• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

2 months clean from opiates (still feel like crap)

GetMeOutOfThisCRAP

Bluelighter
Don't get me wrong, I feel much better than the first two weeks obviously. However, the mental aspect is still quite bad as I am repeatedly hit by waves of depression/anxiety and inability to enjoy most things. Habit-1.5 year of oxy/percocet on and off (mostly on) mainly 20-40 mgs daily.

Is it normal to still feel this way? All physical symptoms pretty much gone by now. I must say since I have a dark sense of humor, it is almost a bit funny how awful you feel during opiate withdrawal. I wanted to escape the game because my tolerance was just going up and up and it felt like a dead end drug/I was becoming a total hermit.

I feel like you should be back to normal by now but everyone is different. Keep plugging along. Trust me when I say it WILL be better.

The first few months can be tough. Actually the first year can be tough. But it isn't the end of the world, the world just looks a little different post-opioid use (for obvious reasons). Give you brain time to heal and things will be able to see more beauty all around you than you imagined.

It does get better. Shit still happens, but if you can work on making your way thought this particular shit you'll have such a higher tolerance for other crap life throws at you.

Recovery from opioid use disorder doesn't make a better foundation for the "better faster stronger" stuff than many other life experiences. Keep going, just try not to rush. You'll get where you want to get even if you it's impossible to imagine what that could be right now <3

Just try to imagine the vast possibility of reaching for your potential. Because that'll be better than you know. And it's where you'll get if you can just find the strength to do what works for you and keeeeeep going, through good times and bad :)

Ty toothpastedog, it may just be that I'm not used to life without opiates and become depressed or anxious because the changes are so abrupt. I have a buddy that quit oxy/heroin and had withdrawal symptoms lingering around for 3 months completely and still does have some minor side effects due to the withdrawal--and he used for roughly about the exact time frame as me.

It's different for everyone, that which goes for using drugs also goes for getting sober.

The toughest part about recovery seems like expectations sometimes. It's impossible to know where recovery will take us. Finding a securer, healthier base of self-confidence to have faith in one's efforts of recovery is so crucial.

What are you planning to do to support yourself this week? Could be recovery explicit stuff, but it could also be life explicit stuff too - like real life stuff (sleeping, eating, shitting and pissing, etc). What did Mother Theresa say again?

“Not all of us can do great things. But we can do small things with great love.”
Some Nun!

Yes, that also applies to everything from wiping the bum to simply pausing to notice how your tummy's feeling.

Try getting into some hobbies/activities. I find restlessness and boredom my biggest triggers for opioid use, and my biggest triggers for relapse. The world without opioids seems dull and painful to me...but it does get better. Just try to keep busy. Planning a nice trip always gives me something to look forward to when dealing with the post-ope blues. I imagine your finances are in a better place after quitting...(well depending on if you were getting off the street or not)

hey. I would answer these questions to yourself honestly:

have I been somewhat depressed/anxious before ever having taken my drug of choice?

quite a few people, me included, had bouts of depression and anxiety way before they started getting addicted. that's why I got addicted in the first place. I had to and still have to change aspects of my life to feel good without drugs. so for example I have to regularly do sport in some form or another to keep my anxiety at bay, sleep well, feel good. eat quite healthily. Also stuff like meditation, doing things you generally like, creating things when you are down, taking meds maybe, seeking a psychologist are things you may take into consideration once you are drug free and want to stay that way.