• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

How long does Alcohol Effect Muscle Protein Synthesis Ability after Drinking it?

Thomas29

Bluelighter
I Am having A difficult time finding something stating specifically how long the Muscle Protein Synthesis that Alcohol Interferes with And among other things Like reducing HGH And Testosterone takes to return to normal.

I came across something that said it can last 1 Week after Drinking Alcohol I was hoping someone here might know more about how long after drinking say Like 2 Glasses of Wine before the full ability of muscle protein synthesis is back to normal?

Hey mate, happy to leave this topic here, but I think you might get more useful responses in the Neuroscience/Pharmacology section. Let me know if you want me to move it.

Moved at OPs request

I would doubt somewhat that protein synthesis is still going to be impaired 1 week after drinking 2 glasses of wine. The effects are probably cumulative to some extent, so the more often you drink, and the more you drink per session, the slower it will take your hormones and such to properly recover. However I would suspect that for an isolated incident in which you have a few drinks the acute protein-synthesis inhibition will only last as long as it takes for the alcohol to clear from your system, and the secondary effects on hormones would be negligible.

I know this is a somewhat unscientific and vague answer, I would also be interested if someone more knowledgeable had some numbers. In the meantime though you might find this of interest (specifically the graphic about halfway down the page): https://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/does-alcohol-limit-muscle-growth

Well I know it would probably Not last A week, But r u positive that Like 2 Beers Or 2 Glasses of Wine would only interfere with Protein Synthesis when the Alcohol is not yet Cleared from the body And when the body does Clear out all the Alcohol in A mere Few Hours.

You would probably get your best answer from either Genetic Freak or CFC in Performance Enhancing Drugs section.

But in my opinion it would be the amount of time the ethyl glucuronide is still in your system. Not that it will be that drastic overall anyway unless you binge daily. But I would say 3-4 days to return to mostly normal. It can increase hormones like SHBG, prolactin, and estradiol for longer periods of time depending on ones genetics but I don't know specific times. Hence why many men can develop gynecomastia if they are alcoholics.

I try to stick to 1MG Daily do you mean taking A break from them completely since I can't do that I would go into Withdrawal Or just A Higher Dose then usual And would these Effects of Higher Estradiol Levels etc. be exhibited at only 1MG Clonazepam Daily? Thank You for the Reply I Am going to get My Estradiol Levels Tested And I don't know what prolactin is Or SHBG is But I will Google it. But I do take VERY LARGE Doses And frequently unless it is nitrazepam But I have been using Xanax a lot lately which has A short time of active Effects.

If someone could contact genetic freak about my post for Me that would much appreciated.

I Am having A difficult time finding something stating specifically how long the Muscle Protein Synthesis that Alcohol Interferes with And among other things Like reducing HGH And Testosterone takes to return to normal.

I came across something that said it can last 1 Week after Drinking Alcohol I was hoping someone here might know more about how long after drinking say Like 2 Glasses of Wine before the full ability of muscle protein synthesis is back to normal?

Yeah as said above, I'd have noticed this sooner had it been posted in PED ;)

It's a little more complex than just MPS, but I'll start there:

So muscle cells happily suck up amino acids post-training, even in the presence of alcohol. But evidence suggests anabolic signalling molecules like mTOR and p70S6K are suppressed initially, probably for at least 2-3 hours (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24533082). However, the body attempts to compensate for this and MPS tends to increase after the alcohol and acetaldehyde are out of the system, whereas it declines in those who haven't been drinking. There isn't any real research on the net long-term impact this has - though quite evidently it hampers recovery in the short term, the compensation appears to be sub-optimal, and if you continue to drink then we can assume you'll never match the recovery of non-alcoholic athletes.

Alcohol also destroys receptors that testosterone can attach itself to, though we don't know how long for nor whether acute intake really mimics the same effect (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16286851). In response, the body again attempts to compensate by increasing testosterone levels, which sounds good but it really isn't since receptor loss is more critical (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23470309)

Alcohol also impairs your ability to recruit the nerves that are used to contract muscles for at least 3 days post-consumption (https://www.jsams.org/article/S1440-2440(09)00003-6/fulltext). Obviously if you're unable to recruit as many muscle cells, that will have knock on effects in terms of your long-term progress. The researchers also suspect that alcohol harms the nerves that stimulate the muscles to grow after a training session, and that alcohol inhibits the production of cytokines, which the immune system uses to clear up and restore damaged muscle tissue after physical exercise.

There's also some speculation on the molecular level that alcohol inhibits the attachment of energy-providing phosphorus groups to anabolic signalling molecules in muscle cells. In rats we see increased translational repressor protein activity, which tends to bind various growth initiation factors (that would normally activate post-training) and so represses MPS that way (https://www.physiology.org/doi/abs/10.1152/ajpendo.1999.277.2.e268). In terms of timescale, there's no data, but though some recovery would be expected, as seen in global MPS data 2-3 hours post-alcohol, this data is relevant because it suggests different muscle fibres are affected more than others (eg fast twitch vs slow twitch), which may result in an uneven poor recovery and long-term impairment.

FWIW if you must drink alcohol post-training, I suggest red wine would be the better choice. Not because of the alcohol but because it has a few other factors that appear to increase testosterone levels a little bit (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22958586). You'd get more benefit from non-alcoholic red wine though :)

Who should I ask about the Effects of using My Daily Prescription for Benzodiazepines And occasional Non-Prescribed Large Doses of various different kinds of Benzos.

I try to only use 1MG of Clonazepam Daily which I Am Prescribed that plus 10MG Nitrazepam which I just save up And use A very large Dose of either one, Or Xanax as of recently.

I do know Benzodiazepines are not as harsh PHYSICALLY but even Prescribved Doses cause Brain Shrinkage similar to what Alcohol causes And I Read continuous use can Lower Growth Hormone which I made A Post asking if anyone knows about the Effect Benzos have on Growth Hormone production.

Long term benzodiazepine use is generally more mentally harmful than physically harmful. For sure ethanol is much more destructive.

I used to be a meathead and would drink diet coke while my friends would drink beer. My understanding is that it inhibits IGF-1 as well as interferes with fat burning. How long does this last, maybe one day? But this is just conjecture.

My body is weird and what actually hurt my body more is ciggarettes. It would actually cause catabolism. I could not find any example of this anywhere. I'm an ex smoker now but occasionally vape and I find this is not harmful to my muscles, though I'm sure it is in other ways. It must be the chemicals in the cigs and not the nicotine. I would smoke half a pack of cigarettes at night and during the next two days my clothing would be way looser. I could never find any example of someone who shared this experience. Maybe it stimulates cortisol in me?

Who should I ask about the Effects of using My Daily Prescription for Benzodiazepines And occasional Non-Prescribed Large Doses of various different kinds of Benzos.

I try to only use 1MG of Clonazepam Daily which I Am Prescribed that plus 10MG Nitrazepam which I just save up And use A very large Dose of either one, Or Xanax as of recently.

I do know Benzodiazepines are not as harsh PHYSICALLY but even Prescribved Doses cause Brain Shrinkage similar to what Alcohol causes And I Read continuous use can Lower Growth Hormone which I made A Post asking if anyone knows about the Effect Benzos have on Growth Hormone production.

I've been on klonopin for about 6 years now and haven't noticed any difference in terms of muscle gain but I also don't take it around my workouts.

As for mental health I am unsure but it can't be 1/10th as harmful as alcohol imo. IF keeping the dose responsible. I rarely exceed 1mg a day.

I used to be a meathead and would drink diet coke while my friends would drink beer. My understanding is that it inhibits IGF-1 as well as interferes with fat burning. How long does this last, maybe one day? But this is just conjecture.

My body is weird and what actually hurt my body more is ciggarettes. It would actually cause catabolism. I could not find any example of this anywhere. I'm an ex smoker now but occasionally vape and I find this is not harmful to my muscles, though I'm sure it is in other ways. It must be the chemicals in the cigs and not the nicotine. I would smoke half a pack of cigarettes at night and during the next two days my clothing would be way looser. I could never find any example of someone who shared this experience. Maybe it stimulates cortisol in me?

Nicotine is a stimulant and can make you lose water similar to caffeine.

Yes but the mass would not bounce back until after a few workouts. Solid diet and exercise and hydration had no effect, and my strength was way down. I've had other trainers take measurerments and they would say "oh my you have lost 1/2" on your bicep or an inch on your chest.

There are a few recent studies that show cigarette smoke has a direct negative impact on skeletal musculature, independent of the secondary effects caused by impaired lung function:

Smoking-induced skeletal muscle dysfunction: from evidence to mechanisms.
Cigarette smoke directly impairs skeletal muscle function through capillary regression and altered myofibre calcium kinetics in mice
Cigarette smoke directly damages muscles in the body (this is actually just an article referencing the paper above, but has a nice graphic)

So this is not too surprising. The fact that it was so obviously noticeable for you maybe is - perhaps this could be some genetic quirk that just makes you unusually susceptible to these effects.