• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Re-addiction faster for a previous addict?

StonewaII

Greenlighter
Hi All,

Short question: does a previous addict get re-addicted easier or quicker?

Long question:

First post!! So my S.O. is battling with severe pain, and has a script from her doctor for 10mg hydrocodone, but she was previously addicted a year ago / 2 years ago...

If she was to take 1, or 2, one day but abstain for 2 days, would she be instantly re addicted? She was never abusing like Ive seen here sometimes, she never took more than maybe 40-50mg in a day and that was never a daily or regular amount. Normal amount was about 20mg for a year and a half.

Thanks!

Without a doubt.

What kind of pain do they prescribe 10mg hydrocodone for? Was she ever marked as an addict in the system?

If it's just something temporary like jaw pain from getting a tooth pulled, or a strained muscle etc. then it's much better to just go with something like Aleve. Then again I used to abuse opiates and less than a year after getting clean I got a script for some 7.5's and while I did go through the script a bit faster than I was supposed to I didn't really have any cravings after that.

Endometriosis and fibromyalgia. :(

This still keeps my one question un-answered, if she were to take 10-20 mg one day but abstain the next 2 days because pain was mild, would that be enough for her to feel withdrawal symptoms and such? Quite frankly I am quite daft on the matter and just worried about her.

If it's prescribed then I'd go ahead and trust the doctor, seems she needs it for genuine pain relief and it's not a high or really an abusable dose.

That wouldn't really be enough to feel physical wd symptoms although wd can be highly psychological in nature. There's a big difference in chasing a high vs genuine pain relief. Stuff like codeine and hydro is good about that, it gets you "high" at a much bigger dose than the 10 or 20mg for pain relief.

In answer to both questions, I'd say probably. Its very likely to get addicted again aka relapse if the person was already previously addicted to a certain class of drugs.

Addiction is merely a learning process like any other - e.g. Riding a bike. Once you've become proficient, you can't unlearn it. You might get a little out of practice with abstinence, but as soon as you get back in the saddle, you pick up where you left off...

20 mg per day is most certainly enough to cause physical WD's if taken for extended periods. 20 mg is almost 6 times the threshold dose. Sure 20 mg is nothing compared to high dose methadone. Plenty of people report terrible WD's from mild opioids such as tramadol, kratom, tianeptine, and codeine.

I feal as though Americans have been lead to believe that the standard doses prescribed for pain are not enough to cause addiction if taken for long periods. Unfortanetly we have found this not to be true. 20 mg per day for years on end is the standard dose taken by a majority of the now addicted pain patients.

Pain relief and the state of being high from opioids are one in the same in my opinion on a certain level. Yes your friend would risk readiction. Plenty of people are able to mange without becoming dependent and many are not. I don't know which category she would fall into. She still deserves proper pain relief for a short period of time.

Yeah that is so true what fubar said, that's why i'll never get drunk again, as i know how slippery the slope is and how quickly you can get back into the habits

Yeah that is so true what fubar said, that's why i'll never get drunk again, as i know how slippery the slope is and how quickly you can get back into the habits
Yep. Alcohol is a bitch and a half since it's everywhere and it's socially acceptable to buy and drink it in your own home. Funny how that works.

Alcohol is my plight in life- not benzos or opiates- though H is a close second.

Its legal, but in my experiences with alcohol, it feels as if its harsher on my body than any other substance. To me, the feeling of being drunk is the closest to the meaning "fucked up", in terms of mind-altering substances. Hell even opiates don't give me a "fucked up" feeling. On the contrary, they make me feel quite the opposite of that. Physically, they make me feel blissful and mentally it puts my mind at peace. But alcohol makes me feel heavy, uninhibited, nauseous, and sometimes argumentative. At the worst, I'll wake up feeling shitty with cuts, bruises, and memory loss as if I was abducted by aliens. Certain types of alcohol even make my face red, makes my heart race, and makes me short of breath. If that isn't the best example of the term "fucked up", I don't know what is. There are few drugs out there that fuck people up like alcohol. I don't see why society is so excepting of it despite the fact that even so-called "hard-drugs" pale in comparison to the harsh effects of booze. I bet even if opiates had the same legality status as alcohol they still wouldn't ruin or end as many lives. Given that I'm a bartender, I can't help but wonder if I'm more-or-less a drug dealer despite the fact that its legal.

Every time you relapse you seen to take off where you were previously, you only go downhill faster every time.