Bluelight

Thread: Still having PHYSICAL opiate withdrawal symptoms 2 weeks later...???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Just wanted to check in...40 days free of tramadol and feeling so much better. I'm finally cleaning my house (it's awful), cooking almost every day, sleeping so much better and feel more emotionally stable to deal with life's frustrations. If anyone's reading and on the fence about whether or not to stick it out...do it! Each day that I'm opioid-free is one more day of power I get back. Feels good.

2. Collapse Details

Hey Sun"Krist" not Sun"kist"! My apologies for getting it wrong!

I swear, even stable on Suboxone, I still get the gross chills/hot thing when I move fast. I really wonder why!! I hate that feeling. Alot.

I am so happy to hear you're feeling well - physically, mentally, emotionally. Well done.

I hope you realize you've just accomplished something huge. Something many can't. You are very, very strong. Remember that.

I wanted to ask you, what was your reason for stopping tramadol? I'm asking out of pure curiosity lol. You stuck to your guns and stood strong. And that isn't easy.

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have alot going on and sometimes, if a thread isn't close to the top, I miss it. I apologize. You have been in my thoughts and I was hoping were doing well. For some reason, I had the feeling you were. You have shown such determination from the start.

As far as my recovery, I really do have to take it a day at a time. Excercise. Meetings. Ibuprofen. Lyrica here and there. For now, that's where I am. I hope to get hobbies fit in somewhere.

It's great to hear you're doing.well Sinkrist.

3. Collapse Details

^*Sunkrist. Damn autocorrect

4. Collapse Details

Hey 10!! So good to hear from you! And glad to hear you're doing well on Suboxone. Those skin symptoms are just awful, right? And even the hint of a chill or hot flash just wears me out mentally lol, but thankfully they're minor and infrequent at this point. One other thing about the sweats...I tried to go out to the homecoming parade about 2 weeks into quitting trams, thinking I'd be ok since it was still in the 90s and everyone would be sweating, not just me. Well, apparently I looked like I had just had a baby bc a couple people asked me if I was ok and needed some water, etc...I was not ready to be seen in public lol. Should've stayed home that day! Anyway, as far as why I stopped tramadol, it was several reasons, but the main one was always being worried if I'd have enough to make it through a vacation, a big event, a crisis (this happened to me and was a wake up call), or enough to get through work. I just hated having that loom over me all the time. I had to weigh all of that against the pain I have from my autoimmune condition. Now that I'm adjusting to "the other side," I've found I'd just rather deal with the pain than be worried about impending withdrawal. I've also had a wonderful support system with my husband and family...I can't say enough about how far that has gone in helping me to stay the course. And bluelight! I have gotten so much encouragement from reading everyone's stories and struggles. Just curious, what hobbies are you hoping to add to the mix? I seem to remember you enjoy working with children but I might be mixing up someone else's story with yours. I am so glad you are stable on suboxone but hope you can get some hobbies in there soon...it's hard to do. How long have you been on Lyrica? Does it help alongside the suboxone? I've been on gabapentin for years (it didn't help me w/wd) but want to taper off of it eventually. I know it can be rough. Thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts, it is so good to hear from you!

5. Collapse Details

I hear you on being concerned about having enough meds. I went through that too. You're very wise to nip it in the bud. It never gets better.

As far as hobbies, I like to dance, and making things. I was thinking about signing up for maybe ballroom dancing (would also be a great workout), and a jewelry making course that Michael's offers. And like you, I'd like to get more excercise in. Joining a gym would motivate me to excercise more frequently. It really does help with elevating my mood. I could use that help lol.

Holy crap - the sweating in w/d is insane! When I had that difficult time inducting this past time, I couldn't even go to the store. Like you said, it would've caused people to be concerned lol! It was just running down my face, my clothes were stuck to me, uuggh. For me, the profuse sweating/freezing, restlessness and anxiety are the worst w/d symptoms to deal with.

I'm so grateful to be stable at least. I try to remember that when I feel depressed. Its great to hear from you Sunkrist!

6. Collapse Details

Damn- I forgot to address your question on Lyrica and also wanted to comment about Neurontin.

I take Neurontin everyday, and have for the past 4yrs. It doesn't help with w/d symptoms for me either. It loses that ability when taken regularly, as we both do.

Neurontin doesn't help much for pain for me. What it does help is keeping anxiety and panic attacks to manageable levels for me. And that is a godsend. I believe the reason I abused opiates was to stop the anxiety. And that stopped working. Even at insane amounts, opiates stopped helping.

Suboxone doesn't seem to help much for pain. Lyrica is what I find most effective for pain magement. I try to save it for my worst days. I'm afraid if I take it too frequently, it will lose effectivenrss.

Does Neurontin help with pain for you? Hope you're having a great day

7. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    Gabapentin never seemed to help me much with WD either, although if I took double (plus) my prescribed dose of 900mg, it would at least help me get a little sleep, but it's still inferior to benzodiazepines IME. I've been taking it for over four years now, so I'm not sure it's not doing anything anymore, but I'm such an anxiety ridden mess lately I don't want to try and come off it make my anxiety worse. I can't speak for Lyrica. There's just no legitimate reason for me to spend the money on it since I don't have nerve pain issues and there are much less expensive options for anxiety and mood stabilization.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

8. Collapse Details

Hi aih-

I'm sorry to hear about the severe anxiety. Lately, well actually more than lately, I've been feeling restless and depressed. I'm wondering if I don't need meds added or adjusted.

I'm not "allowed" to take any benzos per sub Dr. She gave me vistoril (sp?) for anxiety. It doesn't help at all. I don't even bother taking them. No point.

If you don't mind me asking, what's causing the severe anxiety? Is it life events? Pm me anytime if you want/need to.

The depression and anxiety don't help w my cravings. I'm going to put serious effort into getting the hobbies going A benzo would be really helpful right now. But, as I said above, it's a no go if I want to be on Subs.

9. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    10, I'm going to send you a PM about what's going on in my life, but I will point out that Vistaril is a terrible drug. I will concede it somewhat helped my anxiety, but it was way too sedating to take during the day, and not sedating enough at night. Buspar was even worse. Completely worthless. I really try to not take a benzo during the workday, but a low dose returns me back to baseline and leaves me clearheaded enough to function in worst case scenario. There's a lot of hostility to antidepressants around here, but they've been very helpful to me, especially Celexa (citalopram), so I would encourage you to ask about them if you think they might help and trust the doctor's judgment.

10. Collapse Details

Vistaril does nothing for me. I can't even tell I took anything. She prescribed like 6 a day. I'm not sure what mg. They're these really pretty, Kelly green, mint green and white little capsules.

I never took 6 in a day. I tried taking 2 for anxiety. Nothing. I tried 3 different times. Nothing each time.

Celexa for depression A? You find it helpful? I'm open to trying. The depression has been going on for a long time. Anything else you found helpful for anxiety and depression? Like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Hope your day is a good one.

11. Collapse Details

Just wanted to share something:

On YouTube, there's a very touching and informative 20/20 video about Elizabeth Vargas' struggle w alcoholism. I'm not sure if it's 2 parts.

Anyway, the title is "The Making of an Alcoholic + Barely Surviving Alcoholism..."

If you haven't watched it already, it's worth watching. Just wanted to share that w everyone.

12. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    I also have her book, Beyond Breaths. It's a good read.

Celexa was a life changer for me. It was a psych hospital psychiatrist that first prescribed it when I went in for detox. I had already been in a residential rehab and seen scads of doctors and this one was the first that suggested I might be depressed. I resisted it at first flatly stating I wasn't depressed, but he asked me to give it a try and if it didn't do anything, or had negative effects, I could always come off it. Well, as it turns out, when I don't feel like shit about myself and the world around me, I had much less of a reason to drink. Maybe I won't be on it forever, but I have no plans to stop anytime soon.

I wish I could advise more about how to deal with anxiety because that is still a major problem for me. I'd love nothing more than to suck back some freezing cold vodka, but circumstances dictate that I can't I just try to keep myself preoccupied. I didn't really want to go to trivia last night with friends from AA, but I went anyway because otherwise I would just be sitting at home alone with the dog letting my mind run wild. As it was, we got second place which isn't bad when you consider it was just three of us (plus Sonny, the dog) and we were playing against teams of 7-8 people. I'll probably go to tonight's AA meeting (again, I don't really want to go), but I won't be at home alone, plus one of my closer friends is moving to Miami next week and this will be my last opportunity to see him.
    Last edited by aihfl; 05-10-2018 at 19:20.

13. Collapse Details

I really want to get her book. Her story was very touching and very relateable. I like how it shows that addiction doesn't discriminate.

I have an appointment next week w sub Dr who is a psychiatrist. I'm going to ask about Celexa.

I hear you about getting motivated to do things, yet not wanting to stay home and think.

97% of the time, getting out is a good decision. :/. It's tough. The struggle is so real.

14. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    I just sent you a PM, but another good read is The End of My Addiction, by Olivier Ameisen MD. He was a French-American cardiologist who was an attending physician at NY Presbyterian Hospital and faculty at the Cornell University Downstate Medical School. He suffered from crippling anxiety and became severely alcoholic. There were no trials, so he basically experimented on himself with the muscle relaxant baclofen, and that was how he managed to become sober. I was on baclofen for years and it wasn't the miracle cure for me that it was for him, but it helped, and that book helped more doctors open up to the possibility of baclofen use in treatment-resistant alcohol dependency cases.
    Last edited by aihfl; 05-10-2018 at 19:41.

15. Collapse Details

Thanks for the book suggestions. Both sound very interesting and informative.

SinKrist, I do want to work w children. I just am not sure how to go about it.

I wanted to work w the kids at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). Doing whatever is needed. Reading to them, doing arts and crafts, rocking whoever needs rocking, etc.

I haven't been sleeping well. Hopefully I will sleep a little. Uuggh.

16. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 10YearsGone View Post
    Damn- I forgot to address your question on Lyrica and also wanted to comment about Neurontin.

I take Neurontin everyday, and have for the past 4yrs. It doesn't help with w/d symptoms for me either. It loses that ability when taken regularly, as we both do.

Neurontin doesn't help much for pain for me. What it does help is keeping anxiety and panic attacks to manageable levels for me. And that is a godsend. I believe the reason I abused opiates was to stop the anxiety. And that stopped working. Even at insane amounts, opiates stopped helping.

Suboxone doesn't seem to help much for pain. Lyrica is what I find most effective for pain magement. I try to save it for my worst days. I'm afraid if I take it too frequently, it will lose effectivenrss.

Does Neurontin help with pain for you? Hope you're having a great day
    Hey 10 years, I just started Lyrica 75mgsx2 4 days ago for Fibro, and titrating to 150?2 in 3 days. I swear a few hours after the first dose I had dilated pupils and was the most pain free I'd been in a long time.

Aside from that, and maybe some decreased symptoms, I've had flare ups that have me moaning in pain. All the information out there says week-2 weeks to be effective. What's your advice/experience?

Also on thread topic: I'm approaching 20 days clean from IV Fent habit and still physically at 20 percent. I can only do a few daily chores/personal heygeine with heavy fatigue, still get bad cramps, and have these strange hits of lightheadedness constantly (even while.sitting), almost like a brain zap without the electrical feeling.

I thought this whole thing would be opposite. I thought the mentally I would be a pile of shit. It's so frustrating wanting.to go to the gym, and eat normally, and go for a run when you sit and contemplate for 10 minutes about walking to the fucking mailbox. Definite lesson on what these drugs can do you.

I'm realizing quickly, certain individuals, especially those with prolonged/heavy heavy short acting opioid use, are falling in between the medical detox methadone timeline, and the heroin timeline.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12