• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Is 3meo-pce a stereo isomer of pce?

mozaik0000

Bluelighter
There you have it! Probably a simple question for our fellow chemists, to which i need a precise answer given that a new law where I live has made illegal all stereo isomers of eticyclidine...
Thank you in advance for your time and effort in answering me!

No.

Stereoisomers have the same basic chemical makeup, but parts of the molecule are oriented differently (it's kind of like your hands: Your left hand and your right hand are made up of identical bones and muscles, but their parts are oriented in such a way that your right hand is the mirror image of your left hand).

3-MeO-PCE could be described as a ring-substituted derivative (where there once was a simple hydrogen atom, there is now an alkoxy group at the 3-position of the phenyl ring).

Problem is PCE doesn't have stereoisomers. For a compound to have stereoisomers there must be at least one chiral center (or a double bond with at least one substituent at each C atom of the C=C fragment, to be precise), eticyclidine doesn't have any.

Thaks a bunch for your knowledge, guys!
Adder, this can be explained by the fact that the law lists not only eticyclidine, but a whole bunch of other coumpounds, with the mention ??these products are illegal, also their salts and their stereo isomers??
Cheers for making my day!

Chiral compounds mostly* always need a carbon with 4 different things bonded to it, so PCP, PCE, TCP, and their phenyl substituted friends like 3-MeO-PCP, 3-MeO-PCE, 4-MeO-PCP, etc. are all non-chiral because they have a plane of symmetry.

As soon as you add a substituent on the cyclohexane then you have a different situation - c.f. deschloroketamine (2'-oxo-PCM), 2'-oxo-PCE, ketamine (2-chloro-2'-oxo-PCM), MXE (3-MeO-2'-oxo-PCE), gacyclidine (2'-methyl-TCP), etc. Or in rarer cases, a substitution on the piperidine ring, like 4''-methyl-PCP, any of those will yield a compound whoch has a pair of stereoisomers.

* Axial chirality (among other forms of chirality, that don't neccesarily require a quaternary carbon with 4 differing substituents) is a thing too, but not relevant in the scope of this discussion.

Last edited:
The law said isomer and not “stereo”isomer isnt it?
The two words are not the same!

@OP: stupid laws passed by stupid people who have no fuckign idea what they're talking about. I mean isomer is quite general term: it covers both structural positional stereoisomers as well as stereoisomers (check "isomer" wiki). So what it is the point passing new laws covering "stereoisomers" specifically when it is already covered in the first law. A stereosiomer is an isomer so it is also covered by the first set of laws that said "isomer", isn't it?.. why pass new laws??
It is like you've already passed laws banning all cars and then you pass new ones banning all red cars!

@OP: stupid laws passed by stupid people who have no fuckign idea what they're talking about. I mean isomer is quite general term: it covers both structural positional stereoisomers as well as stereoisomers (check "isomer" wiki). So what it is the point passing new laws covering "stereoisomers" specifically when it is already covered in the first law. A stereosiomer is an isomer so it is also covered by the first set of laws that said "isomer", isn't it?.. why pass new laws??
It is like you've already passed laws banning all cars and then you pass new ones banning all red cars!

Where did OP imply that the law said anything about isomers other than stereoisomers?

I would be very curious to see the actual law in question, if you're willing to share it, Mozaik.