• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Sublocade...had to do something

OpiateInfadel

Greenlighter
Well, it?s the new kid on the block and I have already picked a fight! I am a 15 year opiate addict that has spent at least 8 of those years battling Suboxone. No matter what I do I just can not keep from over taking my subs. I have gotten it under control much better in the past 6 months, and I have not been swapping between opiates and Suboxone every month. My doc has really been working with me by trying to get my dose adjusted and as long as I am at least close, he has been filling early scripts because he knows it?s either that or I?m gonna relapse. I was at the point of being scared of not only losing family and job but also life. I started with the new Sublocade injection yesterday and it was a great day. Today is day 2 and I feel fantastic. I have spent years being either over medicated or under medicated and in some stage of withdrawal. I am serious about my recovery and know I need this medication right now in order to get into better life habits and get settled down a lot. I have lost 3 friends this year to opiates and I refuse to join them. I woke up this morning feeling great finally, no over medicated headache, and no rush to take my meds to start my day, just normal. My wife is already happy and super supportive. I have had Bluelighters save me a few times and if I can help 1 person in crisis then I will be happy. Stay tuned for my journey with Sublocade...oh and by the way, YES, the injection is painful. Just imagine pouring lighter fluid in your abdomen and then setting it on fire and that?s it. It goes away just as quickly but that was at least my experience...good luck everybody

That's awesome. I wanted to get on it but my insurance doesn't cover it yet.

CJ, go to the Indivior website and check it out. They have several programs for payment assistance. They even have Copay assistance if your insurance does pick it up. I have Acreedo insurance and it paid all but $38 of the $1589.00...hopefully when the weekly injections hit the market soon it will create a bit of a price war. Day 3 now and I feel fantastic.

Day 3 - No pain or discomfort at the injection site. It’s not even noticeable other than a small bump and a small bruise. I did wake up at 3:30am last night feeling very medicated all of a sudden but it passed quickly and I was fine by 7:00am. I was able to go back sleep also by around 4am. I feel great today, and haven’t caught myself digging in my pocket for my pill bottle yet (which is not there, I have no subs remaining). I’m still just starting but very hopeful and optimistic. Over the past 3 days I have noticed a few times that it seems I can feel a small bump of the Bupe but nothing like a strip would cause, it has really been very smooth. So that everyone understands my reasons for going to this injection. I haven’t the willpower to cold turkey or even taper the subs and without the Buprenorphine I KNOW I will be relapsing quickly. This was my shot to have a semi normal life and lead to live again.

I just got my first 300mg injection today....nervous as hell about it, been on 3 a day suboxon ?usually take more though filling scripts early? for 5+ years. God I hope this works!!!!! I have no subs at all right now

I've heard positive things. Keep us updated.

Please keep thread updated! I have heard of this, but very little.

I truly hope this helps you (and everyone else) stay on course as painlessly as possible.

I'm currently on Subutex. But using about 2x per month. I'm really interested to hear your journies and comparisons to oral subs.

I started on Suboxone 16 mg a day.. I want off of everything, so I started bunivail 4.2 mg 3 x a day. I had hot flashes in between doses. Then I started 2.1 mg 3x a day.. I tapered myself down to about 1/2 of that... without my doctors knowledge. I knew I was getting ready to lose my insurance, so I told my doctor I wanted to start tapering off.. she recommended Sublocade. So on October 23rd I started 100 mg Sublocade. It?s November 11th, 2018.. I?m starting to get really clammy and sweats in the evening. I feel great in the mornings. This started a couple days ago. I lost my insurance.. so I don?t know what to do.. I?m thinking maybe tough it out.. maybe let my body taper itself off.. idk.

Ugh that's a bad situation man. Your doctor did you dirty by not having you start tapering. Before your money ran out

That's tough. I'm sorry you're in this situation.

I would imagine you can take comfort meds as it wears off more and more. Stuff like gabapentin. Even loperamide maybe.

Hopefully, you can get a plan of action to make this more bearable.

I started on Suboxone 16 mg a day.. I want off of everything, so I started bunivail 4.2 mg 3 x a day. I had hot flashes in between doses. Then I started 2.1 mg 3x a day.. I tapered myself down to about 1/2 of that... without my doctors knowledge. I knew I was getting ready to lose my insurance, so I told my doctor I wanted to start tapering off.. she recommended Sublocade. So on October 23rd I started 100 mg Sublocade. It?s November 11th, 2018.. I?m starting to get really clammy and sweats in the evening. I feel great in the mornings. This started a couple days ago. I lost my insurance.. so I don?t know what to do.. I?m thinking maybe tough it out.. maybe let my body taper itself off.. idk.

This is happening because your supposed to start on a 300mg dose for the first two injections..and then after that you get the 100 mg injections. My injection doctor who works at a rehab and has done plenty of them told me the buprenorphine does not reach what they call a "steady state" until 4-6 months. You are supposed to take a sublingual does of buprenorphine..whether it be Suboxone or Subutex for at least 7 days and the first shot you receive should be 300mg. Unfortunately you received the wrong dose from the start.. A mistake on your doctors fault. Seems like they are not very familiar with Sublocade and need to do more research.

The reason I say that is because they gave you the wrong dose and Sublocade is not meant for tapering off Buprenorphine. You'd want to do that with Suboxone/Subutex..not a long lasting drug like Sublocade injection.

Last edited:
Been away from BL for too long, sorry for no updates. Still on Bupe, Shit did not work well for me but they also sauces me with the injection, dude was a shaky hand first timer, anyway hope all is well.