Bluelight

Thread: Rising seas will displace millions of people ? and Australia must be ready

1. Collapse Details
    Rising seas will displace millions of people ? and Australia must be ready 
    Senior Moderator
    Current Events and Politics
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Earth
    Rising seas will displace millions of people ? and Australia must be ready

Sea level rise is already threatening some communities around the world, particularly small island states, as it exacerbates disasters resulting from storm surges and flooding.

If greenhouse gas emissions continue unabated, by 2100 the world could see sea level rise of a metre ? or even more if there is a larger contribution from the Antarctic ice sheet, as some recent findings suggest.

Even without a larger Antarctic response, the rate of rise at the end of the 21st century for unmitigated emissions is likely to be equivalent to the rate of rise during the last deglaciation of the Earth, when sea level rose at more than a metre per century for many millennia.

For all scenarios, sea-level rise will continue for centuries to come.

Without significantly more effective mitigation than currently planned, the rise will ultimately be many metres, or even tens of metres ? the question is not if there will be large rises, but how quickly they will happen.

Forcing people from their homes
    As well as causing seas to rise, climate change may also increase the severity of events like cyclones and rainfall, which may force people from their homes in many regions.

Global statistics on the risk of disaster displacement were not systematically collected until 2008, but already they offer stark figures.
    -Read more

2. Collapse Details

Why must Australia be ready?

3. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Shielding off the weakening beams of salvation shining upon the mournful gloom of Earth
    Geographical proximity to the imminent disaster areas? Think about Indonesia, an archipelago with very low lying islands- where are these people likely to flee when sea levels rise?

Also read the article!

You in Melbs yeah?

4. Collapse Details

Figured it might be that but with the Libs in control, we don't have to worry about refugees. They'll stop the boats. Though now that Dutton hasn't won it may not be so safe.

Yep, Melbourne born and raised.

5. Collapse Details

Current Events & Politics

Lets see them stop the boats when all the countries they'd normally send them too either say "fuck you we've got too many boats ourselves", or are themselves the people on the boats.

6. Collapse Details

Many concerns about waves of climate change refugees (economic and then refugees from uninhabitable areas) were recently raised at a conference about worldwide infectious disease pandemics. It wasn't a specific area of discussion, so it was quite interesting how often it came up.

Scientists!

7. Collapse Details

Senior Moderator
    Music Discussion
    Quote Originally Posted by quiet roar View Post
    Figured it might be that but with the Libs in control, we don't have to worry about refugees. They'll stop the boats. Though now that Dutton hasn't won it may not be so safe.

Yep, Melbourne born and raised.
    I just look at the travesties that are Nauru and Manus Island when I hear "stop the boats".

Anyway, I'm sure Dutton will get a turn in the big seat soon enough, all of these clowns just seem to swap it willy-nilly these days (and by clowns, I mean the hobos in the Labor Party too).

8. Collapse Details

They never "stopped" any boats - they just declared all intersections of refugee/people smuggler vessels "on water matters" or some shit, which made it a jailable offence for anyone involved to discuss publicly (naval personnel, NGO workers, medical professionals, security or journalists working in or around the detention centres). The LNP know it plays well to the "foreigners can get fucked" crowd - but that's the lib/lab "major parties" for ya - cheap and nasty.

I've long suspected that the government demonisation of asylum seekers that has been going on in australia for the last ~17 years has been calculated not just to pander to anti-muslim xenophobia, but also the "long game" - the awareness of a refugee crisis that makes the current global refugee problem seem relatively minor.

Which is not to ignore the fact that the current humanitarian crisis has been caused in part by climate change (especially in regards to people fleeing Syria, which has been hit very hard with droughts).

Climate change refugees are sadly a contemporary reality - not some future possibility.
    Personally i think Australia (and any other country with the economic and/or geographic/demographic means to do whatever it to help people) has a moral responsibility to assist people that need to relocate due to the various hardships caused by climate change.
    We are all in this together, and we (australia) bear equal responsibility for climate change with everyone else on earth - if not more, due to our dubious honour of being one of the highest-greenhouse-gas-emitters per capita in the world.

I guess i see human need as human need - no matter what is printed on your passport or the national borders in which you were born.
    Climate change is truly the biggest challenge of our lifetimes, and i see brave leadership - not anti-immigrant populism etc - as something of a litmus test of political leadership as it relates to the refugee crisis it presents.
    ✺✹✺✹BLUA✺✹✺✹