• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How does oxcarbazepine (bipolar) work?

ColoradoBoy90

Bluelighter
I cannot seem to find much info on Google. It says it?s an anti-seizure med, and can be used off-label for bi-polar.
But almost none of them explain how or why.

I am curious as a good friend is taking it, and their doctor said it works on GABA similar to Xanax but is weaker? Which I cannot find any information to back that claim up. It does not seem like oxcarbazepine even affects GABA.
I see one study mention it does increase dopamine, or works on it in some manner. Which would explain the mood boosting effect (although I thought it was suppose to stablize so still confused)

So how does it actually work to stabilize someones mood? There has to be some theory or reasoning on it affects _____ chemicals and thus _____
But I cannot seem to really find anything that states how or why. I also see it is mainly an anti seizure med. Which most websites also does not explain how it works even as an anti-seizure med, but through research I see that it likely works on sodium channels and glutamate to prevent seizures. So I could find that little out about it but not much else.

Like the more common bipolar meds that work as antipsychotics work in many ways, such as blocking certain dopamine receptors. So at least it?s more well known how it works.

But I cannot really find out why or how oxcarbazepine works for bipolar and the mood stabilizing effects it has. I am curious to know as what the doctor said seems completely wrong, so figured why not ask on BL, someone here might know... Also curious what separates this from being classified as an anti-psychotic med vs actual anti-psychotic meds?
Also if you are taking it for bipolar and suddenly stop taking it, there is not much risk of having seizures during withdrawals is there? I assume someone needs to already have a seizure disorder for that to happen. As this medication is not like stopping say Clonzepam which affects GABA, and therefore can cause seizures during withdrawal to people who are not even taking it for seizures.

Last edited:
Definitely doesn't work directly on GABA sites in the way the benzodiazepines (xanax, valium, etc) would. This medicine is less selective in the way that it calms neural activity. It isn't a first line treatment as a mood stabilizer usually. As far as being different from antipsychotics; the lack of dopamine or serotonin antagonist (or low d2 partial agonist; as in abilify) properties. Regarding the dangers of sudden discontinuation of the drug I don't have any direct information but I would assume there would be some consequences; not necessarily seizures but probably some not-too-pleasant over stimulation and such.