• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Humans , if it weren't for prison , would you do it?

Killing someone else is too much effort and it doesn't really relieve the problem that's inside of you.

I took a self-defense series 6 years ago. The main reasons that people are on the receiving end of violence is because someone wants what they have or someone wants to correct their behaviour. If you have something that someone wants, you can diffuse the situation by just giving it to them (i.e. money). If they are trying to correct your behaviour, then you can try apologizing or verbally bargaining, but if the person is really annoyed with you then they might still want to correct your behaviour.

A small subset are psycho and they will come for you no matter what you do, and the only thing you can do is run or fight. These are the people that self-defense classes are made for.

What I took away from this course is that people who value possessions over their own lives, mistreat others or act like rude jackasses are usually the ones who end up getting their asses kicked.

So if you go around killing people because you're angry all the time, then somebody else is going to eventually correct your childish behaviour. Most humans hate pointless violence which is why human history so full of vengeful, cyclical behaviour, especially between wronged families. If you killed your ex in a lawless society, his family and friends would surely come for you because there'd be no justice system to punish you.

Then your family would come for his family, and suddenly you have 300 years of feuding because some idiot got mad at their ex and killed him.

Our justice system is imperfect but I prefer it to the alternative.

To answer the question of OP - no, I would certainly not stab someone to death.

Other things have crossed my mind from time to time, like robbing a bank.

I wouldn't kill somebody even if jail was not an issue. If I were desperate I might steal something though.

If there were no consequences from one's actions, I do think one would eventually engage in behaviour that would previously have been abhorrent. With no control, no fear of punishment, things could get ugly very quickly. Maybe I've just got a very dim view of human nature (actually, I definitely have), but I think we've all got someone that we would like to fuck up one way or another - not necessarily violently, but I think that would come eventually.

That is exactly why we have a justice system.

I don't believe we actually have a justice system, we have a punishment system.

It has little to do with right and wrong but a lot to do with arguing. It costs us ridiculous amounts of human time and energy and I don't believe it stops anyone from committing any crime to a greater degree then it causes people to commit far worse crimes.

Justice is my neighbours dogs name and beyond that the word means nothing in our society. There is only punishment and threats of punishment that cause people to kill the witnesses and victims to escape the punishment system.

There are certainly some things I'd do if I knew I could get a way with it and that includes murder. I can think of thousands of people I'd murder if I could get away with it and I don't feel at all bad about that because it fits right in with my life philosophy and my feelings about right and wrong. For instance I'd murder someone I knew was raping and torturing children. Or stealing huge sums of money from other people in scams. Or that promote war against innocent people in other countries etc. I'd have no problem and I'd likely sleep better than I do now.

As to stabbing someone because they were driving me crazy with words, I would not. I'd feel guilty as hell for that knowing that it was in my power just to walk away from them and the situation. YMMV.

It should be something else stopping us from committing violent or immoral acts of course. I would like to think as human culture evolves, we will, collectively, gain a greater and greater understanding of the problems associated with violence, and a greater ability to curb our base emotional impulses and tendencies towards violence, and those innate human tendencies which sometimes lead us to think that fucking over our fellow human being is a good idea. We can already see that this is happening, to some extent - on the whole, the rise of civilisation and large, cohesive, ordered communities has reduced and continues to reduce the incidence of violence in all forms in human societies. The modern world is a multi-textured, hugely varied place
Knowing that crime, save south america, is incidently very low in harming the economy, meaning that stealing and prostitution are not key factors in the graphs of economical fluctuation, So this crime you speak of? Its actually YOU who is the criminal. You let a person go to prison for YEARS after stealing a Camera. If someone steals you laptop, will you put him in a room for years and ruin his life? There is this tendency of the Radiant Plague to turn the human into a plastic-surgery fuelled worker drone. Such is Red China after implementing the big survellance camera enslavement. Do you remember Alan Watts, Alan Watts point out (a visionary saying) Red China as one of the biggest enemies of consciousness. He was right! China is not known for Big Crime, its known for enslavement Surveillance basically the prison is moved outside, and the prisoners are now everybody. Such is the punishment for a race that makes somebody, who, after a crisis of emotion steals another man's belonging, to die in prison. If value more one man's belonging and the fear control them to be kind, instead of being kind by a higher motive such as love or own choice, then all kindness will be fear, unreal, and all relations within humanity will be relations of machine!

^^ Interesting thoughts. What about the the actual crimes, though? Violent crimes like rape and murder? Should people be jailed for that, and is prison a deterrant? Is there something else present which prevents most people from committing those acts? I agree that nonviolent crimes tend to be punished too severely. Let me ask you this: should theft against an individual be punished at all, even if the punishment isn't prison? If there was no punishment, would people do it a lot more, or would there be some innate drive to prevent most people from doing it even if there was no threat of punishment?

Interesting clip on societal rules, questions of justice, ethical culpability and penalties on crime ('crime', as it defined by the present judicial systems) etc.

It has little to do with right and wrong but a lot to do with arguing. It costs us ridiculous amounts of human time and energy and I don't believe it stops anyone from committing any crime to a greater degree then it causes people to commit far worse crimes.

Justice is my neighbours dogs name and beyond that the word means nothing in our society. There is only punishment and threats of punishment that cause people to kill the witnesses and victims to escape the punishment system.

Totally agree.

The concept of justice is redundant without meaning and value ( I think the cost, i.e. 'tax-payers' are keeping them-selves safe' manifesto, is a rigged business venture that is thrown in to keep people distracted from the profit-making genesis of the whole dysfunction) - otherwise, it is a trite, carrot-stick social system. Value is what is inherently meaningful - so, this is only acquired through learning and experience. To negate the value of humans is to omit our value and our values (individual and collective)- these are grown, noursihed through cultural experience and nourishing, interaction; that involves learning and progress ( in the 'actualised' sense not, the buisness sense/cancer sense). When society does not reflect the persons living in it, deflects to other interests - this has an impact on our sense of self and our own inherent value/individual value system - we submit to the dominant order( often commercial/political and our value/s become maleable to it - so it can control our value system; we let it as we have submitted to the dominant; that which appealed to our instinctual drive- not our fault but we do have autonomy).

So, without value/values - what does a justice system mean, other than behavioural conformity; without value, how is an individual meant to live a meaningful life and not be subject to acting out/conforming to, a system that requires us to be nought but 'a pinball' avoiding obstacles that deter us, or conforming to reach a goal? - this is the most hellish existence to live in - I think most have faced this but to overcome archaic, social systems that thwart the human spirit requires thinking and feeling outside those systems - to live.

The problem is, in a power system we are subject to the threat of punishment and even nihilation, in order to hold on to some semblence of livin with the values we need because we are up against a system that is bullying us into believing that we have no inherent value without being sold it. The solution is to find subsystems that support our values in changing this and also, the courage to think outside these systems, to act outside these systems and thwart them; without joining in to the power structure but changing it, to support human value and living. I think concsientious objection is something that we need to engage with more - we live in a society that requires our extroverted expression to calibrate and control the population; just avoiding being detected would put the system in a state of inertia - it plays on peoples need to be noticed and it has played most humans ( especially younger so easily into a system that is about profit and destroying the human spirit - that which is free to choose and express itself, as itself). I guess this always happened but we have never lived in an era where surveylance and information gathering has so determined our value system and it is obvious - people act like drones- our culture has been completely hijacked by these systems and it has an effect on all; albeit not always negative but given the state of our planet - its not working as well as it needs to be.

So, to change what is rotton and to keep what has repaired the damage; needs action and expression, respectively. Easier said than done but nothing worthwhile is ever easy but oh, the outcomes. :)

Last edited:
A fight with my x is still fresh on my mind. He's alot bigger then me . I swear to god , if it weren't for prison I would of done it. I would of stabbed him. (Not to death) Looking back at our relationship though, I feel like that's the only reason he's alive right now. Or without major scars.
Anyway. When you have been pushed to the edge. (Not quite OFF the edge if you can still THINK of consequences.)
Shouldn't it be something else stopping us from being violent . ? Not just jail ? What's wrong with us? Too many movies? Are we desensitized ? Am I a bad person?
Everytime I'm in a bank I am planning a robbery. Just standing in line. If I could get away with it I'd do it.
Would you?
Jail is here for a reason. Some laws attempt to protect people from people. I understand .
I'm not sure where to go with this ...
Would YOU do something terrible like beat the crap out of your ex in a rage? Would you take the money and run ?
Would you do any of the millions of things we aren't supposed to do , if you didn't have the threat of prison ?
(Or hell, lol)
What has to happen for us as a species to correct our behavior without the prison systems ? I suppose it starts with the individual.

Of course I would do something "terrible" because I've done my share even with the threat of prison. I don't beat on people for things they say however. Only for things they actually do. I have taken the money and run several times however and man am I glad I did. lol

FACTSSS!����:eek:
And I'm a Law Student lolll

Last edited:
Love is the most Supreme Justice. Unconditional. In another word or phrase rather universal compassion.

No man gets off scot-free in a Justice based Universe.