannabis used for research must be purchased through the National Institute on Drug Abuse. Many researchers have said the institute's supply is of poor quality, with low concentrations of THC.

"What actually made this market was empathy," the spokesperson said. "We serve the plant, we serve our clients. And as a result, our investment community, and the people that support our brand, benefit from that."

https://www.businessinsider.com/foria-studying-marijuana-effects-womens-health-menstrual-cramps-2018-10

Last edited by mr peabody; Yesterday at 10:20.

4. Collapse Details

Iboga saved me from chronic pain

Most people are not aware that Iboga is profoundly effective for treating severe pain caused by nerve damage. The majority of people I've talked to have only heard of it for treating addiction. The reason I am writing this is because I suffered from debilitating pain that made me feel like my life was over. I lost hope. Before my Iboga experience this summer, I had absolutely no idea it would do anything for my damaged nerve. Little did I know. For three whole months after taking a good dose of Iboga, the noribogaine was still flowing in my body, and I was able to do things that I had not been able to do in a long time.

I had got it into my head that my nerve was damaged, and there was nothing I could do. It is hard not to when everything you try doesn't help or only makes it worse. After 3 months, I began to notice my symptoms were coming back because the noribogaine metabolite was finally being flushed from my body. I made a conscious decision to break away from the beliefs I had about myself and my situation.

So for the past month or so I have been taking ~1g of potent Iboga bark per week. It allows me to function on a level I never thought possible. I feel more like myself now than ever before. I can live and be happy and not even think about my nerve. I am doing more than I ever could before with this disability, and I feel like it's exponential, the more I do, the more I can do. It's an exercise. A constant process.

Iboga allowed me to take a step back into my self unadulterated by the constructs of my mind and start working every day to be the better person that I have always wanted to be. It feels odd saying this, but I feel Iboga saved my life. My work with it keeps evolving, too.

I recently gave up an 11 year cannabis addiction, as well as coffee and nicotine overnight with 1g of potent bark, good food, lots of water, and meditation. I did this because I always told myself I never could, or I never wanted to, but I just got fed up. I've been perfectly happy, and sober (except for Iboga effects, which are mild), for the first time in my life. I honestly never ever thought this was possible and I am loving it. I am sure I will use cannabis again, but it feels good to take a break and not be dependent.

So, in conclusion, if you are in a country where Iboga is legal, and you suffer from chronic pain that nothing else seems to help, you may want to consider this medicine.

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/defau...=posts&t=27827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12