• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Manchester

Another manc here.

Got to say though, salford and moss side are both atrocious shitholes. Ancoats is worse though, fuck me, used rigs all over the place, people looking half dead, trying to blag free gear with some bollocks shcpiel when I used to score there (contact is afaik dead now, after fent ripped through him and his contacts, nobody heard from since.

Who the fuck leaves a used rig in a kid's play park FFS.

Freaky - I was at every single event you mention except the biker gigs

stonehenge 84 was me first festii....decent introduction=D

It was cholderton woods (88 and 89) I believe sir:D (we'd walked there on-mass from Bristol...Travellers Aid Trust funded us fuel for a van to carry the tat...bender poles, tarps etc...and a couple ounces of fine Paki Black for our evening chillums<3

Must've seen various versions of Hawkwind dozens of times at the free festi's...private parties at Nik Turner's in Wales etc....yeah our paths have crossed umpteen times i'd imagine

Yes, Cholderton woods - thank you. Bought some shit acid that night, but that was probably a blessing in disguise as I was easily able to pack the tent early the next morning, fire up the bike and get the fuck out of dodge before the riot cunts stormed the place.

'Henge 84 was also my very first festival - 19 and a bit wet behind the ears, but what an introduction!! Hawkwind playing for six hours on a headfull of acid and speed was a fine way to cut my teeth... =D

Mods, can we just get the thread title changed to include "officially the uks third city?...

Like it but know its hype n tripe. Last time I was up was just Christmas time gone... Was having lovely trips, and getting the good thought revelations while at coach station after hours, it's like a plug hole, a sink, geographically, as it's flat surrounded by the hills and reality wise, all life forms and city centre filth are found there.

As you say about the squats place, no go for cops and no trouble. It's cops cause trouble. And theyre not there to protect ordinary bods, they are their to protect property and state interests.

And then there's the reckoning that them bad days are over with guns, I'd wager there's more of it like in brum, its less reported and a bit more hidden underground now. That's how I see it may be, I might be wrong. But anywhere you have glitz and glamour money monwy money the dodgy underground supply system of all that money can buy is never too far away., they jyst employ more street sweepers...
The older bag head heads in brum tell me of the trips up to moss side to do their business.
Interesting how the distribution of heroin changed into the 90 s, pile it high sell it cheap, cut the deals, put em on wheels, and the mobile phone.

i have been to birmingham. and do you know what? i don't feel home when the train rolls in. i know wbirmingham got way way way more bombed so its not birminghams fault that its a shithole today cos it was rebuilt too quickly and carelessly. manchester is beautiful. its personal for me so i can't be unbiased but only cities i've been to that come close would be tbilisi, buenos aires and grenoble.

most english towns/cities are shitholes lets be honest. even norwich, which is gorgeous in the centre. go 10 mins in any direction, including the time you're being stopped and asked for change, and you're in a shithole.

all cities attract all the filth from the surrounding areas.

plus manchester is home to the manchester punk festival. it got belvedere, strike anywhere and paint it black, plus brutal youth and piles of other good bands. i've been listening to melodic hardcore for 16 years, and checking out festival lineups, manchester got the best ever. cos its got fucking soul, the right combination of people to put in the time around full time jobs to put on a line up so good that people travel from australia and japan to see it. and you thought they couldn't beat that line up? well next year they got fuelling propagandhi. i rest my case. i missed propagandhi cos i was scoring coke, shows what a year does.

Spaghetteh Junction is where the nukes were pointing tho, strategeh, its the heart ♥ of England. Why pay London prices up north when you can get better far cheaper everything... Manchester is flat as fuck, you can't ride on top deck of the road buses in manchester like ya can in brum. Seriously. No spring chicken here, I've seen a lot of beauty in my city and I know she's hiding more...

wait a second, your objection to manchester is its flat? well come to norwich check out the lanes and castle, fucking beautiful i tell ya, but flat as fuck. as is grenoble- la capitale des alpes- you ever got to look at the mountain that broke you out the window of the hospital they're treating you in? well grenoble is the flattest city in europe.

i think you need to go to bristol. another city i'd choose any day over birmingham. steepest city in europe.

anyway i should stop being so prejudiced my rehab is near brum. maybe i should pray for nukes.

------

on all other scales apart from flatness/steepness, manchester is the greatest city on earth.

Manchester is a city with a very, very, very sick soul, ask Mark e Smith and morrissey... All cities are sick you gotta use em to yer advantage.

just cos he's a mod doesn't mean he can come and lie about birmingham being better than manchester.

i mean i could be arguing this without even having been to birmingham cos i've had to drive past it on the way to that polluted hellhole, no not cairo or tehran, they got redeeming features, i mean london. but the fact is i'm basing this on having spent an entire weekend in birmingham.

4.60 I can get all over the west Midlands conurbation for the day. Why would I want to go to a flat fucking place like Norwich where they made sale of the century. Chin up, you were nt A bag head and crack head when I first met you...

i was living in Leeds when i got into hard drugs. and we all know that west yorkshire is a crime ridden shithole essentially mae out of drugs.

i had the best and most drug free year of my life ini manchester and got a stupidly hard masters to show for it, and i'm still good friends with my best friends from then.

Steve... With two eeees... You're a mod. Sort it out. Mark e Smith was right.
Cannot qualify any of his comments I only listen to plastic music and am not a student of The Fall or any other classic rock figures

just cos he's a mod doesn't mean he can come and lie about birmingham being better than manchester.

I can but would not - I cannot compare the 2 - while I will always respect and give thanks for what Manchester has achieved on the world stage, I am unfamiliar with the city, only having visited for the purposes of football (Everton away @ Man C or U), dance music (Bowlers, Sankey's Soap and The Warehouse Project) and the Airport, which is actually as easy for me to get to now as Birmingham if I drive up for a dawn flight when the roads are clear.

But while I have alot of civic pride in my home (for all the slagging off it gets, there are worse places with worse people than Wolverhampton) I have always had Birmingham in my heart in terms of major UK cities, as a child it's modernity always blew my mind as continuously progressive, whether it be the opening of the new Airport and Maglev in 1984, the spectacular development of it's 3 football stadiums (Villa Park is just epic now) through to the redevelopment of the centre (from Brindley Place to the new Bullring). Yet once again it comes down to the music and as the city has been home to some of the best nights I have been to in Europe, including my favourite weekly club, bringing its techno from 'the ashes of industry' concept from Detroit to the industrial spaces of Digbeth and for a few years there - the NEC Arena (finally making UK club culture a national exhibition back in 2001).

Personal bias, but if I had grown up in Oldham I would probably feel as passionate about Manchester as a big civic brother.

see, its home, home is where the heart is. or aches.

another pro manchester point though- if you travel to some of the places i've been and say you're from Birmingham, you're gonna have to say 'near Manchester' or 'near London' - you really gonna say London? really? i don't even like football but i love that everywhere i've been, i hear enthusiasm for my city.

i don't know if i'd call the fall 'classic rock', but i do believe mr smith created a lot of very high grade gibberish - some of the finest around IMO

i don't know if i'd call the fall 'classic rock', but i do believe mr smith created a lot of very high grade gibberish - some of the finest around IMO

Exactly. Shows what I know. Anything with instruments and lyrics is out of my league.

Stay away from city centres, they're shit, something like that was what Mark e Smith said. Life is better in the fringes, that's where the ordinary folks are and the decent drink for a decent price. More stability out of the city centres. City centres are very much the same kind of thing all over the place these days. Not much room for sentiment in the centres, especially brum. There's some great buildings, from the art deco stuff to the brutal stuff. Eh, what's the poshest part of Manchester that's closest to the city centre? How many miles is like the leafiest bit of Manchester with big houses and that from the centre of the city. I'm not talking fancy high rise apartment stuff, like established money area.

you can't see the mansions for the trees but this is where i go for NA on Saturdays- its nuts people in very early recovery driving their bmws out. i don't identify with that group tbh, its another world, and they're mostly powdered coke fiends and actually for me its important to be around people who have degraded themselves to a similar level.

or chorton or didsbury- but they're not fancy houses. hale/bowdon is where the millionaires live.

come to think of it, i saw some nice houses in harborne/edgbaston but i'm going out on a limb here and would guess birminghams rich aren't as rich as macnesters rich. ah fuck i just came up with a pro for birmingham. guess footballers don't help.