• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How does clonodine help kratom withdrawals?

sonicwhite

Bluelighter
This is just a general question. I?m prescribed 2 mg Twix a day and it isn?t for anything but anxiety.

I?m about to go thru Kratom withdrawals and I?m hoping I?ll get thru the worst of it alright.

AFAIK its blood pressure med and when people have been on opiates for a long time and stop suddenly they can get rebound hypertension meaning that there BP can go high, Clonidine combats that

Clonidine is a a2 adrenergic receptor agonist. It decreases vascular resistance and it a mild sedative so it can relieve some of the symptoms of physical withdrawal such as tachycardia, sweating, chills and restlessness. It does wear off quickly though and rebound hypertension is an issue. If you can get a doctor to prescribe it, it's best IME to get the transdermal patches, which gives you a steady dose over one week. If you take the tablets it's probably for the best if you check your blood pressure periodically throughout the day to make sure you're not experiencing rebound hypertension.

Clonidine works great for acute withdrawal. After the bad stuff is over then try to half dose the next day, then keep half dosing till zero. If you quit abruptly then you're gonna get rebound hypertension , as aihfl mentioned. You'll also feel pretty weak while on it. Also something to mention is it really dries your mouth and eyes. Get some lubricant eye drops and drink plenty of water. This is a pretty heavy duty BP med ,so be careful if your on other BP drugs or downers.

Since my 36 days of gabapentin withdrawals taught me a lesson. I have 300 mg three times a day with clonidine. So I think it may not be as bad as I think it will be.

The only thing I don?t look forward too is the RLS. If I don?t sleep I feel like crap. So hopefully it?s not going to be that bad.

Clonidine reduces sympathetic nervous system activity, so RLS should be minimal. 900mg gabapentin is a minimal therapeutic dose. That's what I take, although it makes me weirdly dizzy to the point where it interferes with work during the day so I take the entire 900mg at night.

If you’re already dependent on your dose of gabapentin it probably won’t be a huge help, but it still should make a bit of difference. Clonidine definitely will help with kratom withdrawal, similar to how it does with other opioids. You may need to slightly increase the dose, but try what you normally take and go (conservatively) from there.

Let us know how things go with this OP. Good luck!

Oh totally, clonidine is front line treatment for acute opioid withdrawal.

When I stand up I get very dizzy. Idk if that?s the Clonidine or the Kratom withdrawals.

I lose my hearing and everything. I?ve only eaten two slices of bread in three days.

Ugh man this is hard.

It probably has to do with the fact you've barely eaten in two days, not because of the clonidine or kratom withdrawals. Crackers and broth are always good when you don't have an appetite from withdrawals. And a multivitamin will help too.

Clonidine could make you dizzy on standing but not eating is more likely the cause

How much are you taking? I could only take 0.1mg every 12hrs . Anymore and I would be a zombie. Eat a sandwich or something and drink water .

It?s def The clonidine. Cuz I haven?t taken any today and I can get up without feeling like im going to pass out.

I really doubt this is caused by clonidine. You need to eat something whether you have an appetite or not, and your electrolytes are probably low as well. Sports drinks like Gatorade or Powerade can bring your electrolytes back up.

And Ensure “meals in a bottle” type drinks are better than nothing if solid food is giving your a hard time.

Sports (not energy) drinks are also a great idea.

As are smoothies! Carrot juice, whey, frozen strawberry smoothies are cheap and the best! :)

Nourishment, while hard during withdrawal, becomes all the more important during something like this. Not eating will exacerbate the side effects of any medication, including clonidine.

And make sure or give yourself plenty of rest <3