Bluelight

Thread: Some broken links in the PD Archive/Welcome thread

Reply To Thread
  1. Collapse Details
    Some broken links in the PD Archive/Welcome thread 
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...-Beginners-FAQ

Hello, all links in this thread/guide point to the old .ru domain name. The main one being the "Beginner's Guide" which should link here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/...-Beginners-FAQ

Instead of: http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/5...-Beginners-FAQ

But all the rest of the links point to the old domain too. Just giving y'all the heads up.

2. Collapse Details

Also, all links within that FAQ point to the old domain name as well. Maybe I should have sent this to a mod via PM first but I'm in a bit of a hurry so I'll have to do that later today. I needed to link someone to that page but it isn't much use to them without working links so I'll hold off for now. Thanks in advance.

3. Collapse Details

Thank you for the heads up. Links should all be updated now. If I missed one please feel free to report it.

Again, thank you .

4. Collapse Details

Hey man, thanks for taking care of this.

5. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    I also went through the PD Index and fixed all the links and updated some stuff/added links to newer B&D threads, etc. This was during the prune.

6. Collapse Details

^ Theres really old links in the archived sections, are unfixed links going to be even more broken after the move?

I dunno any techy lingo m8 but you know stuff like this so hopefully u can look in the other areas too plz

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Psychedelic Drugs
    Trip Reports
    Philosophy and Spirituality
    The Dark Side
    It may be possible for an admin to write some code to hit the database and change any old .ru links to .org. Not sure but I think maybe so. That would be the easiest way... other than reporting any posts you see with old, broken links.

8. Collapse Details

Professor Emeritus TheLoveBandit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmeister View Post
    It may be possible for an admin to write some code to hit the database and change any old .ru links to .org. Not sure but I think maybe so. That would be the easiest way... other than reporting any posts you see with old, broken links.
    It was looked at when we went through the change (not menopause). From a vBulletin perspective, not possible. The alternative was to write SQL code to go into the database and mass replace ALL instances. This fell short for two reasons. First, there was concern over legit 'ru' urls or references being swapped out (legit? wtf? ok...I'll admit that's a stretch as the only instance I can imagine is if we were talking BL history and specifically referenced who we were at the time). Second, who has server access, the SQL skills to do this, and the time to ensure it goes off without a hitch? Um, yeah, big fail there. So a mass replace wasn't done.

Fast-Forward to today, and we've manually gone in and edited all the forum guidelines and any references we could find within reach. Manual, but effective on the important stuff that hadn't been addressed in years Though, as you note, regular thread with links, especially in forum archives, remain untouched and .ru'd for now.

Looking ahead, I believe our next software has this mass replace capability (I can't say 100% certain, but I'm 95ish% certain ). AFTER we upgrade, we can explore if it has this functionality, how well can we focus it, and let 'er rip....we hope.

Reply To Thread