• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol Alcohol + Nicotine

Well it's not just EtOH as nicotine goes great with Amphs, and coke too. The basic science is that EtOH increases Dopamine. Nicotine has some type of synergism with stress hormones that increases the desire for EtOH, but on the flipside it also increases Glucorticoids, which lowers dopamine, and increases the desire for another drink to replenish the dopamine. Strange relationship they have but it's undeniable that there's a link to smoking and drinking. A study was done that found smokers were ten times more likely to become alcoholics. Another study was done that linked heavy smokers to increased hangovers. iirc it was Baylor University that was responsible for these findings.

Not entirely sure this is HR, but kinda interesting none the less.

Man i find that smoking goes well with just about anything. Coffee, tea, after a nice meal, after (or during sex) just watch out with that last one. Since iv been on venlafaxine if started to smoke 20 a day. It's like i just smoke on autopilot now.

U guys think there could be a link between venlafaxine, diazepam and smoking desire increased?

Oh and yeah i used to smoke alot when i had a drink problem. I must admit the feel of a ciggy in one hand and a double vodka and coke in the other was beautiful. But what wasn't nice was the liver damage. Also the fact that when i went cold turkey it gave me the DT's and i went a bit nuts for a while.8(

Alcohol & cigarettes as well as coffee & cigarettes go together like peas in carrots, but I prefer smoking cigs on opiates. :)

There could also be some psychology involved here..

Think about it. When you're all geeked out, the last thing you're thinking about is an oral fixation caused by the connection to your mom or a plastic nipple.

On the other hand, when you're in a quiet mood (like you were when breast feeding), you desire something similar. Something soothing.

No?

Why does alcohol go SO well with nicotine?

Ones attempt to 'balance' the other, in the same system

...evidence has shown a positive correlation between cigarette smoking and ethanol use, and previous studies suggest some commonality in the neural pathways mediating effects of nicotine and ethanol. Ethanol potentiates some of the subjective rewarding effects of nicotine, including smoking satisfaction, stimulant as well as calming effects, and relief of craving for cigarettes -mecamylamine decreases satisfaction associated with the nicotine-containing cigarettes. Ethanol can potentiate the rewarding effects of nicotine as well as offset some of the effects of a nicotinic antagonist.

...Basically, stimulation of the sympathetic pathways.

Last edited:
Well it's not just EtOH as nicotine goes great with Amphs, and coke too. The basic science is that EtOH increases Dopamine. Nicotine has some type of synergism with stress hormones that increases the desire for EtOH, but on the flipside it also increases Glucorticoids, which lowers dopamine, and increases the desire for another drink to replenish the dopamine. Strange relationship they have but it's undeniable that there's a link to smoking and drinking. A study was done that found smokers were ten times more likely to become alcoholics. Another study was done that linked heavy smokers to increased hangovers. iirc it was Baylor University that was responsible for these findings.

Not entirely sure this is HR, but kinda interesting none the less.

If this is correct than I can see how this explains why benzos and cigarettes are often used together.
When I was a heavy smoker I would feel the need to take Xanax like candy. I have cut down my smoking a lot (2packs a day to less than half a pack a day) and now I don't find the need to dose as often so I can actually stick to my prescribed regimine.

d2618f4333c6c034ec565077afa3d7e5--smoking-cessation-vaping.jpg

I like smokey