• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

1st Post - How do I get off of Zubsolv ?

cornholio7

Greenlighter
I have been on Zubsolv for 2 1/2 years and I need to get finished with them and back to normal without any drugs. Whats the best was to terminate my usage without going thru a bad withdrawal ? I am not around any of the opiods I was abusing before so Im confident that once Im off Zubsolv, I'll be fine. What do I do ? taper ? I have access to Tramadol which I've thought about using to reduce the withdrawal symptoms........

I up for any advice at all. I'm 230 lbs to give you an idea about dosage........ Help ! thanks everybody

We can move this to an appropriate forum....give us a bit.

Yeah your weight has nothing to do with your dosage, hun...

How much are you taking? How long have you been taking it? What's the reason you NEED to stop? Are you getting zubsolv on the street or through a dr or through a clinic? If prescribed, have you talked to a doc about it? Do you have support, like NA meetings or a therapist?

More info and we'll be much more helpful :)

Also...welcome :D

You definitely need to taper. Ideally you want a long slow drop down to under 1mg of buprenorphine. The tramadol can be used to soften the blow after that. It's not going to be fun or easy but it's doable.

Talk to your prescribing doctor and see if they will help you with comfort meds and a taper schedule.

looks like I might have posted in the wrong area............ crap

Fixed :)

Yeah your weight has nothing to do with your dosage, hun...

How much are you taking? How long have you been taking it? What's the reason you NEED to stop? Are you getting zubsolv on the street or through a dr or through a clinic? If prescribed, have you talked to a doc about it? Do you have support, like NA meetings or a therapist?

More info and we'll be much more helpful :)

Also...welcome :D

+1

You definitely need to taper. Ideally you want a long slow drop down to under 1mg of buprenorphine. The tramadol can be used to soften the blow after that. It's not going to be fun or easy but it's doable.

Talk to your prescribing doctor and see if they will help you with comfort meds and a taper schedule.

+1

Thanks for everyone's comments - and for moving this to the correct place on the forum !

I WANT to stop - I've been taking it for 2.5 years - and I'm just done. I don't want to rely on a medication to get thru each and every day. I've been under a drs care but I'm done with her too - I don't need her help to taper and it's $100 per visit - cash. I do like the idea of comfort meds BUT its not worth the problems that come with more prescriptions - they show up on my medical record and now my regular doctor is asking about the Zubsolv - he's not the one prescribing it. He's a personal friend and I told him that I wasn't taking it anymore. SO, I have 4+ months of Zubsolv stashed away if I take one a day. Right now, I only require ONE every other day - so that's an 8 month supply to use to taper - ought to be relatively easy, right ?

^it's all good.

Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to taper. And it's very important you get yourself comfort meds organized for the final transition off buprenorphine. Even if your taper goes perfectly, you'll still need comfort meds to have a, well, comfortable transition off.

Everything you can do to invest in making the transition off buprenorphine more manageable will increase your odds of success in recovery <3

Still didn't tell us the mg you're taking hun. We can give you a LOT clearer answers to your questions knowing that.

Like, for instance, if you're on 2mg a day it'll be a much different taper schedule than if you're on, say, 16mg a day.

Also, I hate to break it to you..but as you get older, you will find there will probably be more medications you'll need to eventually take to get through the day (blood pressure meds, stuff like that) because that's the way life fucking goes unfortunately,

ok - well, I take one 5.7 Zubsolv every other day....... that translates to 2.85 per day. I have been taking them every other day and am thinking of going to a 'one half per day' dosage for a while and then start tapering. Before I decided to get off this shit I was taking one (5.7) per day - a lot more than I needed. I stopped taking anything for 6 days to figure out where I was dosage-wise. And that's where I am today: one half a 5.7 Zubsolv per day. I have an 8 month supply at 1/2 per day. So I have plenty of meds for a slow taper. Thanks for everyones comments

Yeah, take it slow. The slower the better...always! Especially because you can! I would maybe take it down a mg a week...and if that's too much, take it down 1/2 mg a week.

I would hold onto the tramadol until the subs are completely done. And don't use it unless you need it. Tramadol is weak, but an ope none the less. I would save it for some sleepless nights or maybe a couple of days when you really need to be on top of your game. Good luck and keep us updated on how you're feeling!

So wait, let me get this straight uhuhhhuhhuhhhuhh you are currently taking 5.7mg every other day and you are considering cutting your dose in half but taking it every day? Increasing the frequency of dosing is a backward way to taper uhhhuhahhuhhuhhhuh. You have already been diverting your dosing. What did your using pre-zubsolv look like? Part of getting on a maintenance (extended detox) is learning how to become compliant with appropriate behaviors. This all sounds pretty dopefiend, minus the dope. I encourage you to actually sit down with a professional and open up about the way you have been using the medication and what your goal is. It may require going to seek out a new professional uhhhuhhhuhuhuhhhuhhhuhhh. Inappropriate use of medication and rat-holing doses kind of flies in the face of harm-reduction and I am somewhat dismayed that no one has really addressed that uhhhuhuhuhhhuhhuhuhhuhhuhuuhhuhh.

--Butthead

A gentle reminder jdfisse, passive aggressive communication is not an effective means of making what is otherwise a VERY fine point.

ok - well, I take one 5.7 Zubsolv every other day....... that translates to 2.85 per day. I have been taking them every other day and am thinking of going to a 'one half per day' dosage for a while and then start tapering. Before I decided to get off this shit I was taking one (5.7) per day - a lot more than I needed. I stopped taking anything for 6 days to figure out where I was dosage-wise. And that's where I am today: one half a 5.7 Zubsolv per day. I have an 8 month supply at 1/2 per day. So I have plenty of meds for a slow taper. Thanks for everyones comments

cornholio, it's can be difficult to taper effectively on your own. Tapers are most skillfully approached as open ended endeavors. The goal is to get off the medication, but the amount of time it will take is entirely unknown. If you have al limited supply and are working on your own, managing it with skill will be that much less effective.

Are you not working with a medical provider any more? You don't absolutely need to continue being prescribed buprenorphine, but trying to rush it alone is setting yourself up for failure.

Please do consider making the effort to at least find someone to help you with comfort medications and ongoing support. Tapering (as a form of recovery) is not something that's easy to do alone.

Just wondering, and forgive me if this is on another thread, I will happily take the correction, but what are some "comfort meds" that can be used for tapering zubsolv? I am currently taking two to three 5.7 mg zubsolv a day and want to taper two under a milligram (sooner then i should I'm sure). My girlfriend is currently tapering and she is taking under a milligram maybe even under 0.5 mg and she has passed the 72-hour mark and seems to be doing surprisingly well for being this early into it. Seeing her do this is obviously making me want to push myself to getting completely off zubsolv. I have been taking some sort of Bupe for over 8 years probably over 10 but I can't be for sure. I have cut my dose down to 1 5.7 mg of zubsolv a day before, actually very recently but fell back into taking more because of work strain and other unrelated things basically just excuses for taking more than I should. I came across this thread looking for information for myself and for my girlfriend and was hoping it was several pages but I do hope the original poster is much better today. I think I'm finally ready to completely get off bupe, I have a great life, a wonderful job, and I have had almost no cravings for several years. I've had opportunities to make the wrong decision, but either mentally getting stronger, or just accepting adulthood. I would gladly post my day to day here and how I'm feeling, etc?I'm sure I'd have to probably start my own thread at that point.
I really think I'm ready. I currently have plenty of medication, and as I ran low last month, I thought how absurd it was, the amount I took. If anyone has any ideas about these Comfort Meds, I would love to try them out. I know about using small amounts of benzos, but I'm unsure of the amounts, times a day, an on.. I may be able to get my hands on some,but i'm not sure. I am pretty scared, as this is one of my biggest fears, withdrawal of course. I'm also very worried I've damaged my receptors beyond repair, but I'm hopeful. Thank you again.

I've been doing a ton of research and made myself a nice list of OTC and Rx comfort meds. I'm seeing Lyrica, clonadine and some sort of benzo quite a bit. I do have a full bottle of Buspirone, and read a study where it eased methadone withdrawal. I'm going to give this all a shot. If anyone is interested, I may do a day to day. Any more help would be awesome. Been all over the mega threads today, so I think I've gathered some pretty good info for my start.