Bluelight

Thread: Your Favorite Books/Podcasts/Blogs on Addiction

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    Mental Health
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTheStoner View Post
    http://traceyh415.blogspot.com/

tracey from 1999 documentary black tar heroin.

"In 2018, I'm a married mother of three kids. I have a career. I have pets. I have responsibilities. It isn't that I never think of shooting dope, smoking crack, taking klonopins, or tweaking balls like I used to for many years. I just have collected a bunch of things I like to do more. Drugs played a role in my life, a pretty sizable one. It just wasn't sustainable. During the last month of my drug use, I used to mix speed, heroin, and powder cocaine in the same shot. I used to call it "the normal". I would inject it then for a few minutes I would feel similar to how I feel now. Then, the chemicals would spin me off in different directions until the next time.

I don't know what normal is but this is the best I have ever felt. I hope what ever you have going on, you are safe and healthy."

real inspo.
    She's awesome. I got to speak with her at few times on Reddit
    Addicted? Want to stop? We can help! Come to the sober living forum!
    http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/269-Sober-Living

2. Collapse Details

Check out the book 'the heroin diaries' by Nikki sixx (motley Cr?e bassist)

3. Collapse Details

Sober Living
    The Dark Side
    Surprised no one has mentioned Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction by Maia Szalavitz.
    Struggling with addiction? Join us at Sober Living. We can help.

4. Collapse Details

^ yep, a label that begets a more pragmatic change toward policy -badly needed.

Hopefully research and awareness will provide a better-working, revolution and deal with addiction as a human-rights issue, rather than a 'problem' to be balked at.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/201...-treating-dru/

'other services' are badly needed - there is a huge disconnect in how people with addictions are being treated in the U.S.(espcially in the lower socio-economic bracket) - it's beyond, reprehensible.
    Last edited by Asclepius; 26-10-2018 at 04:26.

5. Collapse Details

Honestly I no longer associate with material related to addiction. Read enough books and browsed enough videos to understand my own issues enough to know that they are a product of my own making. I also feel the modern understanding of addiction is very biased and inaccurate.

However I can say Lance Dodes offered me a wonderful point of view on the subject of addiction as did Walter Ling (although I do not agree that the brain disorder of chemical dependency qualifies as addiction in the psychological sense as Walter argues) however like Dr. Dodes, Dr. Ling believes addiction can be mastered. Omg I have been here before talking about this but I was a different person then do forgive me.

Anyways I actually pursue something Dr. Ling recommended towards the end of his recent book Mastering the Addicted Brain. I shall keep it secret but offer these two doctors as inspiration from my own journey towards a new life free from chains.

6. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by herbavore View Post
    I just ordered a book that Mafioso recommended to someone here in TDS that I had not heard of before and that inspired me to start this thread. It would be a really great resource for those of us that love to read our way into solving problems.

(Mafioso's recommendation) Staying Sober (Gorski)

My top 2 so far: Chasing the Scream (Johann Hari)

In the realm of Hungry Ghosts (Gabor Mate)
    Gabor Mate is a wonderful doctor and man!

7. Collapse Details

Actually I can offer one podcast that aided me too during this battle to reclaim my existence from the demons that wanted my complete undoing, The Rich Roll Podcast. Rich was or still is perhaps he might say a recovering alcoholic. Or he had an alcohol issue that he is in recovery for.

A recent ep. (he inspired me to go vegan after being vegetarian for over a decade, I owe him much credit for pushing me into a fully plant-based lifestyle):

8. Collapse Details

I have to second (or third or whatever) dopey podcast. I have been binge listening since getting clean, and it's so good! Such a shame though since I know what happens to one of the main co-hosts

In terms of books, Memoirs of an Addicted Brain weaves a first person account of drug use with his later neuroscience perspective to tell you exactly what was happening in his brain during his drug experiences (which ran the gamut from weed to LSD to heroin & meth). It's fascinating and informative and great to get an understanding of addiction from the rare person who has the insider's and scientific perspective.

9. Collapse Details

UCSF endocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig explores how industry has contributed to a culture of addiction, depression and chronic disease. Always provocative, Lustig reveals the science that drives these states of mind and offers solutions we can use.
    Always find the very paradoxical nature of relationship that any of us have with addiction and its link to pleasure/pain - informing our norms, values and identity - a rabbit hole worth exploring. I guess what helped me was the awareness of how hoodwinked and sensitive we are to the pursuit of pleasure and the consequences of being sold/buying it, as a justifiable panacea for suffering.

https://youtu.be/EKkUtrL6B18

This is a the University of Cali, site channel w/ more info/eductional videos.

10. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by 14YearsOfFlux View Post
    Check out ?The duncan trusssell family hour? for some good hippy-dippy babble. I love it. Great podcast. He?s kind of become my pseudo-guru
    uh yes, i was just going to say
    two words :

Russell Brand !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12