• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Can I ask a legal question about how easily cops can get search warrants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mycophile

Bluelighter
Mods: If I'm not allowed to ask this question then please let me know.

Obviously I'm not the only person concerned that Kratom could become illegal, but what I'm wondering is how easily cops can get search warrants to search random people's houses just because they either heard someone say, or even found a paper trail online, that someone purchased a certain drug WHILE it was legal.

I've never been able to get an answer regarding this.

I'm really thinking that in the U.S. police really need strong probable cause to obtain a search warrant to enter someone's house right?

Like, can a cop just get a tip that MAYBE someone has drugs or illegal items in their house and then suddenly obtain a search warrant to break in and arrest someone?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I walked up to a cop and said "hey, I've got 10 pounds of heroin in my house! have a nice day" (which I DON'T lol), he can't just basically arrest me, quickly grab a search warrant and raid my house right?

That goes against too many privacy laws right?

Like, if or when Kratom becomes illegal, do you guys think police will be retroactively going back and finding the paper trails online or searching/hacking cell phones for large Kratom orders from random strangers with no arrest records, then somehow using them to obtain search warrants and just show up at people's houses, let themselves in and raid the place because they were on a Kratom vendors list and arrest them??

That's really not something police can do in the United States can they?

Like if you drive intoxicated and have a car full of Kratom once it's illegal, that's a different story, but am I correct in thinking that those of us who purchased Kratom while it was legal don't have much to worry about in terms of police going through the lists of Kratom vendors for customers' names and addresses, then just easily getting search warrants and basically kicking doors down and arresting people?

They would need REAL solid proof someone was actually dealing the Kratom to do that right?

Legal advice questions are discouraged here. However, I'll let you know my own unabashedly amateur opinion. If you told a cop "I have X amount of illegal drugs" that would most likely be probable cause. That's a first-person source of information and they'd be amiss not to follow up after that. Taking an anonymous tip of "Hey Mr. Officer, so-and-so has X amount of illegal drugs" would be a third-person source of information, liable to be rumor derived from some mal-intent. I don't think the police have enough time or incentive to go through citizens' past online receipts without cause, either.

This thread should probably be closed but if another mod or admin deems it worthy of discussion, so be it. I'm going to close it for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.