Bluelight

Thread: Your Favorite Books/Podcasts/Blogs on Addiction

1. Collapse Details
    Your Favorite Books/Podcasts/Blogs on Addiction 
    Senior Moderator
    Recovery Support
    Drug Studies
    I just ordered a book that Mafioso recommended to someone here in TDS that I had not heard of before and that inspired me to start this thread. It would be a really great resource for those of us that love to read our way into solving problems.

(Mafioso's recommendation) Staying Sober (Gorski)

My top 2 so far: Chasing the Scream (Johann Hari)

In the realm of Hungry Ghosts (Gabor Mate)

2. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    This is a cool idea. I've been listening to "Dopey: The Dark comedy of Drug Addiction" podcast that I heard about on here. "This Life #YOULIVE with Dr Drew" is another interesting one about addiction I've been listening too lately.

3. Collapse Details

Check out ?The duncan trusssell family hour? for some good hippy-dippy babble. I love it. Great podcast. He?s kind of become my pseudo-guru

4. Collapse Details

Bluelighter
    Scattered by Gabor Mate is a really good one as well.

5. Collapse Details

Ok, this is probably more apt for the thread that deals with research in the Science Thread...but I'll leave it here for anyone whom may find it of use, nonetheless.

This article is over, ten years old. It is concerned with Affect (i.e. Emotion) and affective neurology, as it pertains to addiction - which we all know, is the one aspect that is foundational in both understanding it and healing from it, practically (in most individuals).

* The capatilised words in the Abstract (i.e. a summary that sums-up what the journal paper is about) denote the terms (i.e. PANIC>GRIEF>SEEKING etc.)that Panskeep afforded to the human/animal instictual systems, that form the basic, 'drives for survival'.

The affective foundations of depression and addictions are discussed from a cross-species - animal
    to human -perspective of translational psychiatric research

Depression is hypothesized to arise from an evolutionarily conserved mechanism to terminate protracted activation of separation-distress
    (PANIC/GRIEF) systems of the brain, a shutdown mechanism which may be in part mediated by downregulation
    of dopamine based Reward-seeking resources.

This shutdown of the brain's core motivational machinery is organized by shifts in multiple peptide systems, particularly increased dynorphin (kappa
    opioids).

Addictions are conceived to be primarily mediated by obsessive behaviors sustained by reward SEEKING
    circuits in the case of psychostimulant abuse, and also powerful consummatory -PLEASURE responses in the case of opioid abuse, which in turn capture SEEKING circuits.

Both forms of addiction, as well as others, eventually deplete reward-SEEKING resources, leading to a state of dysphoria which
    can only temporarily be reversed by drugs of abuse, thereby promoting a negative affect that sustains
    addictive cycles.

In other words, the opponent affective process - the dysphoria of diminished SEEKING
    resources, that can be aroused by sustained over-arousal of separation-distress (PANIC/GRIEF) as well as
    direct pharmacological over-stimulation and depletion of SEEKING resources, may be a common denominator
    for the genesis of both depression and addiction.

Envisioning the foundation of such psychiatric problems as being in imbalances of the basic mammalian emotional systems that engender prototype affective states may provide more robust translational research strategies, coordinated with, rather than simply focusing on, the underlying molecular dynamics.

Emotional vocalizations might be one of the best ways to monitor the underlying affective dynamics in commonly used rodent models of psychiatric
    disorders.

Link to PDF

Word Press site -Addiction and Recovery

*Note: This article deals with specifics of neurology/neurochemisty within a specific set of boundaries - many enviromental factors are often not included - it is important to note that nuanced enviromental factors(i.e. interaction with/exposure to, social experiences; economic and cultural; types of family, peer-group, community, etc. can alter functioning of individuals through experience within the microcosm/mesocosm - depending on the dynamic affects between an individual and that particular, environment - including all the factors that these environments may be comprised of. No journal can specifically deal with an individuals' specific set of subjective, experiences - this article tackles the neurological issues and links between depression and addiction, specifically.
    Last edited by Asclepius; 05-09-2018 at 06:24.

6. Collapse Details

Another post that is not any of the specified above ( feel free to remove) but, I see in these threads we all suffer from guilt, regret, self-deception etc. Going through, coming-out of addiction/relapse can make this even more intense.

This guy is very solemn but it's pretty admirable. I usually laugh-off my errors but sometimes taking that luxury is dumb. Sometimes, it's more practical, realistic and mature to take certain mistakes seriously and be more measured and strategic about tackling a specific character deficit that keeps presenting itself; especially, if it is something detrimental to health/well-being, that you are going to repeat or, relapse on.

So, this.

Last edited by Asclepius; 05-09-2018 at 06:52.

7. Collapse Details

^^^ Thank you!

Thanks for these resources guys!
    I appreciate this.
    I need to get some things to read anyway.

❤️

8. Collapse Details

^ Ditto, PO.

Great to read the resources on the first few posts in this thread. It's a discipline to keep in mind, to have the wisdom and warmth, of others to keep us on track. One of the few things I actually love about the human race.

9. Collapse Details

Quote Originally Posted by Asclepius View Post
    ^ Ditto, PO.

Great to read the resources on the first few posts in this thread. It's a discipline to keep in mind, to have the wisdom and warmth, of others to keep us on track. One of the few things I actually love about the human race.
    Yes. It gives us HOPE to see others being kind human beings to one another!

Hugs to you Asclepius! You are brilliant and you shine! Love your presence! ❤️

"Some days you will be the Light for others, some days you will need some Light from them. As long as there is Light, there is Hope and there is a Way!"

I am really enjoying that Dr. Drew show and the Duncan Trussell family hour! Nice ones guys! Thanks again!
    Last edited by Painful One; 13-09-2018 at 02:19.

10. Collapse Details

Bluelighter

Pretty interesting video. Marc is a neuroscientist and a professor of developmental psychology. More info about him in the video description if you're interested.

At around 21:00 he talks about a very interesting study. Most people have heard about the study done with rats in which they take the drug until they overdose and die. A similar but lesser known study was done with rats in a park and morphine. The rats in the park preferred water over the morphine and would spontaneously stop taking the morphine. The primary difference was community vs isolation.
    Last edited by Mafioso; Yesterday at 05:04.

11. Collapse Details

for directions https://youtu.be/V4347ZE0NQM?t=5m49s
    http://traceyh415.blogspot.com/

tracey from 1999 documentary black tar heroin.

"In 2018, I'm a married mother of three kids. I have a career. I have pets. I have responsibilities. It isn't that I never think of shooting dope, smoking crack, taking klonopins, or tweaking balls like I used to for many years. I just have collected a bunch of things I like to do more. Drugs played a role in my life, a pretty sizable one. It just wasn't sustainable. During the last month of my drug use, I used to mix speed, heroin, and powder cocaine in the same shot. I used to call it "the normal". I would inject it then for a few minutes I would feel similar to how I feel now. Then, the chemicals would spin me off in different directions until the next time.

I don't know what normal is but this is the best I have ever felt. I hope what ever you have going on, you are safe and healthy."

real inspo.