Bluelight

Thread: Nike & Colin Kaepernick

1. Collapse Details
    Nike & Colin Kaepernick 
    guy took a knee and nike adds him to new campaign.

his adoptive parents support him on taking a knee. his real mom doesn't.

nike stocks dropping.

he sued the NFL cause he wanted to prove they keep him from playing because of the disruption from taking a knee.

people burning nike shoes and apparel.

and one link just for flavor. https://www.vox.com/2018/9/4/1781814...ott-kaepernick
    Last edited by invegauser; 09-09-2018 at 07:56.

2. Collapse Details

I just ordered a new pair of Nikes. I like the video ad! I'm not an American so could care less about standing for the national anthem.

3. Collapse Details

Shadowmeister
    Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    I'm an American, and neither do I... to me it was a good example of peaceful protest for a real issue happening.

4. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Sober Living
    Words
    My hopes are blighted, my heart is broken, my life a burden, everything around me is sad and mournful; earth has become distasteful to me, and human voices distract me. It is mercy to let me die, for if I live I shall lose my reason and become mad.
    I think the 3 sat down and decided on a great and easy way for everyone to get richer.

Even if they didn’t it doesn’t matter. I like the ad. Obviously going to make Nike $$$ (stock price appears to be close to a 5+ year high)

5. Collapse Details

Current Events and Politics
    Nike sales are up, but I don't know if anyone has compared that to last years' sales at this time (wouldn't the start of the school year be a reason for sales to increase? Or would that happen beforehand?)

6. Collapse Details

Despite Initial Blowback for Its Controversial Kaepernick Ad, Nike's Sales and Stock Increase

Nike reportedly saw a fairly major sales boost over the Labor Day holiday last week?and chances are, it has Colin Kaepernick to thank.

Edison Trends, a digital commerce research firm, reported that Nike?s sales went up 31 percent from Sunday, September 2, to Tuesday, September 4. Labor Day, of course, fell on Monday, September 3, and was the day the company released the now-famous ad featuring NFL player-turned-activist Colin Kaepernick, the NFL player who rose to international prominence for his protests of police brutality during the national anthem on the field.

Labor Day is a major day on the retail calendar, typically seeing an influx of fresh fall-ready items hitting the shelves and new markdowns on summer pieces that stores are trying to get rid of. However, for Nike, this year?s sales increase over the holiday was substantially bigger than last year?s: 31 percent compared to last year?s 17 percent. That bump, Edison Trends reports, continued into Tuesday, and even on Wednesday, they were at a higher point than they were at the same time last year. Nike declined to confirm this, with a spokesperson for the company stating that they do not comment on sales numbers.

These numbers may be surprising considering the fact that Nike?s decision to use Colin Kaepernick in its advertising?and even more meaningfully, show an outright display of support for the athlete?was not universally praised. In the immediate aftermath of Nike?s release of the Kaepernick ad, several social media users called for a boycott of the brand, with a few going as far as cutting the Nike logos off their socks or burning their Nike sneakers.

However, it seems that these protests, though flashy, didn?t gain much traction in terms of an immediate brand impact. ?From our initial findings, it seems to be a risk that has paid off,? Hetal Pandya, co-founder of Edison Trends, said. ?So the initial speculation that the Nike/Kaepernick campaign would lead to a drop in sales seems to be unfounded.?

In fact, Anthony Cospito, head of strategy at Moving Image & Content, said that these protests may have even propelled people to buy Nike products to counter the backlash.

?The boycotts absolutely had an impact, but in an opposite manner than intended,? he said. ?Though social media was strewn with imagery of burned, ripped and ruined Nike products for a short while, the boycott came across more as an act of petulant children than a cohesive commercial backlash. If anything, the ?boycotts? strengthened the resolve of customers and Nike?s core messaging.?
    (source: adweek, my emphasis)

alasdair

7. Collapse Details

^ there's been a lot of talk that people supported nike by buying more of their product due to some people burning apparel.

the stocks dipped %3 for one day due to kaepernick being in the ad.
    Last edited by invegauser; 11-09-2018 at 09:35.

8. Collapse Details

Current Events & Politics

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    I'm an American, and neither do I... to me it was a good example of peaceful protest for a real issue happening.
    Same. I think a lot of people miss the point on this one (or selectively claim to miss the point in many of those cases).

It's not unamerican to peacefully protest the establishment. If anything I'd argue it's the opposite. Blindly supporting the state or supporting it out of fear of reprisal is for the commies .

An analogy I'd use, kids can disrespect and say they hate their parents in protest of some grievance, but that doesn't mean they don't love their parents. It means they're angry about something and want something done about it.

I get that some people object to the specific way they're protesting, and many more selectively claim they do. But the whole point of a protest is to be noticed. To draw attention to a problem you have with the established order of things. Way I see it, however you gotta do that, so long as it doesn't put people in physical danger, is absolutely fine.

Not all countries throughout history will let you get away with appearing to disrespect the state. I love America because of the values I feel she represents. Values like the freedom to disrespect the state, out of protest or just for sheer comedy. The freedom to say whatever opinion you like in any public forum you want without fear of the reprisal of society, the state, or antidiscrimination laws coming and attacking you, your freedom, or your economic position. Thats what matters. If someone hates on the US, I'll defend her for those reasons, and agree where I feel the state has acted wrongly. Blind support is un-American.

9. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^Really well put Jess, I completely agree.

10. Collapse Details

so if i take a knee during the national anthem in support of trolls being unfairly treated and my fellow players do the same, that's a good thing?

11. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    ^It's a thing I really don't give a fuck about, because it doesn't really matter.

12. Collapse Details

your right. this ones on me. thank you and i'm sorry if i disrupted the thread.

13. Collapse Details

Psychedelic Drugs
    Cannabis Discussion
    Film & Television
    You're not being disruptive. I'm simply expressing that I don't care who takes a knee, when or where. It doesn't effect my life. It doesn't effect yours either. Nor does it effect any of the people who burned their Nikes. People act like 'libtards' are the 'snowflakes' and then they cry because Nike supports the rights of a famous athlete to protest injustice?

14. Collapse Details

^ yep. ironies abound

alasdair