Benzodiazepine use And Increaseing Growth Hormone. What are the Long-Term Effects.

Thomas29

Bluelighter
I messed up the Post Title And should of typed " Decreasing/Increasing Growth Hormone "

I use Benzodiazepines Daily And I use 1MG Clonazepam Daily And I use Higher Doses of other Benzos occasionally. I Read continuous Daily use of Benzos can actually blunt Growth Hormone Release And I was wondering if anyone Here could Please find Me any more information on this subject.

Would using A Higher Dose once A Week Or less increase My Growth Hormone Or Am I screwed Here with actually having lowering of My Growth Hormone from Daily Benzodiazepine Use?

Any Helpful Replies would be greatly appreciated Thank You for your time to Read My Post.

Last edited:
Would be way more worried about addiction, nothing in my life could ever make me take benzos regularly again. Withdraw was one of the most brutal experiences of my life. Growth hormone levels would be the last thing to worry about IMO

Well your OPINION was not the QUESTION And frankly saying the obvious is not helpful. It does Not Qualify as advice either.

I hate being forced to give more details that I don't got time for Or know exactly how to explain it well Or just Simply don't feel Like is franklythere are A bunch of reasons why I Am asking this question let's just leave it at that Please. if anyone has any answers it would be Helpful.

Last edited:
Why exactly are you wanting to know if they lower HGH levels? Endogenous hormones can fluctuate a decent deal percentage wise and typically have no noticeable impact within normal ranges.

That said, they aren?t good drugs for bodybuilding regardless and generally negatively impact strength and the ability to contract muscle. However I did a 5 second google search and the first few studies that popped up indicated that an increase in growth hormone was possible

Results of my own quick Google:

Long-term benzodiazepine administration blunts growth hormone response to diazepam.
Growth hormone and prolactin responses to diazepam were measured in eight male patients who had been receiving long-term treatment with benzodiazepines and eight age-matched drug-free controls. The growth hormone response was significantly attenuated during benzodiazepine administration, but increased significantly after benzodiazepine treatment was discontinued. Growth hormone responses four days after the drug therapy withdrawal in patients, however, were still significantly less than in drug-free controls. Prolactin levels were unaltered after diazepam challenge, both in patients and in controls. The results clearly demonstrate tolerance to the growth hormone-releasing effect of diazepam, but do not suggest receptor supersensitivity after withdrawal of benzodiazepine therapy. It is possible that pituitary mammotropes lack benzodiazepine receptors.

So, indication seems to be that yes, long term benzodiazepine use does blunt growth hormone release, but the effects are not permanent and quickly recover to pre-benzo levels following a period of abstinence. The paper is not publicly viewable as far as I could tell so it's not clear how long it takes for this recovery to happen, but obviously it's more than 4 days so perhaps at least a week.

FWIW that paper was the second result of a Google search for "benzos growth hormone"... You're welcome. ;)

THANK YOU VASTNESS very Helpful And Swim15. I NEVER said ANYTHING about using these Drugs for bodybuilding. Growth Hormone Levels Like TESTOSTERONE LEVELS are best KEPT IN A HEALTHY as POSSIBLE Amount since these BOTH DECLINE with Age.

I SHOULD not have to reply with every detail there is a bunch of reasons such as the NDMA Atagonist Effect that Methadone Maintenance Use causes Like ALL Opioids MUCH worse Cognitive Function Decline etc.

THAT IS A SLIVER OF A REASON I Am asking A SIMPLE QUESTION that finally Vastness got Me Simply answer with A plain And SIMPLE REPLY!

If this post comes off vulgar it is probably cause I Am highly Agitated for Good reason that has nothing to do with anyone in this Thread for the Record, Okay lol.

Results of my own quick Google:

Long-term benzodiazepine administration blunts growth hormone response to diazepam.

So, indication seems to be that yes, long term benzodiazepine use does blunt growth hormone release, but the effects are not permanent and quickly recover to pre-benzo levels following a period of abstinence. The paper is not publicly viewable as far as I could tell so it's not clear how long it takes for this recovery to happen, but obviously it's more than 4 days so perhaps at least a week.

FWIW that paper was the second result of a Google search for "benzos growth hormone"... You're welcome. ;)

From the full paper:

The GH response to diazepam in patients taking benzodiazepines and drug-free volunteers. All but one patient failed to secrete GH in response to diazepam; the opposite was true in the case of the matched controls, all but one of whom showed a sharp increment. This difference was highly significant (P<.001).
The GH response to diazepam increased significantly (P<.014) in patients both four and 21 days after withdrawal of drug therapy, but the response did not alter significantly during the withdrawal
period (P = .238). The increment in GH level four days after withdrawal in patients, however, was still significantly less than that in volunteers (P<.041).

Now I Am way more confused than to begin with. I ASSUME this means that the GH Increase caused By Long-Term Benzodiazepine use does not stop until A VERY LONG TIME after last using any?