• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Your Favorite Books/Podcasts/Blogs on Addiction

herbavore

Bluelight Crew
I just ordered a book that Mafioso recommended to someone here in TDS that I had not heard of before and that inspired me to start this thread. It would be a really great resource for those of us that love to read our way into solving problems.:)

(Mafioso's recommendation) Staying Sober (Gorski)

My top 2 so far: Chasing the Scream (Johann Hari)

In the realm of Hungry Ghosts (Gabor Mate)

This is a cool idea. I've been listening to "Dopey: The Dark comedy of Drug Addiction" podcast that I heard about on here. "This Life #YOULIVE with Dr Drew" is another interesting one about addiction I've been listening too lately.

Check out ?The duncan trusssell family hour? for some good hippy-dippy babble. I love it. Great podcast. He?s kind of become my pseudo-guru

Ok, this is probably more apt for the thread that deals with research in the Science Thread...but I'll leave it here for anyone whom may find it of use, nonetheless. :)

This article is over, ten years old. It is concerned with Affect (i.e. Emotion) and affective neurology, as it pertains to addiction - which we all know, is the one aspect that is foundational in both understanding it and healing from it, practically (in most individuals).

* The capatilised words in the Abstract (i.e. a summary that sums-up what the journal paper is about) denote the terms (i.e. PANIC>GRIEF>SEEKING etc.)that Panskeep afforded to the human/animal instictual systems, that form the basic, 'drives for survival'.

The affective foundations of depression and addictions are discussed from a cross-species - animal
to human -perspective of translational psychiatric research

Depression is hypothesized to arise from an evolutionarily conserved mechanism to terminate protracted activation of separation-distress
(PANIC/GRIEF) systems of the brain, a shutdown mechanism which may be in part mediated by downregulation
of dopamine based Reward-seeking resources.

This shutdown of the brain's core motivational machinery is organized by shifts in multiple peptide systems, particularly increased dynorphin (kappa
opioids).

Addictions are conceived to be primarily mediated by obsessive behaviors sustained by reward SEEKING
circuits in the case of psychostimulant abuse, and also powerful consummatory -PLEASURE responses in the case of opioid abuse, which in turn capture SEEKING circuits.

Both forms of addiction, as well as others, eventually deplete reward-SEEKING resources, leading to a state of dysphoria which
can only temporarily be reversed by drugs of abuse, thereby promoting a negative affect that sustains
addictive cycles.

In other words, the opponent affective process - the dysphoria of diminished SEEKING
resources, that can be aroused by sustained over-arousal of separation-distress (PANIC/GRIEF) as well as
direct pharmacological over-stimulation and depletion of SEEKING resources, may be a common denominator
for the genesis of both depression and addiction.

Envisioning the foundation of such psychiatric problems as being in imbalances of the basic mammalian emotional systems that engender prototype affective states may provide more robust translational research strategies, coordinated with, rather than simply focusing on, the underlying molecular dynamics.

Emotional vocalizations might be one of the best ways to monitor the underlying affective dynamics in commonly used rodent models of psychiatric
disorders.

Link to PDF

Word Press site -Addiction and Recovery

*Note: This article deals with specifics of neurology/neurochemisty within a specific set of boundaries - many enviromental factors are often not included - it is important to note that nuanced enviromental factors(i.e. interaction with/exposure to, social experiences; economic and cultural; types of family, peer-group, community, etc. can alter functioning of individuals through experience within the microcosm/mesocosm - depending on the dynamic affects between an individual and that particular, environment - including all the factors that these environments may be comprised of. No journal can specifically deal with an individuals' specific set of subjective, experiences - this article tackles the neurological issues and links between depression and addiction, specifically.

Last edited:
Another post that is not any of the specified above ( feel free to remove) but, I see in these threads we all suffer from guilt, regret, self-deception etc. Going through, coming-out of addiction/relapse can make this even more intense.

This guy is very solemn but it's pretty admirable. I usually laugh-off my errors but sometimes taking that luxury is dumb. Sometimes, it's more practical, realistic and mature to take certain mistakes seriously and be more measured and strategic about tackling a specific character deficit that keeps presenting itself; especially, if it is something detrimental to health/well-being, that you are going to repeat or, relapse on.

So, this.

Last edited:
^^^ Thank you!

Thanks for these resources guys!
I appreciate this.
I need to get some things to read anyway.

❤️

^ Ditto, PO.

Great to read the resources on the first few posts in this thread. It's a discipline to keep in mind, to have the wisdom and warmth, of others to keep us on track. One of the few things I actually love about the human race. ;)<3

^ Ditto, PO.

Great to read the resources on the first few posts in this thread. It's a discipline to keep in mind, to have the wisdom and warmth, of others to keep us on track. One of the few things I actually love about the human race. ;)<3

Yes. It gives us HOPE to see others being kind human beings to one another!

Hugs to you Asclepius! You are brilliant and you shine! Love your presence! ❤️

"Some days you will be the Light for others, some days you will need some Light from them. As long as there is Light, there is Hope and there is a Way!"

I am really enjoying that Dr. Drew show and the Duncan Trussell family hour! Nice ones guys! Thanks again!

Last edited:

Pretty interesting video. Marc is a neuroscientist and a professor of developmental psychology. More info about him in the video description if you're interested.

At around 21:00 he talks about a very interesting study. Most people have heard about the study done with rats in which they take the drug until they overdose and die. A similar but lesser known study was done with rats in a park and morphine. The rats in the park preferred water over the morphine and would spontaneously stop taking the morphine. The primary difference was community vs isolation.

Last edited:
http://traceyh415.blogspot.com/

tracey from 1999 documentary black tar heroin.

"In 2018, I'm a married mother of three kids. I have a career. I have pets. I have responsibilities. It isn't that I never think of shooting dope, smoking crack, taking klonopins, or tweaking balls like I used to for many years. I just have collected a bunch of things I like to do more. Drugs played a role in my life, a pretty sizable one. It just wasn't sustainable. During the last month of my drug use, I used to mix speed, heroin, and powder cocaine in the same shot. I used to call it "the normal". I would inject it then for a few minutes I would feel similar to how I feel now. Then, the chemicals would spin me off in different directions until the next time.

I don't know what normal is but this is the best I have ever felt. I hope what ever you have going on, you are safe and healthy."

real inspo.

Right now I'm into the website of Kelly Brogan. Kellybroganmd.com

It's not about mental illness, but about how to fight anything mental illness related with a specific diet. It is well written and apparently effective even in people who experienced extreme conditions such as schizophrenia. I know what it sounds like, but I cant stop reading articles about it and will try it out myself the next coming weeks, because depression and anxiety are the things that keep my addiction alive.

Dreamland: True Tale of America's Opoid Epidemic, Sam Quinones; and I'm reading right now- Dopesick, by Beth Macy and its totally engrossing and maddening and sad. Also looking forward to Cherry.

Dr. Jordan Peterson is probably one of my current favorite people to listen to. He is a clinical psychologist and has a lot of very practical knowledge about addiction(and psychology in general), as well as being extremely empathetic and understanding to the suffering condition. I'd recommend watching the whole interview, but if you are short for time, skip to 26:00.

"The thing is if you're trying to quit drinking you need something better than alcohol. And alcohol is pretty good, so you better find something a lot better, man" and "You might say, 'well why do people drink too much'- if you like alcohol, that is a stupid question. Why do people drink so much?- well, because it is great. Ok, so why stop? Well, you do stupid things when you're drunk, you hurt yourself, you compromise your health, it's really hard on the people around you, you tend to turn into a liar and it screws up your life. Yeah, but it's pretty fun. Yeah, well it is, but you need something better than that. And what's better isn't being straight and not making mistakes- that's all prohibition in some sense. No, you need an adventure man. You need to get out there and have something to do, something worth waking up for. And that's the substitute for the addiction. Actually, the addiction is the substitute for that, if truth be known."

To paraphrase Dr. Peterson... People do drugs because they like them. Why specifically will vary from person to person, but simply put, it's because how it makes you feel. The key to overcoming an addiction isn't a deeper understanding of the problems, stronger morals, or just breaking the habit. The key is finding something better than drugs.

It's not about finding things to replace the addiction, it's about finding what we are replacing with addiction.

Pretty interesting video. Marc is a neuroscientist and a professor of developmental psychology. More info about him in the video description if you're interested.

At around 21:00 he talks about a very interesting study. Most people have heard about the study done with rats in which they take the drug until they overdose and die. A similar but lesser known study was done with rats in a park and morphine. The rats in the park preferred water over the morphine and would spontaneously stop taking the morphine. The primary difference was community vs isolation.

Nice post, Mafioso. ;)

[video]http://ellenhorn.com/blog/video-ross-ellenhorn-on-the-spark-of-opportunity-in-attachment-theories-on-addiction/[/video]

*he's nervous - crowd are irritating but nevertheless, some stuff

Hugs to you Asclepius! You are brilliant and you shine! Love your presence! ❤️

Any chance I get to log-in and I see your posts - what you said,by a million. No mutual masturabation - you're presence on here is precious PO; much respect, beautiful one.:|<3

http://traceyh415.blogspot.com/

tracey from 1999 documentary black tar heroin.

"In 2018, I'm a married mother of three kids. I have a career. I have pets. I have responsibilities. It isn't that I never think of shooting dope, smoking crack, taking klonopins, or tweaking balls like I used to for many years. I just have collected a bunch of things I like to do more. Drugs played a role in my life, a pretty sizable one. It just wasn't sustainable. During the last month of my drug use, I used to mix speed, heroin, and powder cocaine in the same shot. I used to call it "the normal". I would inject it then for a few minutes I would feel similar to how I feel now. Then, the chemicals would spin me off in different directions until the next time.

I don't know what normal is but this is the best I have ever felt. I hope what ever you have going on, you are safe and healthy."

real inspo.

We need more of this; the real narrative<3