• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Flat Affect - what does it mean?

iridescentblack

Bluelighter
I've been told I have a flat affect, which is supposedly something I have due to my 'schizophrenia'. However I've been known to be very expressive with people who actually know me well.

Flat affect: A severe reduction in emotional expressiveness. People with depression and schizophrenia often show flat affect. A person with schizophrenia may not show the signs of normal emotion, perhaps may speak in a monotonous voice, have diminished facial expressions, and appear extremely apathetic. Also known as blunted affect.

I've always thought of these people who will claim this about another person to be very unintelligent and expressive about every little thing because everything is just super incomprehensible to them. Could someone explain this to me in a way that makes sense?

Thank you

Flat affect is basically just as it says in the definition. I too am said to have flat affect, although i am very expressive at times. A better word for this, for me, is "glib". My expression with emotions comes off a bit "fake" because my natural state of being is more monotonous.

Flat affect is basically, talking and expressing yourself as if you're counting from 1 to 100.

Like, instead of "one, two, three, four", you go, "Hi, my name is Joe. I enjoy eating ice cream", in the same manner. The manner being "flat".

Hopefully that makes sense.

Most if not all of the symptoms described also fit schizoid/schizotypal personality disorder.