• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Your Favorite Books/Podcasts/Blogs on Addiction

Any chance I get to log-in and I see your posts - what you said,by a million. No mutual masturabation - you're presence on here is precious PO; much respect, beautiful one.:|<3

HA! Okay no mutual masturbation.

But, thank you.

* bows to you

❤️

Much homage; Very reciprocate! =D I know, the ego-stroke is underestimated! ;) <3

On a note, related to the thread - this talk reminded me of many a BL'er;Darksider, thwarted by systems ( work/family etc...the usual culprits!) where they turned to addiction because their ideas/personality was constantly undervalued/invalidated/nullified. I thought this speaker, offered eloquent expression to the thwarting of certain personality types, that have found themselves excluded and gave rational justification for why, it is necessary to not give-up the hurdles- learn techniques to 'fit-in'/abdicate, in certain circumstances - especially if you are just coming out of substance abuse and getting-back to 'normal' .At least until, you feel like your perspective is in your favour; when it comes to making genuinely right, healthy and purposeful decisions about yourself, for yourself and in your own best interest.

Anyhoo, ( even if you're not in business - it's just about surviving)this guy... speaks some wise words.

The crying is probably, fake but he has found a structure to work within -everyone needs that, no matter what your personality is; values or objective in life function; even/especially if you have none, to build one is imperative to survival - there is no one-size-fits-all, illusion of fitting-in.

Last edited:

It's not about finding things to replace the addiction, it's about finding what we are replacing with addiction.

This( as in your sentence -not the video podcast - ugh)...don't forget finding 'it' can be both positive and negative - but focusing on the negative; engulfing every other aspect of the Self with it, is what made the addiction function - it's dealing with your shiitier aspects is the hardest - those factors you dont want to tolerate about yourself and hate - its a trial lol its a process; a LONG one but if you learn to basically accept - you'll be ok,other people; good (only - as in how you define your needs and ethics) people are the best medicine to deal with this - it's a necessity ;)<3

*You know what pisses me off about J. Peterson is the fact that there are a million males out there as good; if not better than him but cant function because they dont have his background, pedestal, or ego - thats not to say he doesnt speak some truths but. Make your own - its fine to be inspired but walk your own walk; talk your own talk, as yourself; as you wish - if you recognise it on some guru; it's in you anyway, you just dont pay enough attention to your good self - start, nourish it.

Last edited:
This( as in your sentence -not the video podcast - ugh)...don't forget finding 'it' can be both positive and negative - but focusing on the negative; engulfing every other aspect of the Self with it, is what made the addiction function - it's dealing with your shiitier aspects is the hardest - those factors you dont want to tolerate about yourself and hate - its a trial lol its a process; a LONG one but if you learn to basically accept - you'll be ok,other people; good (only - as in how you define your needs and ethics) people are the best medicine to deal with this - it's a necessity ;)<3

*You know what pisses me off about J. Peterson is the fact that there are a million males out there as good; if not better than him but cant function because they dont have his background, pedestal, or ego - thats not to say he doesnt speak some truths but. Make your own - its fine to be inspired but walk your own walk; talk your own talk, as yourself; as you wish - if you recognise it on some guru; it's in you anyway, you just dont pay enough attention to your good self - start, nourish it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and I only say something because I know Dr. Peterson receives a lot of hate for things he doesn't actually say or believe. He is a clinical psychologist with years of research and experience. He has literally hundreds of hours of his lectures posted to youtube for free. He gained the spotlight when he began speaking out against Canadian laws regarding gender pronouns, which is where most the controversy stems from. The irony is that none of his work or lectures are at all controversial, and instead "by the book" is a much better description of how he works.

If you were to take the time to actually listen to him in full, and truly hear him out with bias aside, I think your opinion of him might change. You are free to think negatively of him and his work, that is your opinion. I just hope you do so based off of his words, not the words that others have said about him.

^ I was introduced to Maps of Meaning by a friend who was interested in it, way back before he ever exploded on YT, so, much aware of his background, influences - read some of his research and viewed many of his lectures - I still listen to some of Peterson's, videos/interviews. ;) I identify with a lot of what he says but not all, and don't agree with everything he proclaims (obviously). Totally aknowledge much of the positive help that J.P. has given to his audiences, as they have atttested. I just am not into the populist, cults of personality that build around certain 'internet sensations' on the web - they usually lapse into lunacy and spin, away from the actual message and meaning, tis' all.
So, I am not 'hating', just mindful, criticism- there is a difference and the latter wasn't meant to antagonise you, or what you choose to follow -btw. :)

Last edited:
http://traceyh415.blogspot.com/

tracey from 1999 documentary black tar heroin.

"In 2018, I'm a married mother of three kids. I have a career. I have pets. I have responsibilities. It isn't that I never think of shooting dope, smoking crack, taking klonopins, or tweaking balls like I used to for many years. I just have collected a bunch of things I like to do more. Drugs played a role in my life, a pretty sizable one. It just wasn't sustainable. During the last month of my drug use, I used to mix speed, heroin, and powder cocaine in the same shot. I used to call it "the normal". I would inject it then for a few minutes I would feel similar to how I feel now. Then, the chemicals would spin me off in different directions until the next time.

I don't know what normal is but this is the best I have ever felt. I hope what ever you have going on, you are safe and healthy."

real inspo.

She's awesome. I got to speak with her at few times on Reddit

Check out the book 'the heroin diaries' by Nikki sixx (motley Cr?e bassist)

Surprised no one has mentioned Unbroken Brain: A Revolutionary New Way of Understanding Addiction by Maia Szalavitz.

^ yep, a label that begets a more pragmatic change toward policy -badly needed.

Hopefully research and awareness will provide a better-working, revolution and deal with addiction as a human-rights issue, rather than a 'problem' to be balked at. :)

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2018/jan/20/proposed-law-would-refocus-efforts-on-treating-dru/

'other services' are badly needed - there is a huge disconnect in how people with addictions are being treated in the U.S.(espcially in the lower socio-economic bracket) - it's beyond, reprehensible.

Last edited:
Honestly I no longer associate with material related to addiction. Read enough books and browsed enough videos to understand my own issues enough to know that they are a product of my own making. I also feel the modern understanding of addiction is very biased and inaccurate.

However I can say Lance Dodes offered me a wonderful point of view on the subject of addiction as did Walter Ling (although I do not agree that the brain disorder of chemical dependency qualifies as addiction in the psychological sense as Walter argues) however like Dr. Dodes, Dr. Ling believes addiction can be mastered. Omg I have been here before talking about this but I was a different person then do forgive me.

Anyways I actually pursue something Dr. Ling recommended towards the end of his recent book Mastering the Addicted Brain. I shall keep it secret but offer these two doctors as inspiration from my own journey towards a new life free from chains.

I just ordered a book that Mafioso recommended to someone here in TDS that I had not heard of before and that inspired me to start this thread. It would be a really great resource for those of us that love to read our way into solving problems.:)

(Mafioso's recommendation) Staying Sober (Gorski)

My top 2 so far: Chasing the Scream (Johann Hari)

In the realm of Hungry Ghosts (Gabor Mate)
Gabor Mate is a wonderful doctor and man!

Actually I can offer one podcast that aided me too during this battle to reclaim my existence from the demons that wanted my complete undoing, The Rich Roll Podcast. Rich was or still is perhaps he might say a recovering alcoholic. Or he had an alcohol issue that he is in recovery for.

A recent ep. (he inspired me to go vegan after being vegetarian for over a decade, I owe him much credit for pushing me into a fully plant-based lifestyle):

I have to second (or third or whatever) dopey podcast. I have been binge listening since getting clean, and it's so good! Such a shame though since I know what happens to one of the main co-hosts :(

In terms of books, Memoirs of an Addicted Brain weaves a first person account of drug use with his later neuroscience perspective to tell you exactly what was happening in his brain during his drug experiences (which ran the gamut from weed to LSD to heroin & meth). It's fascinating and informative and great to get an understanding of addiction from the rare person who has the insider's and scientific perspective.

UCSF endocrinologist Dr. Robert Lustig explores how industry has contributed to a culture of addiction, depression and chronic disease. Always provocative, Lustig reveals the science that drives these states of mind and offers solutions we can use.

Always find the very paradoxical nature of relationship that any of us have with addiction and its link to pleasure/pain - informing our norms, values and identity - a rabbit hole worth exploring. I guess what helped me was the awareness of how hoodwinked and sensitive we are to the pursuit of pleasure and the consequences of being sold/buying it, as a justifiable panacea for suffering.

Personally don't like the guy but it's intuitively evident he's had firsthand experience; rough guess, coke.

This is a the University of Cali, site channel w/ more info/eductional videos.

Last edited:

This is a good video that I think a lot of people today can relate with. It definitely hit home with me.

Not entirely about recovery, but about half way through it is really interesting. Uplifting, fun, and positive if you need something to brighten your day.

^ ya know, im not into pop anything but its not a bad podcast tbf. ;)

^^ that clip on loneliness. Wise, Mafiosa. We all feel it but the basic tenets are still taboo, yet we're swimming in a disconnected society. We need more humane propaganda to counter the bullshit. :)?

It is and they don't want to help anyone with maintenance or any little thing
because they act like everything is an addiction there fore everyone seems to be dumbed down to an addict and just subdued with more medication because of it.

if i go to a doctor and ask for a mild xanax or want to continue my
pain maintenance they say no and just try to prescribe 15,000 other things
for me to do, when i know perfectly fine what works for me right now.
I hope I did'nt veer off topic but i think doctors are being told what they can and
cannot prescribe by gov and then by big the pharma.
I think with harm reduction and addiction support help and awareness
out there and overdosing is being a bit exaggerated or
at least a controlled demolition.

i think there is a shortage of appropriate
support for skills and knowledge.
Even a little bit goes a longer way than one
can even imagine at first. just saying, who wants to listen.
psychiatrists are good at that but other medical intervention
seems to be less support in pointing in correct channels, while being
caught up in fines and regulations and control of the masses.

not everyone is an addict and the ones considered addicts,
with proper support can be very productive a well. just my thing
and all.

For sure, Hylight. Got to remember its a beauracracy, it will NOT run well, in accordance with human need (despite some amazing efforts to support and cure) there isnt a panacea in the health-system (and a lot of bullshit and inertia and empty profit). However, it is only recovering addicts (like you) that can/could change/get involved to change the system imho -tough gig but life is tough either way (one side your fighting and the other side your fighting and your impacting). ;)

Last edited: