Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

**Please help with the upcoming FORUM PRUNE**

Xorkoth

Administrator
Staff member
As you may have noticed, at the top of the forum is a notice that on August 27th (in 4 days 8o), there will be a "forum prune". This means that everything that hasn't been posted in since 2010 or earlier will be deleted permanently. This includes stuff in the PD Index that hasn't been touched in years, as well as old threads that have value or sentimentality. Everything that will end up being deleted is in the PENDING DELETION AUG27 sub-forum (right under the PD Archive at the top of the main forum page) - link here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/299-PENDING-DELETION-27AUG. Basically, what we need to do is go through it and just post in any thread we want to keep with something like "bump" (what you post doesn't matter, just that there is a recent post date). I urge you all to lend a hand with this, especially you who have been part of our community for a long time. Anything we don't catch will be lost forever and it's a lot of work, so we would really appreciate some help from the community. :)

The reason this prune is happening is to reduce storage space and more importantly, to make the database more efficient again. I'm sure you've all been noticing the cloudflare issues. This should help out with that problem a lot. The last time we did a prune was in maybe 2008 so they don't happen often but they're a big deal when they do.

Thanks!

Nice man, thanks! I did a search for "dandy" so I could bump all the Big & Dandy threads that were in there, and did that. Busy day at work but I'll do some more later.

I just found out from senior staff that in fact everything from before 2018 is up for pruning, but we're doing it in batches in PD since the forum has so many threads. So right now we're doing 2010 and earlier. After we get done with that, we'll do the next couple of years, and so on. Lots of work... so anyone with time/inclination, who loves PD, and wants the good stuff kept, please, do your part and BUMP threads in the sub-forum I linked to that you want to save! And to make it easier for everyone, it would be cool to state which pages you've done, like perpetualdawn has done. Of course, feel free to look back through what others have done, too, in case you see something you want to save that someone else missed. :)

I know it's a hassle... but hey, at least these only happen maybe once every 10 years.

Oh wow... everything before 2018...

It's a hassle, but also an opportunity to improve the overall quality of the archive. For sure *some* quality stuff will be overlooked and lost in this, but on the whole, we'll be greatly improving the Signal:Noise ratio of the archive.

^^ Good call bumping all the Dandies! Definitely our greatest assets on here.

Not sure to be honest. We put a lot of work into it but does anyone read the scraps? Well I already bumped them, maybe not all of them though. Couldn't hurt, I mean 95% of everything is probably gonna go as it is.

I made it up through page 29. Back into the 2003 days... man this place was different then!

OK I made it to the last page, page 34.

Didn't find anything else I thought was worth keeping from 29-34.

Definitely would be worth others going through the whole thing, I would have missed some stuff for sure, plus much personal bias etc.

Is this the forum prune everyone keeps talking about?
NSFW:

bigstock-Prunes-on-a-wooden-background-82951748.jpg

Yeah it's supposed to help keep everything regular, I hear...

Sometime today they should be removing everything already in there that isn't bumped, and bringing in the next batch (which will be some of the newer years since the last date cutoff). And then we'll have a week to do that group.

I've been through the whole thing many times, I think we're good on the current crop. I've also been going through the PD Index links one at a time and bumping everything and fixing some links that pointed to bluelight.ru. You may have noticed the front page full of bumped Big and Dandies. =D

I started at the back and went to page 29. Prolly.bumped some.dumb shit but oh well. BL was so different when it was .nu and .run didn't even get into rc's and psychs (aside from a few mushr9om trips in 04/05) until 2011. Was posting more in other sections.

Well there was a lot of RC discussion even back in 2000, 2001, operation web tryp was in 2001. But back then it was only a few, mainly AMT, 2C-T-7, and 5-MeO-DiPT.

Bump whatever, no harm in keeping anything worth keeping even if just to one person. We're still getting rid of the vast majority.

Yah I can tell. It's so weird to see people obsessing over shit that the masses didn't get for like 10-15 more years. I don't wanna lose any of it :-(

I don't have permission to post in the main pruning thread so I'll put this here.

It boggles my mind that permanently deleting anything is even being considered in 2018. Personally, I don't care whether it's removed from the site or not but there needs to be an archival copy kept somewhere. The cost of a hard drive to store it on should be less than a couple hundred dollars. Please, dump the database, make a torrent or whatever so that those of us who want to help keep an archival copy can do so. I would be happy to donate towards this effort.