• REAGENT TESTING & DRUG CHECKING Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Featured Link 1 Featured Link 2
  • RT&DC Moderators: arrall

Pill scanning app

paranoidShroom

Greenlighter
Hi guys,

First off, I hope this is the right place as it not really a test.

I made a pill scanning app prototype, video: https://streamable.com/9n21o
The design obviously not done and the accuracy needs some increasing.
This is aimed towards harm reduction, make it easier to find pill reports.
THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT FOR A CHEMICAL TEST SET !!!
Do you think people would want this?

I would love to get some feedback on this.
Some points about the app and privacy:

• Obviously free
  • No login/accounts
  • No analytics, trackers, ads or service that try to identify you
  • App strips exif information of images uploaded.
  • Server side removing of images

It has some cool tech behind the scenes, but I'm only pursuing this further if people want it.
Any feedback would be interesting. Thanks :)

Thanks for the kind words !

1) dimensions and weight are equally important as the looks of the print. The app would legitimize knockoffs unless there is a clear message to measure your pill and compare.
I agree, I could rank pills in your area higher. Then you find the reports that say it is a dirty pill. But given location is pretty privacy sensitive I won't add it.
But you should receive the knock off reports that provide a report about the dirty pill.
2) can we add reagent testing notification, for those who will download the app with no intention of ever using test kits
Not sure what you mean by a notification, but I will add a warning that you still need to test and this is only an indication. Test kits are unfortunately not easily available for everyone :(

3) If I assume correctly with what you mean by cool tech behind the scenes, does it mean it could be applied to comparing color reactions the same way it compares pills?
Yes exactly! You assume correct, it could read an image of reaction colors and provide information based on that, instead of manually comparing the colors.
In an ideal world, you could first scan the pill and then the result. Then we have a huge list of all pills including their tests :)
I'm not sure if people would be interested though.
But cool idea :)

I think it's a great idea and I hope you figure out the kinks, but I fear the ease of use and unreliability of it will make it dangerous. You said yourself it's not a substitute for a real test and I'm worried that the people who would use this app would feel confident taking a substance without proper identification. I think it would need to be plastered with Harm Reduction, signs telling people not to take unidentified substances, and warnings that visual confirmation is not very reliable.

This is amazing. I'd definitely want to test out an apha version of this.

Thanks for the feedback everyone, one of the things we can conclude is that we need to make it very clear this visual detection is not a definitive chemical result.
Anyone have a good idea how to make this clear ? Added a banner with "Test your compound with a kit, this might be wrong and dangerous" will probably just be ignored.

@SIN.org.pl
Interesting, I'll send you some contact info. Maybe I can help you guys.

@cyrilio
Heb je nu net een account gemaakt hiervoor ? :D
I'll add you to the list of alpha testers ;) But the machine learning model is still learning as we speak to improve the accuracy.

yeah I indeed made an account to comment here @paranoidShroom . Thought that I had an account but apparently not. Thanks for adding me to the list. looking forward to testing it in the future.

By the way, will you be 'scraping' the info from Ecstasydata.org for easy comparison? Would be very helpful imho...

My eyes are the scanner and my brain will spit out the answer, I know everything. I do not just take pills, I have become a pill. My entire being is chemicals held together with sucrose binding agents and I too get swallowed with alcohol to give it a kick.

Pills for life poese!

This is so fucking cool, amazing work! I think this could definitely take off, and could become really popular if it was pushed in the right places.

Impressive work paranoidShroom, and a very clever idea! :)

I couldn't agree more with all of your concerns.

So:
1: (Images are being uploaded - privacy concern).
It is indeed a source of (potential) privacy issues. However since this is a niche market, the amount of data to train the image recognition is VERY limited. I would like to improve it by training on new data.
I haven't decided on doing this regarding privacy. I hope people will only take pictures that don't contain sensitive information.
Privacy is one of the prio's. Thats what there is no login/ account or google analytics added. This exposes the service to abuse, but thats a price to pay.
I'm very open to ideas on how to limit this image privacy issues.

2: The data has no credible source:
This is also true, although the current website scraping is a start to validate. This could provide incorrect data in the future.
Again this is by no means a replacement for a reagent test.
I'm currently in talks in integrating this feature into a different app. A non profit organisation aimed towards prevention etc.
They have better connections and are willing to integrate it to their app with validated sourced.
But this will take probably more than half a year, and I won't be able to guarantee privacy wise analytics tracking etc.

3: Edge image recognition
Great idea, but unfortunately that would increase loading times A LOT more.
There are options to trim down the AI model and some other cool tricks with a drop in accuracy.
But my skillset is not high enough to estimate if this is feasible.

Thank you for the feedback, those are some very good remarks I was wondering about myself