• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

September Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. Autumn Ho!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
The summer has officially ended and fall is about to begin, it's got me thinking about how life is full of change. Ups and downs, terrors and beauties, joys and sorrows, can't have one without the other. What's about to change for you this fall, besides the leaves?

After all, life - let alone every moment of every day - is full of transitions. Transitions can be tough, be they also are what makes life worth living. There's always something new to be celebrated.

How're you planning on transitioning to what's around the corner this fall, whatever that means for you?

What do you have going on to support yourself, to help support your success as time passes by, as people, places and things continue to change - and as you continue to grow into your ever evolving process of recovery?

This thread is for anyone interested in reducing harm and improving their quality of life this month.

Quitting drugs? Cutting back? Getting healthy? Wanting to improve your Life? Fun plans for the summer? How will you keep from going crazy with all your free time (or lack there of)?!

Remember - it could always be worse <3

And MAYBE, just maybe, a little more crazy entertainment is just what we need for this fall ;)

Write it all down!

:) %) :| %) :D %) :( %) :eek: %)

The August thread is archived here.

Thanks, toothpastedog, for starting this thread. Great opening!

98 days clean&sober (except for a little weed) and I'm feeling pretty damn good. My only real problem is too much free time. I'm working part-time and don't have much of a social life. Been searching the job ads but haven't found anything yet that grabs me. I may look into doing some volunteer work. A lot of people have helped me through recovery; maybe it's time for me to start giving back. I'm a bit hampered by no car & no license but I'm nothing if not a survivor so something will work out. I am talking to some interesting folks at AA/NA meetings. And I can always count on my dog, Dixie Chick. She's a rescue pit bull (and a sweetheart!) who has seen me through some tough times. I think we rescued each other.

Hope everyone is well and happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"You can get the monkey off your back, but the circus never leaves town." -- Anne Lamott

September is National Recovery month! So this month is about recovery. Virtually anything, not just with drugs and alcohol.
I have been doing good, just taking things slow in my life. Not about rushing things where I am at. I've tried to get it all back overnight and usually would lose it all before the season is over. So nice and slow ATM. work has been keeping me busy, figure I stick around and keep working at the ole 'jank (I call it). They are adding on a new building sometime in December/January and excited to see how its going to turn out. They have beds reserved for the Veterans and really means a lot for the community that there is a place for those guys.

It's never really a dull moment at my job. I mean, yeah I work 3rd shift, and during the hours of 12am-8am, shits popping. Not really (most of the time) with the guys in the upper-stages of the program, but really in detox, and the overnight programs. Pretty much stuff goes down lol.
Just really grateful that I am in a position to help those folks, really means more to me than the money I make.

September is National Recovery month! So this month is about recovery. Virtually anything, not just with drugs and alcohol.
I have been doing good, just taking things slow in my life. Not about rushing things where I am at. I've tried to get it all back overnight and usually would lose it all before the season is over. So nice and slow ATM. work has been keeping me busy, figure I stick around and keep working at the ole 'jank (I call it). They are adding on a new building sometime in December/January and excited to see how its going to turn out. They have beds reserved for the Veterans and really means a lot for the community that there is a place for those guys.

It's never really a dull moment at my job. I mean, yeah I work 3rd shift, and during the hours of 12am-8am, shits popping. Not really (most of the time) with the guys in the upper-stages of the program, but really in detox, and the overnight programs. Pretty much stuff goes down lol.
Just really grateful that I am in a position to help those folks, really means more to me than the money I make.

Nice Ds! Doesn't sound like things could be better atm :)

Question (everyone):

Do we want to do anything for Nat'l Recovery month in SL?

Who knows, it might turn out to become good publicity, helping to bring greater awareness of the potential of harm reduction and recovery to the folks suffering out there <3

Sounds like it'd be nice.

In 3 days I hit my year... went riding around the backwoods of Missouri today, as in no phone service, few houses, and nothing but hills... first time I've done it sober since I was a kid.

Sounds like it'd be nice.

In 3 days I hit my year... went riding around the backwoods of Missouri today, as in no phone service, few houses, and nothing but hills... first time I've done it sober since I was a kid.

oh that's fun man, I love camping and hiking and shit like that. I hope you have a good time.

It was nice, great way to think about life. Helping me square away some thoughts and memories... mentally I'm ready to move on to somewhere else, sort of a last hurrah.

oh you already did it?

man I've been busy lol :| sorry for the late reply

I feel you on that. Every day I try to square away thoughts and memories. A lot more keeps coming up now. the flood gates are opening

Yeah I've got a few I'm sure I'll never truly square away, but they're manageable for the foreseeable future... the others were wearing on me, and I'm glad I made myself work through them.

Congratulations to everyone on SL for kicking butt with your sobriety . Lots of serious people facing addiction head on here .
Aihfl, TPD and other mods , thank you for your support. Y'alls knowledge is priceless for people like me new to detoxing.
Fall is my favorite time of year its so refreshing just seeing nature changing ( leaves falling, deer starting rut , harvest season , fowl migration ). I've been stuck for the last couple of months in a rut ,but since harvest season beginning I'm finally coming out of it . I'm lucky I have a profession I love doing and doesn't feel like a chore . Everyone keep up the hard fight .

Your friend, hik

If anyone is interested in learning more about triggers and how to get the better of them, Trauma Sensitive Mindfulness is a great read. If you can get beyond the mindfulness stuff, or if you don't mind reading about it, the book details the dynamics of mood regulation and triggers in straight forward, user friendly ways.

Plus, the experience of addiction is nothing if not a quintessential form form of systemic trauma.

Yeah, I love Fall too. I'm about over these 90+ degree days.

I like the idea of doing something with September as Recovery Month. What shall it be?

Peace&Love,
jasper

"I've never had problems with drugs. I've had problems with the police." -- Keith Richards

Love fall. Always feels like a time for change and growth....when it actually becomes fall in GA...which won't be till November :/

Goal is to make Sept. dope free. Almost did it in August (fucked up once) but I'm gonna do it this month, I feels it!

Goal is to make Sept. dope free. Almost did it in August (fucked up once) but I'm gonna do it this month, I feels it!

If you only had a one-time or one-day lapse in all of August, that's still amazing progress. :)

Yeah I've got a few I'm sure I'll never truly square away, but they're manageable for the foreseeable future... the others were wearing on me, and I'm glad I made myself work through them.

I'll never forget when I thought I was going to die and my whole life flashed before my eyes amidst a panic attack. I don't think about it too much, though. I'm sure it has an every day effect on me though.

It's strange... I've only ever had the life flash before your eyes thing once, have had several near-death experiences though... I almost drowned, and my life was flashing before my eyes, and then I was at peace... then I'm being pulled to the shore by a buddy, I'd basically fallen out while walking down a pier, couldn't really do much to save myself.

Yeah, I love Fall too. I'm about over these 90+ degree days.

I like the idea of doing something with September as Recovery Month. What shall it be?

Peace&Love,
jasper

"I've never had problems with drugs. I've had problems with the police." -- Keith Richards

I like the idea of celebrating the many paths to recovery. Any takers?

I have a fun idea for a project we can work on to demonstrate this, but I want to make sure y'all are onboard with the theme first :)

It's strange... I've only ever had the life flash before your eyes thing once, have had several near-death experiences though... I almost drowned, and my life was flashing before my eyes, and then I was at peace... then I'm being pulled to the shore by a buddy, I'd basically fallen out while walking down a pier, couldn't really do much to save myself.

Fallen out like your dose of heroin hit and you nodded out and just fell over? Sorry if I'm prying, just trying to understand what you mean by "fell out". Lots of people have definitions for this use of words.

I've never had the life flash before my eyes happen since then, but I don't think I've had an NDE so intense since.

Ugh. Overdosing on cocaine sounds like one of the worst ways to go..seems...incredibly uncomfortable..

Status
Not open for further replies.