Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

U.S. - Inside The Trump Administration's Secret War On Weed

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Inside The Trump Administration's Secret War On Weed
Dominic Holden
BuzzFeed News
August 29th, 2018

WASHINGTON -- The White House has secretly amassed a committee of federal agencies from across the government to combat public support for marijuana and cast state legalization measures in a negative light, while attempting to portray the drug as a national threat, according to interviews with agency staff and documents obtained by BuzzFeed News.

The Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee, as it's named in White House memos and emails, instructed 14 federal agencies and the Drug Enforcement Administration this month to submit "data demonstrating the most significant negative trends" about marijuana and the "threats" it poses to the country.

In an ironic twist, the committee complained in one memo that the narrative around marijuana is unfairly biased in favor of the drug. But rather than seek objective information, the committee's records show it is asking officials only to portray marijuana in a negative light, regardless of what the data show.

"The prevailing marijuana narrative in the U.S. is partial, one-sided, and inaccurate," says a summary of a July 27 meeting of the White House and nine departments. In a follow-up memo, which provided guidance for responses from federal agencies, White House officials told department officials, "Departments should provide ? the most significant data demonstrating negative trends, with a statement describing the implications of such trends."

As several states have approved laws allowing adults to use and purchase cannabis, critics have contended lax attitudes will promote drug abuse, particularly among youth, and they have pressed for a federal crackdown. The White House at one point said more pot enforcement would be forthcoming, though President Donald Trump has never said he was onboard with that agenda and he announced in June that he "really" supports new bipartisan legislation in Congress that would let state marijuana legalization thrive.

Read the full story here.

I wonder what the alt-right reaction to this will be. Fake news?

Lol

That ship has sailed, boys. It's not even a partisan issue anymore, even the reactionary sections of the American public support legalized marijuana (medicinal and/or recreational). You lost the war against this plant and your arguments against are confined to the dustbin of history. Deal with it :)

I think *this* might be fake news? Trump has gone out of his way to keep marijuana off the headlines and basically let states' rights rule on this issue :?

I think *this* might be fake news? Trump has gone out of his way to keep marijuana off the headlines and basically let states' rights rule on this issue :?

The story doesn't claim that Trump is behind this, just other actors in the White House who would like to convince him to be a marijuana hawk.

I thought trump was letting states decide. Jeff Sessions is the one against legalization for the country. Luckily he'll be gone after mid-terms.

v3k5s0.png

Lol

That ship has sailed, boys. It's not even a partisan issue anymore, even the reactionary sections of the American public support legalized marijuana (medicinal and/or recreational). You lost the war against this plant and your arguments against are confined to the dustbin of history. Deal with it :)

Amen to that - so glad that it's not a partisan issue.

I wouldn't worry with the way things are heading I'm pretty sure Trump will fully legalize weed just to troll Sessions.