• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

How long until Codeine becomes a worry?

wheaters

Bluelighter
Currently taking 150mg codeine (in one dose) daily. I have been doing this for around 1 week.This is for acute neck pain from a work based injury.

Im just wandering how long until this becomes a problem, i have had a few days here and there without and experienced no ill effects.

Thanks in advance all!

If you've never been addicted to opiates, it takes some time to build up a physical dependence. Doctors often tend to say not to take things for longer than 3 or 4 days, but it takea longer than that if you've never had a habit before. It's a whole other story for ex-addicts of opiates/opioids though.

The first thing that typically happens with opiates is that you become psychologically addicted. This leads to people lying to themselves or making excuses about why they need another pill. It's obviously not as serious as physical dependence, but it's inportant to be mindful of nonetheless.

What form are you taking the codeine in? Most OTC preparations in western countries also contain paracetamol/APAP or ibuprofen - amd these are dangerous to take above recommended doses.
If you are using OTC codeine pills, you need to do a cold water extraction on them, if you are not already.

It is prescribed 30mg codeine phosphate pills :) no CWE req, however im still worried if codeine for 2 weeks max at 150mg per day will cause damage.

That dose seems to help the pain and make me able to go to work, and takes 2-3 weeks to heal sonis this sustainable for a short time?

Well versed in drugs and realise the danger of addiction. But that is the least of my worries as i have never had problems in the past.

Thanks

Codeine won't cause any damage, and you shouldnt be able to develop a habit in that amount of time.

I hope you feel better soon :)

I wouldn't say psychological dependence isn't as a serious as physical dependence. The mental pull from opiates can cause serious changes in someone and if strong enough will eventually lead to a bad physical dependence.

The more days you take off the better chance you're going to have in keeping tolerance down. I know it's hard to do when you have pain but it's going to be something you need to carefully balance if you want to keep tolerance down. Maybe try managing with OTC pain meds on the days the pain is less severe, if there are many.

Thankyou! :) duly noted! I just dont want to end up doing huge damage to my liver or something!

I wouldn't say psychological dependence isn't as a serious as physical dependence. The mental pull from opiates can cause serious changes in someone and if strong enough will eventually lead to a bad physical dependence.

yeah, you're not wrong - i guess what i meant is that you can break a psychological addiction without having to take a week off work, or whatever. not intending to downplay its seriousness.

psychological addiction is what leads to full-blown habituation - so it's something to be very, very mindful of. once physical dependence occurs, you have to deal with the physical and the psychological addiction - which is partly why it is such a nightmare.

Essentially though, 3 weeks of rather heavy use wont warrant any ill effects?

Not really heavy for some but i take 5x 30mg codeine phosphate at once in the morning just to get through work until i get my op scheduled in 8 days :)

Fyi the docs advise to spread the codeine out however it doesnt seem too nulify the pain too much :(

I used to have about 200mg a night for recreational purposes. This went on for about a year until the novelty wore off and money became an issue so I cut down to weekends only and I only had minor wd symptoms. If you're not prone to addiction and you only take them when in pain then you should be ok. If you find yourself taking them 'just in case it begins to hurt' then you're in trouble.