• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Canada - Quebecer died from high-alcohol drink Four Loko and cold medication: coroner

S.J.B.

Bluelight Crew
Quebecer died from high-alcohol drink Four Loko and cold medication: coroner
Caroline St-Pierre
CTV News
August 21st, 2018

MONTREAL -- A Quebec coroner says a man's death last December was caused by a combination of cold medication and four cans of a sugary high-alcohol drink.

Pierre Parent, 30, drank two cans of Four Loko before going to his parents for dinner last Christmas Day and knocking back a 473-millilitre bottle of Smirnoff.

Four Loko has an alcohol content of 11.9 per cent, while Smirnoff has an alcohol content of 4.8 per cent.

Garneau concluded that Parent died from cardiac arrhythmia caused by a combination of alcohol, caffeine and chlorpheniramine, an antihistamine. The source of the caffeine was unclear.

In an interview, Garneau said Parent had a weakened heart and a "very, very sick liver," adding the organ was "compatible with a problem of alcoholism."

Read the full story here.

in canada things must be different but here a can of 4 loko is 12% and smirnoff is 40%, though it doesn't specify how much meds were taken this seem like a very bad combo

Four Loko has an alcohol content of 11.9 per cent, while Smirnoff has an alcohol content of 4.8 per cent.

The 4.8% Smirnoff has got to be a misprint.

The source of the caffeine was unclear.
Isn't mixing alcohol and caffeine a thing now so you can be wide awake and wasted at the same time? I thought it was common knowledge that Four Loko has caffeine in it.

Last edited:
^ they removed the caffeine from "four loco" a while back, after a run of bad PR involving people dying from alcohol poisoning. At least here in the states, not sure about Canada (land of 4.8% Smirnoff, lol)

Pretty sure they're talking about the Smirnoff wine cooler things. And no caffeine in four loko.

It's a sad story, yet they make it sound like if you combine alcohol and caffeine you are going to die.

I drink too much coffee and while I don't drink as much alcohol as I used to, when I do go out to a party or bar to really get drunk I will usually have a strong caffeine buzz as well cause I love the combo, and I don't think I'm in danger.

But this guy clearly had a bad heart and bad liver and was drinking multiple four locos a day so I think it just got to the point of it being too much and this was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Like this part:

"That's the message we're trying to get across," he said. "There are maybe people who don't know their liver is that sick and who continue to consume this sugary drink that masks the flavour of the alcohol.
"And if ever they take, without knowing it, caffeine or two pills, they will find themselves in a similar situation."

Does this not seem like dramatization?

How many people are there out there who combine caffeine and alcohol and are fine?

Isn't it the sheer volume of this guy's daily alcohol intake, and whatever it was that caused heart problems (which I'd doubt would be the caffeine alone) that was his undoing, and not just the combo of alcohol and caffeine?

Plus, he had a very weak liver, and took Tylenol while drinking which wasn't smart.

I'd imagine most people with healthy livers could pull off 2 Tylenols while drinking, but it's still very unwise.

I mean, I'd at least save it for the day after when you are no longer drunk, or use Aleve/Advil or Aspirin for the headache instead which aren't as hard on the liver.

when i read it i thought it was saying he was taking ccc's or dxm to get high alongside the alcohol which is what i assumed to have caused his death, all the summary says is chlorpheniramine which ccc's do contain but im sure other meds do too
i just read the full article which states he drank 2 4 lokos at home a smirnoff ice at his parents and then another 2 4 lokos and 2 tylenol. so a total of 4 4 lokos which is quite a bit of alcohol