• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Widthdrawl from naloxone

NeoLid

Bluelighter
This might be a really stupid questions but I cant stop thinking about it. Lets say a opiate naive individual kept taking naloxone for a long period, enough to get "addicted" to it. Would stopping it cause a widthdrawl that would feel like a opiate high? My theory is that prolonged exposure to naloxone would cause upregulation of opioid receptors causing them to be super sensitive to endogenous endorphins thus resulting in a high when sober.

No you cannot become dependent on an antagonist at this receptor.

This will not happen. Someone else will give a more in depth explanation as to why.

I always enjoyed coming off of methamphetamine, or benzodiazepines. It is a pleasant sensation to me. I chalk this up to unique brain chemistry/physiology.

Off benzos? you are a fucking freak, in that case!

Is naloxone a competitive antagonist or an inverse agonist? I've heard both opinions stated before.

I can only say that their is an anapocryphal story about Lenny Bruce being shot with naloxone to prove he wasn't opioid dependant and he got high off the stuff. When n=1 it's not significant.

Ignoring the fact that such a phenomenon would certainly be explained away as placebo...As you mentioned, that story is almost definitely not true as Naloxone wasn't FDA approved until 1971,

Opioid antagonists/inverse agonists CAN sensitize opioid receptors even to the point where it could be dangerous to ingest agonists, but in most cases even said effect would be hard to detect, let alone feeling anything while sober.

No you cannot become dependent on an antagonist at this receptor.

This will not happen. Someone else will give a more in depth explanation as to why.

I always enjoyed coming off of methamphetamine, or benzodiazepines. It is a pleasant sensation to me. I chalk this up to unique brain chemistry/physiology.

I hear that. Never tried meth, but did once try racemic amp. More relaxation (meth) and more life-force (benzos) after acute withdrawal. Doesn't last, though.