• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Niacin flush with Antipsychotics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Specified

Ex-Bluelighter
I'm currently being injected every two weeks with Zuclopenthixol and I was unable to feel the effects of Methamphetamine.
So about a week ago I took some Niacin for about four days and I was able to feel the effects of methamphetamine.

I took it maybe two days in a row and could feel the effects but on the third day I just felt awake.

Surely it's not tolerance because I took about three points compared to half a point on my previous encounters.

Could the Niacin be losing it's effect because I take it everyday and maybe I need to lay off it for a few days or could there be something else at play?

Thanks

Mate, I'm not trying to be judgy or scolding or anything, but what are you even thinking taking meth when you're on a potent antipsychotic?? Aren't you concerned about kicking off the psychosis/schizo issues that you're being treated for in the first place? :\

It's hard to not self medicated when you have a mental illness.

I have Bipolar Disorder, am on an anti-psychotic, do meth and am fine. I obviously don't recommend doing so, but if you're on mood stabilizers as well then those should lessen the impact of your ups and downs from not sleeping and eating. My therapist does say drugs lessen the effectiveness of psychotropics, but drugs are just.. part of my life.

In regards to your question, it could be the niacin, also could actually be tolerance to meth since the half life of the drugs is so long compared to say, coke.

All that said, i'd take a break if i were you. ;)

I don't have a mental illness.
Mate, I'm not trying to be judgy or scolding or anything, but what are you even thinking taking meth when you're on a potent antipsychotic?? Aren't you concerned about kicking off the psychosis/schizo issues that you're being treated for in the first place? :\

I just doubled my Niacin to 1000mg and had half a point and still nothing. it's shitting me I wanna get highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh sooooooooooooooooooo highhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wait maybe it is having some effect just a little. I won't know until I go downstairs and talk to my parents lol

If you dont have a mental illness, why are you taking zuclopenthixol? Its a potent antipsychotic and its main uses are treating symptoms of schitzophrenia and other forms of psychosis. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing this to anyone who doesn't have a mental illness. Antipsychotics have a ton of side effects. I find it weird that any doctor would give you an antipsychotic if you dont have mental illness,

Is it being taken with an antidepressant as an adjunct medication? If so, it'd be weird to get the long acting injectible form, the main reason for the long acting IV depot doses of antipsychotics is the people who get them have a big problem not taking their meds. People who need them to function but will either forget too often or refuses to take them properly, resulting in episodes of psychosis that can be damaging. Basically so the doctor KNOWS you will be on the antipsychotic for 2 weeks.

No I was misdiagnosed with Schizophrenia. it;s not being taken with an antidepressant.

Can I please get a response from someone who knows about Niacin and antipsychotics instead of people saying you have a mental illness you should not be taking drugs.
If you dont have a mental illness, why are you taking zuclopenthixol? Its a potent antipsychotic and its main uses are treating symptoms of schitzophrenia and other forms of psychosis. I can't imagine a doctor prescribing this to anyone who doesn't have a mental illness. Antipsychotics have a ton of side effects. I find it weird that any doctor would give you an antipsychotic if you dont have mental illness,

Is it being taken with an antidepressant as an adjunct medication? If so, it'd be weird to get the long acting injectible form, the main reason for the long acting IV depot doses of antipsychotics is the people who get them have a big problem not taking their meds. People who need them to function but will either forget too often or refuses to take them properly, resulting in episodes of psychosis that can be damaging. Basically so the doctor KNOWS you will be on the antipsychotic for 2 weeks.

The effectiveness of niacin "flushes" is dubious, and may be largely based on the fact that the word "flush" applies to both "a cleansing flow of water" and your "skin turning red and warm" in the English language.

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but what you are experiencing does sound like tolerance/a comedown. Losing a small number of receptors due to downregulation doesn't matter much when you're sober, but when the released dopamine has to compete with an antipsychotic, a small change in receptor density can make a heck of a difference.

Also, just because the meth didn't get you as high as usual, it doesn't mean that your neurons weren't *releasing* dopamine which eventually got broken down by your MAO enzymes. Consequently, even though you didn't "feel" most of that dopamine, it's still gone and can no longer contribute to any meth euphoria on day 3.

Last edited:
The effectiveness of niacin "flushes" is dubious, and may be largely based on the fact that the word "flush" applies to both "a cleansing flow of water" and your "skin turning red and warm" in the English language.

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but what you are experiencing does sound like tolerance/a comedown. Losing a small number of receptors due to downregulation doesn't matter much when you're sober, but when the released dopamine has to compete with antipsychotic, a small change in receptor density can make a heck of a difference.

Also, just because the meth didn't get you as high as usual, it doesn't mean that your neurons weren't *releasing* dopamine which eventually got broken down by your MAO enzymes. Consequently, even though you didn't "feel" most of that dopamine, it's still gone and can no longer contribute to any meth euphoria on day 3.
Thankyou for the answer

If it is a misdiagnosis why are you continuing the Zuclopenthixol injections?

Yes. Now does anyone else have any idea what went wrong? i'm on my first break today.

A drug (meth) that relies on Dopamine while concomitantly taking a Dopamine antagonist, Zuclopenthixol..

I think Hodor left a perfectly plausible explanation.

Anyway, I hate to break it to you, but what you are experiencing does sound like tolerance/a comedown. Losing a small number of receptors due to downregulation doesn't matter much when you're sober, but when the released dopamine has to compete with an antipsychotic, a small change in receptor density can make a heck of a difference.

No. He took the time to give a very complete answer with more than one facet. In fact you thanked him for it.

Furthermore this isn't going anywhere and has been asked and answered.

Zuclopenthixol isn't compatible with meth.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.