• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Still having PHYSICAL opiate withdrawal symptoms 2 weeks later...???

Sunkrist

Greenlighter
Hi all, today is day 16 of no opiates and I've had no relapses, no loperamide, or anything like that. I really started feeling better at about day 12, but yesterday and today feels like I'm back at day 5 or so, with GI symptoms, sweats, chills, watery eyes, goosebumps... Sleeping is still not great but that's been a struggle the whole time, so I'm not worried about that, as it's getting progressively better (though at a snail's pace). But the other symptoms that are back had really settled down for several days, so I don't understand why they re-emerged when there's been no obvious reason that I can think of. If it makes a difference, I was taking tramadol for over a year. I tapered yet still had a moderate withdrawal. If anyone had PHYSICAL symptoms after 2 weeks, please tell me your honest experience and when it finally settled down, thank you!!

I had withdrawal from buprenorphine for much longer than that, what were you on?

it can last a while.

I had withdrawal from buprenorphine for much longer than that, what were you on?

Hey CH, thanks for responding! I was on tramadol. This morning is much better - I guess it was just a thing lol. I knew I'd have lingering symptoms, but I was so thrown off because I had had several good days and then 2 days of physical symptoms that reminded me of acute withdrawal. Ready to move on, haha.

Tramadol's effects, from my experience, seemed to last a lot longer than the typical ope (though not sure of it's actual half-life) so I could see why maybe it's wd effects lasted longer. in general, my wds always lasted more in the 2 week range vs the one week range, but I always figured that was bc I had a really heavy h habit. Tramadol is pretty mild compared to what I was doing, so idk...maybe you are *ACTUALLY* sick.

No doesn't make sense sure you are not ill?

At first I wondered if I might be, but I'm definitely not sick. This is some kind of weird resurgence in wd symptoms. It definitely worsens when I start doing things or moving around, anything that gets my metabolism going. It's the skin and GI symptoms that are getting to me, although today is better than yesterday. I just can't stand that cold sweat/hot flash/sweaty feeling. Today is day 17, hoping next week will be substantially better.

I'm 63 days free of methadone and still having GI issues. My dr said the methadone was masking IBS. Maybe your experiencing something similar. Don't start taking imodium unless you have severe diarrhea. Even if you take 2 a day you'll end up prolonging your withdrawal. Everyone is different. It may take longer for you since you've been on them a while. Hang in there and it should be over soon.

How's your emotions ? Usually if your in acute withdrawal then the tears flow at the slightest thing. Tramadol is weird stuff ,so it could be those playing peek-a-boo . If it was post-acute withdrawal then it would be just crushing depression without the physical stuff . Since tramadol is a SNRI+opiate you may feel different symptoms than normal opiates. It can be frustrating when you see others thats detoxed feeling better and you still feel like shit . I hope this helps some .

How's your emotions ? Usually if your in acute withdrawal then the tears flow at the slightest thing. Tramadol is weird stuff ,so it could be those playing peek-a-boo . If it was post-acute withdrawal then it would be just crushing depression without the physical stuff . Since tramadol is a SNRI+opiate you may feel different symptoms than normal opiates. It can be frustrating when you see others thats detoxed feeling better and you still feel like shit . I hope this helps some .

Thank you, hikfromstik! Your thoughtful responses are very encouraging. It's strange because emotionally, I feel ok... I feel wiped out and a little unmotivated at times, but I've kept busy and enjoyed writing music and poetry again. I've played with the kids and felt like getting into projects, just waiting on enough energy to return to start them. I do think the SNRI portion of tramadol is playing a greater role at this point. I've just been so confused because I had a block of good days following acute wd and now I feel like I'm back at day 5 or 6. I think I'm just mentally tired of sweating and goosebumps too.

Hey Sunkist!

What you're going through is my normal w w/d.

It's ironic that you mentioned day 16, When I detoxed in jail, off of IV heroin (a big ass habit - 21bags a day -a gram and a half a day plus 300mg of prescribed morphine a day) I still was sick on day 16.

I still hadn't eaten yet, and was only taking tiny sips of iced tea. Then the Dr. Prescribed Neurontin that day. Within 45mins I was starving, I stopped the gross sweating/freezing stuff. All of it.

I digress, I was still sick is my point. It takes alot of us a month or so until we're through acute withdrawal (unless it's methadone of course. A nod to hikfromstik, who has done incredibly well getting off it). I have heard tramadol is a beast. However, I'm not sure why.

You're almost there. Hang on tight and stay positive. You're through the worst of acute withdrawal.

You're almost there. Hang on tight and stay positive. You're through the worst of acute withdrawal.

Hey 10! Thanks so much for responding. Today was actually much better so I'm thankful for that. What a rough 3 weeks these have been! That's really impressive that you detoxed in jail...I just can't imagine, bless you! Do you have a thread that tells your story? I find everyone's stories and advice so inspiring...it's helped me push through when I wanted to give up.

You're very welcome Sunkist.

I indeed do have a thread that tells my story. I detoxed twice in jail. It was pretty traumatic for me. I had seizures and hallucinated horribly. Good times lol.

My original username is Stargazer. For some reason I'm unable to get back into my account. We couldn't figure out why.

I think the title of the thread is Coming out of the wreckage. Toothpastedog was kind enough to combine my threads w posts from Stargazer and 10YearsGone.

I'm glad you're feeling good!! It really is brutal to detox. It tests everything you're made of. Good job!!!

You're very welcome Sunkist.

I indeed do have a thread that tells my story. I detoxed twice in jail. It was pretty traumatic for me. I had seizures and hallucinated horribly. Good times lol.

My original username is Stargazer. For some reason I'm unable to get back into my account. We couldn't figure out why.

I think the title of the thread is Coming out of the wreckage. Toothpastedog was kind enough to combine my threads w posts from Stargazer and 10YearsGone.

I'm glad you're feeling good!! It really is brutal to detox. It tests everything you're made of. Good job!!!
Your so close to there!! You got it nailed now!! I hope you were able to find some benzos, a seroquil, and a glass of wine, and maybe a salad.
You?d pass out if you took a mild bath afterwards.
I really really am pulling and praying for you hard!!
Your almost there him!!!! You can do it I know you can. We?ll be in touch and and figure out how your doing once you get it stable. You can decide wether you want to try and cut back or keep on.
I really think you are by far my favorite bluelighter and I?m sorry I didn?t get back with you earlier had a very bad day. Oh well. Things will hopefully get better.
Best of luck msgs Sherri!!

^Thanks bb. You are awesome yourself. Thanks for the much-needed encouragement. I was losing it.

Once I'm stable, I want to hear more about your tapering method.

Sorry Sunkist - not trying to hijack your thread.

Hope today proves to be another great day for you! ❤️

^Sorry Sunkist - not trying to hijack your thread.

Hope today proves to be another great day for you! ❤️

Good morning 10! No worries...I'm enjoying everyone's comments. I woke up feeling the best I've felt in a long time. Going to try exercising today to get my metabolism going and try to stimulate endorphin production. I've really appreciated everyone's thoughtful input. Since I'm no longer going to be taking opioids for pain control, I've got to come up with a plan to treat and prevent as much of it as possible. That's the goal for today! :D

Great plan Sunkist! Excercise really does help w mood Alot.

I also am trying to get my recovery plan fine tuned. I have chronic pain also. And I was going through hell inducting on to subs. BeenBetter gave me the encouragingment I needed to hang on. It really does help having others cheer you on. We love ya Sunkist.

I'm truly happy you came out on the other side. Very well done. ❤️????

I also am trying to get my recovery plan fine tuned. I have chronic pain also. And I was going through hell inducting on to subs. BeenBetter gave me the encouragingment I needed to hang on. It really does help having others cheer you on. We love ya Sunkist.

Thank you, 10! I appreciate all the encouragement. Today was kind of rough, pain-wise (but I'm glad to be opioid-free!). The pain that led me down this road in the first place really flared up today. I feel like I spent all my mental energy dealing with that lol. I was very touched by your story: I finally got to read it today and I just had no idea the jails could even legally ignore a medical emergency (and if ever there was a medical emergency, it's seizures!). You are one tough cookie to withstand that...I just can't imagine but no one should have to endure withdrawal in that kind of setting. I hate to hear that the sub induction was tough...do you feel stabilized on them yet or are you still in the adjustment phase? How are you feeling tonight? I have a friend on subs and it was quite an adjustment for her. She is doing so well now and I love seeing her so stable and able lol. She is able to be there for her kids and is finally making some money! I'm so proud of her.

When you get your recovery plan fine-tuned, I'd love to hear whatever you're comfortable sharing. My goal is to go walking tomorrow, and to do a few of my physiotherapy exercises I haven't done in 6+ months lol. But I will do it. I've also got to get my sugar intake down: I had lost 50 pounds while on tramadol and was loving that, but since my last dose I've gained about 7 pounds. My ultimate goal is to restore my endorphin production as quickly as possible, and I think exercise will be my best bet. You've really inspired me 10, and to all others reading this post: be good to yourself...you really do deserve it! I'll check in tomorrow. :)

Hi everyone... I just wanted to give a quick update in case it helps anyone out there. Today is day 27 since my last tramadol and I'm feeling much better. I do still get the faintest wisps of cold sweats, but if I'm busy I barely notice. I'm averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night, and still have really low energy levels, but that seems to be resolving slowly. Someone mentioned in another post that day-to-day it's hard to tell improvements, but week-to-week shows much more progress. That statement helped me stay in the race, so to speak, and I'm finally starting to feel like my old self again. My motivation seems to ebb and flow, and I have a hard time getting things like housework and cooking done because I feel so tired mentally and physically, but there are bursts of mental motivation and that helps keep me on track. I've gained weight which is a bummer, but I'll take that over withdrawal anytime lol. I just wanted to update this thread because when I searched for info early in withdrawal, it was hard to find posts that were regularly updated by the OP. Thanks so much for all the encouragement!

That's great news , the lack of motivation is the worse parts of paws . You'll continue improving. Congrats on sticking with it .