Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Gbl v gbh

Piscesgirl81

Bluelighter
Hi there, i've aquired some GBL (frank 99.9%) and have being told conflicting info. Some say it needs to be converted to gbh before consumption, some say the body will convert it and some say its ok to go for it but be careful with dosing. Im taking it with some experienced juice ppl but would be keen to hear others thoughts. Thanks!

GBL gets hydrolized into GHB quite fast and also quantitatively, that means you don't need to take a higher dosage. In fact, because GBL is a smaller and lighter molecule than GHB you have to take a smaller dosage.

1 mL GBL (which is a good dosage for the first time) equals to ~ 1,67 g Na-GHB, that's sodium gamma-hydroxybutyrate, the sodium salt, that is the most common form of GHB. To obtain this, you have to boil some GBL with an equimolar amount of NaOH + some water. I guess it's against the rules to describe that process further, please google for further information.

I would advise against the use of GBL, since it's corrosive to your intestines.

Agreed, well said ^

While far from healthy, are you able too get some 1,4b instead?

GHB is almost non existant and I refuse too ingest GBL. 1,4b is the best of 3 evils..

R.D

GBL gets hydrolized into GHB quite fast and also quantitatively, that means you don't need to take a higher dosage. In fact, because GBL is a smaller and lighter molecule than GHB you have to take a smaller dosage.

1 mL GBL (which is a good dosage for the first time) equals to ~ 1,67 g Na-GHB, that's sodium gamma-hydroxybutyrate, the sodium salt, that is the most common form of GHB. To obtain this, you have to boil some GBL with an equimolar amount of NaOH + some water. I guess it's against the rules to describe that process further, please google for further information.

I would advise against the use of GBL, since it's corrosive to your intestines.

Thanks for the info Neopunk :)

Would one subjectively feel the effects of GHB faster than GBL?

I only ever take GHB these days, its all I can get in fact and haven't really encountered anything openly distributed as GBL (but I am out of the loop). I've only ever really seen and had the misfortune of taking 1,4bd- which I enjoyed but made my girlfriend spend the night clutching the toilet bowl, vomiting profusely. I thought it was great, I redosed the next morning and was utterly hammered but had an almighty, violent projectile vomit that came on in literally seconds. Subjectively, it certainly felt pretty physically vile. I have no idea about the pharmacology of 1,4b except to understand that it is eventually metabolised into GHB or something like that. Can you enlighten me?

Anyway, I love GHB- one of my favorite drugs, and one that I use several times a week; usually just 1-2 grams with some amphetamine. Keeping doses relatively small, not redosing and I've never had any trouble with addiction to it, and I've been taking it on and off for years. And I've had addicitons to other downers. I dunno, GHB is like a magic potion for me and has such a clean, transparent feeling- it feels more like a nootropic or supplement than a drug (I am deluding myself, I know ;))

No problem :)

My experience with GHB is very limited, so that's only what I read and heard: GBL gets absorbed more rapidly than GHB due to it's more lipophilic nature. Na-GHB gets protonated in the stomach, so in this state it's able to cross the lipid barriers of the membranes. Due to chemical equilibrium there's a part of the GHB that stays ionic and can't get absorbed because it's too polar. This means a part of the GHB still sits around in the stomach, unable gettin' absorbed, what prolongues the onset and the overall duration.

This reaction shows the hydrolysis of GBL to GHB, one can see that GBL is a direct precursor/prodrug:

image001.gif

If you compare GHB to 1,4-Butanediol it get's clear that there's more work to do to get to the desired GHB:

180px-1%2C4-Butandiol.svg.png

One of the carbon next to the alcohol groups (-OH) needs to be oxidized all the way up to an acid. But first comes the aldehyde, which is propably not really enjoyable. All aliphatic alcohols get metabolized the same way: Alcohol (-OH) -> Aldehyde (-CHO) -> Carboxylic acid (-COOH), because the latter is the most water soluble and can thus get rid of in urine.
When our example is ethanol, the first metabolite is ethanal/acetaldehyde, which is quite nasty and causes the notorious hangover that's associated with ethanol consumption.
So it's at least not unlikely for the aldehyde intermediate in the GHB biosynthesis to behave similar.
But you see, there's two alcohol groups, that means both of them can be oxidized to an aldehyde, and again, it wouldn't surprise me if this possible metabolite is toxic, too.
Long story short: While GHB is definetly a metabolite of 1,4-Butanediol, there are several other metabolites (not mentioned all possible ones), that can and will be produced, hence the higher toxicity and "dirtier" high in comparison to pure GHB

Last edited:
^Again, nice explanation mate :) I also recall 1,4b having an utterly vile taste, whereas GHB isn't too bad at all.