• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Still having PHYSICAL opiate withdrawal symptoms 2 weeks later...???

What an upbeat thread this is! I love reading how each of you are encouraging each other. I am sure that everyone in this thread (and the many ppl who read here but don't post) will feel more hopeful and more inspired after reading these posts you have all shared :)

Sunkist: By now, you are probably feeling far better than the first weeks, but it's very typical to feel good, then have a bad spell - followed by a good one and another not so good one. During this part of recovery, you will have more and more good days and fewer bad ones as the last of the physical symptoms fade away. For me, nights were the worst time and there were times I wondered if I'd every stop having chills, skin burning sensations or if I'd ever get 8 hours of sleep. I did stop having them and I sleep like a log every night now - and you will too if keep going. The fatigue does go away, but if you're like me, it comes back slow. Your "off tramadol" normal may not be as energetic as your "on tramadol" normal was. Exercise can help a lot (it did for me). I found I usually had more energy the rest of the day if I got some exercise every day. Exercise helped my mood too.

You really are doing great - congratulations!

"Some people donate a kidney are considered heros, but I donate 5 of them and then get arrested - WTF" :)
Take care,
Dale

What an upbeat thread this is! I love reading how each of you are encouraging each other. I am sure that everyone in this thread (and the many ppl who read here but don't post) will feel more hopeful and more inspired after reading these posts you have all shared :)

Sunkist: By now, you are probably feeling far better than the first weeks, but it's very typical to feel good, then have a bad spell - followed by a good one and another not so good one. During this part of recovery, you will have more and more good days and fewer bad ones as the last of the physical symptoms fade away. For me, nights were the worst time and there were times I wondered if I'd every stop having chills, skin burning sensations or if I'd ever get 8 hours of sleep. I did stop having them and I sleep like a log every night now - and you will too if keep going. The fatigue does go away, but if you're like me, it comes back slow. Your "off tramadol" normal may not be as energetic as your "on tramadol" normal was. Exercise can help a lot (it did for me). I found I usually had more energy the rest of the day if I got some exercise every day. Exercise helped my mood too.

You really are doing great - congratulations!

"Some people donate a kidney are considered heros, but I donate 5 of them and then get arrested - WTF" :)
Take care,
Dale

Hi SoCal424/Dale!

Thanks for stopping by! I've read several of your posts in other threads and you are such an encouragement to so many. I started reading your methadone tapering thread today and you have so much to be proud of...congrats on your recovery! Tapering requires such a steadfast diligence and patience that can just wear you down. I started tapering and failed so many times before this last time. It is hard. And it's just so tempting - once you get to a low dose - to take a few extra just to "have a good day" and escape the minor withdrawal and fatigue that accompanies each dose cut. That always messed me up and set me back lol. For anyone reading along, I am 32 days free of tramadol, and I thought the cold sweats/hot flashes/chills and RLS would never end when I started this thread. But, they finally did and that made life so much better. And Dale, thanks for the encouragement for this post-acute phase I'm in... the fatigue is slowly getting better and I'm doing more and more each day. I'm able to keep up with the kids (but not 100%) and have started cooking supper again (and THAT'S when I miss tramadol lol). It's so strange how all those kinds of mundane things seemed so insurmountable at first. I couldn't even handle the thought of them, but now I enjoy getting up and getting things done. I do need to exercise, I'm just waiting on the cooler air to move in so I can walk outside (that's my excuse haha). Anyway, I wanted to give an update because everyone has been so helpful and encouraging. I LOVE this forum!

"I never wanted to believe that my Dad was stealing from his job as a road worker. But when I got home, all the signs were there." Haha! Thanks Dale!!

Dear Bluelight diary: I exercised.

haha, this is a historic day...it's the first cool morning (60 degrees, nice) so I got up and walked. Surprising part was that those old hot flashes/chills showed up for the first time in several days...I guess it's the increase in metabolism that got them going. But they were minor and they've already settled down and I have to admit: it did feel good on my back (and my mind) to get my blood going and breathe deeply. I have no idea if I'll be consistent with exercise, but I'm going to try and remember how much better my stiff joints are feeling right now so that maybe I'll keep it up. I did sleep really well last night, hallelujah. Yesterday, my friend paid for the order of the person in line behind her in the drive thru. It was very touching and made me want to get myself together so I can do more that's "outside myself," if that makes sense. I hope everyone has a wonderful day and if you're in the storm of withdrawal...keep going. Start a thread, comment on someone else's, reach out to someone you trust, so others can encourage you. You and your future are worth it.

Hi I have been using tramadol for a long time, I'm currently on my latest withdrawal at 2 days, my longest was 14 days and I felt completely normal at that....I usually start feeling better at day 4-5....all I can say is some withdrawals are better than others ...the last few times I was able to sleep 8 solid hours from day 1 which never used to be the case.

My biggest issue this time is lack of energy and just generally feeling sorry for myself....the first week is like a week of grieving.

Hope you feel better soon, keep up the good work.

Hi I have been using tramadol for a long time, I'm currently on my latest withdrawal at 2 days, my longest was 14 days and I felt completely normal at that....I usually start feeling better at day 4-5....all I can say is some withdrawals are better than others ...the last few times I was able to sleep 8 solid hours from day 1 which never used to be the case.

My biggest issue this time is lack of energy and just generally feeling sorry for myself....the first week is like a week of grieving.

Hope you feel better soon, keep up the good work.

Hey Dutch! Sorry I'm just now seeing your post. I hope you've been able to get some rest and are hanging in there. I am still having way more fatigue than my pre-Tramadol self but it is gradually getting better. And my brain feels run down, if that makes sense. Just hard to muster enough motivation to get things done but some days are better than others on that front. How did today go for you? Has it let up any yet? I'm pulling for you and hope it passes quickly. Keep in touch!

Just wanted to check in...40 days free of tramadol and feeling so much better. I'm finally cleaning my house (it's awful), cooking almost every day, sleeping so much better and feel more emotionally stable to deal with life's frustrations. If anyone's reading and on the fence about whether or not to stick it out...do it! Each day that I'm opioid-free is one more day of power I get back. Feels good.

Hey Sun"Krist" not Sun"kist"! My apologies for getting it wrong!

I swear, even stable on Suboxone, I still get the gross chills/hot thing when I move fast. I really wonder why!! I hate that feeling. Alot.

I am so happy to hear you're feeling well - physically, mentally, emotionally. Well done. <3

I hope you realize you've just accomplished something huge. Something many can't. You are very, very strong. Remember that.

I wanted to ask you, what was your reason for stopping tramadol? I'm asking out of pure curiosity lol. You stuck to your guns and stood strong. And that isn't easy. <3

I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I have alot going on and sometimes, if a thread isn't close to the top, I miss it. I apologize. You have been in my thoughts and I was hoping were doing well. For some reason, I had the feeling you were. You have shown such determination from the start.

As far as my recovery, I really do have to take it a day at a time. Excercise. Meetings. Ibuprofen. Lyrica here and there. For now, that's where I am. I hope to get hobbies fit in somewhere.

It's great to hear you're doing.well Sinkrist. :) <3

Hey 10!! So good to hear from you! And glad to hear you're doing well on Suboxone. Those skin symptoms are just awful, right? And even the hint of a chill or hot flash just wears me out mentally lol, but thankfully they're minor and infrequent at this point. One other thing about the sweats...I tried to go out to the homecoming parade about 2 weeks into quitting trams, thinking I'd be ok since it was still in the 90s and everyone would be sweating, not just me. Well, apparently I looked like I had just had a baby bc a couple people asked me if I was ok and needed some water, etc...I was not ready to be seen in public lol. Should've stayed home that day! Anyway, as far as why I stopped tramadol, it was several reasons, but the main one was always being worried if I'd have enough to make it through a vacation, a big event, a crisis (this happened to me and was a wake up call), or enough to get through work. I just hated having that loom over me all the time. I had to weigh all of that against the pain I have from my autoimmune condition. Now that I'm adjusting to "the other side," I've found I'd just rather deal with the pain than be worried about impending withdrawal. I've also had a wonderful support system with my husband and family...I can't say enough about how far that has gone in helping me to stay the course. And bluelight! I have gotten so much encouragement from reading everyone's stories and struggles. Just curious, what hobbies are you hoping to add to the mix? I seem to remember you enjoy working with children but I might be mixing up someone else's story with yours. I am so glad you are stable on suboxone but hope you can get some hobbies in there soon...it's hard to do. How long have you been on Lyrica? Does it help alongside the suboxone? I've been on gabapentin for years (it didn't help me w/wd) but want to taper off of it eventually. I know it can be rough. Thanks so much for keeping me in your thoughts, it is so good to hear from you!

I hear you on being concerned about having enough meds. I went through that too. You're very wise to nip it in the bud. It never gets better.

As far as hobbies, I like to dance, and making things. I was thinking about signing up for maybe ballroom dancing (would also be a great workout), and a jewelry making course that Michael's offers. And like you, I'd like to get more excercise in. Joining a gym would motivate me to excercise more frequently. It really does help with elevating my mood. I could use that help lol.

Holy crap - the sweating in w/d is insane! When I had that difficult time inducting this past time, I couldn't even go to the store. Like you said, it would've caused people to be concerned lol! It was just running down my face, my clothes were stuck to me, uuggh. For me, the profuse sweating/freezing, restlessness and anxiety are the worst w/d symptoms to deal with.

I'm so grateful to be stable at least. I try to remember that when I feel depressed. Its great to hear from you Sunkrist!

Damn- I forgot to address your question on Lyrica and also wanted to comment about Neurontin.

I take Neurontin everyday, and have for the past 4yrs. It doesn't help with w/d symptoms for me either. It loses that ability when taken regularly, as we both do.

Neurontin doesn't help much for pain for me. What it does help is keeping anxiety and panic attacks to manageable levels for me. And that is a godsend. I believe the reason I abused opiates was to stop the anxiety. And that stopped working. Even at insane amounts, opiates stopped helping.

Suboxone doesn't seem to help much for pain. Lyrica is what I find most effective for pain magement. I try to save it for my worst days. I'm afraid if I take it too frequently, it will lose effectivenrss.

Does Neurontin help with pain for you? Hope you're having a great day :)

Gabapentin never seemed to help me much with WD either, although if I took double (plus) my prescribed dose of 900mg, it would at least help me get a little sleep, but it's still inferior to benzodiazepines IME. I've been taking it for over four years now, so I'm not sure it's not doing anything anymore, but I'm such an anxiety ridden mess lately I don't want to try and come off it make my anxiety worse. I can't speak for Lyrica. There's just no legitimate reason for me to spend the money on it since I don't have nerve pain issues and there are much less expensive options for anxiety and mood stabilization.

Hi aih-

I'm sorry to hear about the severe anxiety. Lately, well actually more than lately, I've been feeling restless and depressed. I'm wondering if I don't need meds added or adjusted.

I'm not "allowed" to take any benzos per sub Dr. She gave me vistoril (sp?) for anxiety. It doesn't help at all. I don't even bother taking them. No point.

If you don't mind me asking, what's causing the severe anxiety? Is it life events? Pm me anytime if you want/need to.

The depression and anxiety don't help w my cravings. I'm going to put serious effort into getting the hobbies going A benzo would be really helpful right now. But, as I said above, it's a no go if I want to be on Subs.

10, I'm going to send you a PM about what's going on in my life, but I will point out that Vistaril is a terrible drug. I will concede it somewhat helped my anxiety, but it was way too sedating to take during the day, and not sedating enough at night. Buspar was even worse. Completely worthless. I really try to not take a benzo during the workday, but a low dose returns me back to baseline and leaves me clearheaded enough to function in worst case scenario. There's a lot of hostility to antidepressants around here, but they've been very helpful to me, especially Celexa (citalopram), so I would encourage you to ask about them if you think they might help and trust the doctor's judgment.

Vistaril does nothing for me. I can't even tell I took anything. She prescribed like 6 a day. I'm not sure what mg. They're these really pretty, Kelly green, mint green and white little capsules.

I never took 6 in a day. I tried taking 2 for anxiety. Nothing. I tried 3 different times. Nothing each time.

Celexa for depression A? You find it helpful? I'm open to trying. The depression has been going on for a long time. Anything else you found helpful for anxiety and depression? Like I said, I'm open to suggestions.

Hope your day is a good one. <3

Just wanted to share something:

On YouTube, there's a very touching and informative 20/20 video about Elizabeth Vargas' struggle w alcoholism. I'm not sure if it's 2 parts.

Anyway, the title is "The Making of an Alcoholic + Barely Surviving Alcoholism..."

If you haven't watched it already, it's worth watching. Just wanted to share that w everyone. <3

I also have her book, Beyond Breaths. It's a good read.

Celexa was a life changer for me. It was a psych hospital psychiatrist that first prescribed it when I went in for detox. I had already been in a residential rehab and seen scads of doctors and this one was the first that suggested I might be depressed. I resisted it at first flatly stating I wasn't depressed, but he asked me to give it a try and if it didn't do anything, or had negative effects, I could always come off it. Well, as it turns out, when I don't feel like shit about myself and the world around me, I had much less of a reason to drink. Maybe I won't be on it forever, but I have no plans to stop anytime soon.

I wish I could advise more about how to deal with anxiety because that is still a major problem for me. I'd love nothing more than to suck back some freezing cold vodka, but circumstances dictate that I can't :\ I just try to keep myself preoccupied. I didn't really want to go to trivia last night with friends from AA, but I went anyway because otherwise I would just be sitting at home alone with the dog letting my mind run wild. As it was, we got second place which isn't bad when you consider it was just three of us (plus Sonny, the dog) and we were playing against teams of 7-8 people. I'll probably go to tonight's AA meeting (again, I don't really want to go), but I won't be at home alone, plus one of my closer friends is moving to Miami next week and this will be my last opportunity to see him.

Last edited:
I really want to get her book. Her story was very touching and very relateable. I like how it shows that addiction doesn't discriminate.

I have an appointment next week w sub Dr who is a psychiatrist. I'm going to ask about Celexa.

I hear you about getting motivated to do things, yet not wanting to stay home and think.

97% of the time, getting out is a good decision. :) :/. It's tough. The struggle is so real.

I just sent you a PM, but another good read is The End of My Addiction, by Olivier Ameisen MD. He was a French-American cardiologist who was an attending physician at NY Presbyterian Hospital and faculty at the Cornell University Downstate Medical School. He suffered from crippling anxiety and became severely alcoholic. There were no trials, so he basically experimented on himself with the muscle relaxant baclofen, and that was how he managed to become sober. I was on baclofen for years and it wasn't the miracle cure for me that it was for him, but it helped, and that book helped more doctors open up to the possibility of baclofen use in treatment-resistant alcohol dependency cases.

Last edited:
Thanks for the book suggestions. Both sound very interesting and informative.

SinKrist, I do want to work w children. I just am not sure how to go about it.

I wanted to work w the kids at CHOP (Children's Hospital of Philadelphia). Doing whatever is needed. Reading to them, doing arts and crafts, rocking whoever needs rocking, etc.

I haven't been sleeping well. Hopefully I will sleep a little. Uuggh.