• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Early Recovery

I've lived in Nashville, Knoxville, Oak Ridge, Gatlinburg, Sevierville, Dandridge, and Chattanooga. Yes, they are all different-- partly due to size of particular city, but region is important, too. Here in Chatt, we always say "y'all." In Dandridge, Sevierville and Gatlinburg it's definitely "you'uns" or "yuns." Knox and O.R. have an odd mix of Appalachian and educated Northerners and educated Southerners, so you hear all kinds of stuff. Nashville is a beast all its own in many ways.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"I had the right to remain silent...but not the ability." -- Ron White

Hi all. I may not be online for a couple of days. Just wanted to thank you all for your support and your interesting/fun posts. Keep up the good work!

Hope everyone is well and reasonably happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Charlie Brown is the one person I can identify with. C.B. is such a loser. He wasn't even the star of his own Halloween special." -- Chris Rock

Just a note to say hi. Hi.

I'm doing okay with my new job except that it is hard work and my sciatica is really tormenting me. Of course my first thought is "narcotics would help" but I really can't go there. None of the OTC meds help. I'm trying some stretching exercises with very limited results. I'm considering acupuncture or chiropractic treatment. Anybody have experience with these things?

Otherwise, things are hunky-dory.

Hope you all are well and reasonably happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine." -- Whoopi Goldberg

JK, I've found acupuncture quite effective. Back when I was a symphony orchestra musician about 20 years ago I had a severe case of tendinitis and of course the regular doctor wanted to operate, but the person who sat next to me at work recommended acupuncture. It took about 15 sessions, but it cleared it up. It was a lot of sessions but sure beat going under the knife.

I've had no experience with a chiropractor.

Have you tried Lyrica jk? I found it really good for nerve pain

Good to hear you're plugging along J.

Always good to hear your updates.

Thinking good thoughts that your sciatica calms down, mine was acting up a few months ago and then one day it had settled on it's own. I wish the same for you.

Much love and support to you my friend,

Ash.

Just a note to say hi. Hi.

I'm doing okay with my new job except that it is hard work and my sciatica is really tormenting me. Of course my first thought is "narcotics would help" but I really can't go there. None of the OTC meds help. I'm trying some stretching exercises with very limited results. I'm considering acupuncture or chiropractic treatment. Anybody have experience with these things?

Otherwise, things are hunky-dory.

Hope you all are well and reasonably happy.

Peace&Love,
jasper

"Normal is nothing more than a cycle on a washing machine." -- Whoopi Goldberg

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. If my pain gets any worse or doesn't clear up soon I will look into acupuncture or Lyrica. I will NOT get surgery. I believe the risks outweigh the benefits in this case.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemingway

If you choose to try chiro try to find one who has studied applied kinesiology. They tend be able to locate and adjust problem areas without as much of the full body snap, crackle, pop mentality. Some of the diagnostic tests may seem like witchcraft, but I have had some very good results.

Lots of Tennesseans round here. Lol
no doubt we definitely have some good likker out east. A while back everyone started tryin to sell pga with strawberries and shit in it as shine. Like anyone would want that crap in their whiskey anyways. Old guy that was my boat mechanic made some that was damn near dangerous on the first batch every time. Smooth as silk. Wish he was still round!
oh and the accents... I was bear hunting in Cocke county in east tn one year and the dog handlers spoke the same language as boomhower on king of the hill. Lol no exaggeration

Last edited:
Hello my dear friend beenbetter!!

I haven't spoken to you in a while and I am so happy to see you posting!!! How are things with you?

Hugs,
your friend,
Ash.

Lots of Tennesseans round here. Lol
no doubt we definitely have some good likker out east. A while back everyone started tryin to sell pga with strawberries and shit in it as shine. Like anyone would want that crap in their whiskey anyways. Old guy that was my boat mechanic made some that was damn near dangerous on the first batch every time. Smooth as silk. Wish he was still round!
oh and the accents... I was bear hunting in Cocke county in east tn one year and the dog handlers spoke the same language as boomhower on king of the hill. Lol no exaggeration

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. Welcome, Beenbetter. Hi Ash!

Yee-haw! Fall is finally here. It was actually chilly this morning. I love it. Remind me of this when it's January and I'm bitching about the cold. I live in a 100-yr-old house that is very drafty. Fortunately, my pit bull Dixie Chick keeps me pretty warm.

Hope y'all have a great weekend.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"Evil can be displaced but never eradicated, as all solutions breed new problems." -- Sheldon Kopp

It occurred to me that there is at least one advantage to having been a drug addict (I mean besides the opportunity to meet very interesting people)... it teaches thrift. If you are spending 90% of your income on your DOC, you are forced to be frugal in other areas. In recovery I continue to cut corners every way I can, budget-wise. Then every now and then I realize "Oh yeah, I guess I can afford Levi's instead of Wal-Mart jeans." It's kinda cool.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"I need to take my pants off as soon as I get home. I didn't used to have to do that but now I do." -- Tine Fey

Hi BB,

Oh man that sucks, hang in there. I hope the subs work well for you, you know I'm here for you if you need anything. Feel free to pm me anytime.

Big hugs to you,
your friend,
Ash.

I’m alive but barely
trying subs again
pwds like a bitxh

To all those struggling: you are NOT alone. Reach out!

I am not where I want to be but I'm a helluva lot better off than I was a few months ago. I never could have made it this far by myself. Being a loner and stubbornly self-sufficient, it was hard for me to ask for help but I'm sure glad I did.

Peace&Love,
jasper

​"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." -- Susan Sontag

Love you jasper, you are a bright light around here and so helpful. I love hearing from you!!

So proud of you,
your friend,
Ash.

Hey Jasper! Just letting you know u caught your thread!! I am just figuring out how this bluelight works lol!! So nice to meet you!

95530_featured.png

Back atcha, Ash! You are a sweetheart.

Peace&Love,
jasper