• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

rehab- how to choose

Way to go, chinup! 30 days is a big deal, whether it's done at home, in jail, hospital, or rehab. Give yourself a pat on the back.

And I promise you it gets better. I'm only about 5 months clean&sober and I feel much better than I did at 30 days.

Also, cj is correct. What you do after rehab is way more crucial than the rehab itself. Not that rehab isn't important-- you gotta crawl before you can walk.

Best wishes to you.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"All important decisions must be made on the basis of insufficient data." -- Sheldon Kopp

Finally had the chance to read through, keep going Chinup. As I've said before, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing.

That G&T still awaits!

Hey Dr. Chinup!

Good job! I'm glad you're feeling well. You're putting in the work. It's well worth it.

I have to echo CJ. Aftercare is crucial. You've spent alot of time using - doing something different than what you're accustomed to makes all the difference.

Emotions, boredom, anxiety, etc. are part of our normal, everyday life. Those things can seem overwhelming in early recovery. Having a plan in place for when these things occur can be the difference between relapsing or not. They are definitely going to happen, so prepare yourself.

I wish you the best chinup! :) <3

I was told there were no markers for PTSD.

that truly is amazing given what you've been through, i'm sorry you had that experience but glad you've made progress with it through therapy.

I'm glad things are going well. What are your plans for after treatment? Sober living? Outpatient?

i'm not going back to my old house. if its not too awful i'll stay with my parents, and i have back up plans if that fails, possibly sober living. my rehab has aftercare once a week, so i'll do that, and plan to get a local therapist, at least once a week, plus 12 step meetings, i'll try the 90 in 90, staying fit, eating healthy. then when i'm able to work and live independently i'm gonna stay close to my parents for at least a few years.

Way to go, chinup! 30 days is a big deal, whether it's done at home, in jail, hospital, or rehab. Give yourself a pat on the back.

And I promise you it gets better. I'm only about 5 months clean&sober and I feel much better than I did at 30 days.

thanks!!! and well done you!! its good to know it gets better too.

As I've said before, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worth doing.

that's basically my motto 'nothing worth doing is ever easy.' it has got much easier, thankfully. i know the real challenge still awaits when i leave, but i feel like i' should be able to do it. i'm glad i've taken extra time though. the therapy i've been doing is going to the fundamentals of why i use. and is remarkable- but i started another thread for that....

You're putting in the work. It's well worth it.

it really is, and i'm starting to feel like it is too.

i feel absolutely elated right now. i didn't think in my therapy i'd have time to get to the really awful stuff, but today i made amazing progress, and now i feel like it will. so i'll leave with much much smaller demons than when i arrived.

i'm getting my 30 day keyring today, and cos i'll still be in rehab, i'll get my 60 day one, and i hope that then i'll have enough inertia to keep going by my own steam.

i was so worried i wasn't ready for this. but i think i was. i feel like i'm in recovery. but not in a complacent way cos i keep getting pulled up on my bullshit and there's loads of it.

Congratulations on your 30 day key tag! Those things mean so much.

I'm thrilled (chuffed lol) for you. I felt the same way as you while in rehab. It really was one of the happiest times of my life.

My group was small too. I became close to everyone. A few weeks ago, I found out the person I was closest too passed away. I'm devastated.

I call my rehab now and then to say hello to my counselor. I expressed to her that I was worried about my friend because I hadn't heard from him and when I called his phone, it was turned off. We don't know the cause of his death. But, I'm deeply saddened about it. Sorry for bringing that up! It's the first time I've talked about it.

I'm very happy for you chinup. I hope your journey of self-discovery gets better and better! Well done. :)

^ thank you!! i'm so sorry to hear your loss, i really want all the guys i've been with to go on and live the lives they deserve, cos i guess we get to see the potential in people not their bad habits. i can;t imagine how it'd feel to lose one.

well done for sharing it, i guess it feels less real when its text on a screen but you still did it and that still makes it more real than it floating in your head, and that push towards acceptance must be hard.

i'm in the secondary care facility now, which is a lot like primary till i'm actually ready to have some freedom.

i've got my first night out, back at my parents tomorrow and i'm shitting it. i use on my parents to a massive extent, and i've got a load of benzos and antipsychotics and i wish wish wish i'd thrown them away before i came in. i don't even want to use them. but the thought of throwing them away is difficult. i've always had a least 50 decently dosed pills on my person for the last 12 years. rarely taken for the last 5. but i need them. they're my security blanket.

i didn't even really think i had a problem with benzos, but i'm a textbook addict, i can't cope with any drug. how will i ever feel ready to give them up?